Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xytiz
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

Re: Daisy chain L1 classic and L1 Model 1 with T1 mixer

Hi Fish-54,

The event went really well last Sunday. Everyone were super impressed with sound quality and output. 

Thanks a lot again. I had to keep the volume at 5  on channel 1 for L1 classic and L1 Model 1 . Keeping it at 3 was making my master volume go all the way to max on T1 mixer and I did not want it that way because there will be no room for volume increase during the performance. 

Fish-54 , Tell me one thing since L1s disperse sound almost 180 degrees. Can I keep them in the center of the hall backing each other (L1 classic and Model 1) to get a 360 degrees sound ?  One of the speakers can face the stage and other face the wall in front of the stage. ? I am asking about this setup because one of the speaker will server as a monitor speaker to the artists ?

As most of the time keeping behind the artists is not an option especially if its a south Indian classical music and I have noticed there will be some feedback once in a while that I want to avoid completely.. 

Please kindly request to reply when you find time. I am in no hurry at all. My next gig will be sometime in Feb or March. 

Thanks again 

xytiz

Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: Daisy chain L1 classic and L1 Model 1 with T1 mixer

Hello again xytiz,

Glad to hear your event went well.  Your volume adjustment made perfect sense -- I'm glad you made changes to recommendations to solve a problem!

Regarding a "back-to-back" setup:  I have no experience with such a configuration, but am thinking it may be an acoustic nightmare.  Depending on your space, I'm thinking there may be a lot of echo and cancellation.  The 180 degree dispersion is not cut-and-dried, and echoes from one end of the space may "muddy up" the sound pointed directly at the other end.

Again, if you have time to test, try a technique that others on the forum have used with great success:  Place the two L1's on either side and slightly in front of the performers, and turn them in slightly.  This way the performers can hear the the sound evenly (because of the 180 degree dispersion) without being directly in front of them.

Another concept for abating feedback (and very important when using systems with wide dispersion) is to minimize the number of microphones heard through any single L1.  The original L1 "ideal" concept was to have one performer per L1 (one vocalist and their instrument.)  In many situations this is not practical because of expense and space.  However, the L1's are versatile and powerful enough to overcome some of these hurdles.  However, when using two microphones through a system, the opportunity for feedback doesn't double, it increases roughly fourfold!  If using three mics, it is exponentially higher.  Also, having a mic heard through two systems is more prone to feedback.  Since you have three mics, your feedback threshold is much lower.

You might try plugging two of your mic's directly into channel 2 on each tower (with the appropriate mic presets.)  Yes, the vocalists will only be heard through "their" L1, but I think you may be surprised how much further you will be able to push those mic's before feedback.

You know your needs the most, and I think you're already getting a lot of great experience with these systems.  As I said before, don't be afraid to experiment!