Highlighted
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Do I need A mIxer? Using a L1 Compact with TC Helicon Play Acoustic

Newbie here in the world of compact PA's. I just ordered a L1 Compact and a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. One vocal/ one acoustic guitar is all I plan on using this system for... Can I get a decent mix prior to going out of the mono output to the L1 Compact ? Or Do I really need to think about getting the tonematch mixer or some other type of mixer ( Mackie, etc) to interface with the Compact? Anyone out there can lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Re: Do I need A mIxer? Using a L1 Compact with TC Helicon Play Acoustic

Hey DWR. I had a similar set up with the Compact years ago, and was unhappy with the built in “tonematch” effects. So I always used a tonematch mixer with the AC adapter and it sounded great in very small rooms. I ended up upgrading to a full L1 system when I outgrew my compact  

However, I did just get the S1 pro for smaller gigs and I am blown away by the built in effects. Hopefully the compact got an upgrade somewhere along the way and the built in tonematch  sounds better now.

i would definitely try out a simple mixer with basic built in effects (delay, reverb, etc.) first. Between that and the voice play you should be able to get a cool mix, and save about $400 or so on a tonematch mixer. 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DWR,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.

DWR posted:

Newbie here in the world of compact PA's. I just ordered a L1 Compact and a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. One vocal/ one acoustic guitar is all I plan on using this system for... Can I get a decent mix prior to going out of the mono output to the L1 Compact ? Or Do I really need to think about getting the tonematch mixer or some other type of mixer ( Mackie, etc) to interface with the Compact? Anyone out there can lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

You may not need a mixer. The TC-Helicon Play Acoustic can mixer Vocal and guitar down to a single output. I used to do this with my TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX. It worked fine.  You can follow the link to an article about using the TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX with at T1, but all the concepts should be equally applicable to your Play Acoustic and the L1® Compact.

Does that help?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Sure does. I was thinking about trying that first. I appreciate it!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I took a quick look at the manuals and it appears that the TC ONLY provides two channels -- vocal (with effects) and guitar as balanced XLR outputs.

The L1 Compact has two channels but the 1st channel is hard-wired/optimized with Tonematch for a microphone so that the 2nd input channel (with Tonematch set OFF) appears to be the only appropriate one for your voice and guitar - with Tonematch turned off.

So I'd say you will need to get a 2 channel mixer (2 XLR inputs) and mix the output from the TC before running the eventual mix to channel 2 on the L1.  You can get a decent mixer for about $50.  MAKE SURE that it accepts 2 XLR inputs -- many "2 channel mixers" have only one XLR and one 1/4" input.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

PS: I've been using a Mackie 402VLZ for years to control my mix to the PA without having to go to the board.  It's about $100 - better preamps, etc.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DWR,

Here's an excerpt from page 31 of the TC-Helicon Play Acoustic Manual

TC-Helicon Play Acoustic MonoVocal

I'd start with this approach before buying a mixer.

You can also try Vocal / Guitar (DI) setting. Run the microphone output to L1® Compact Channel 1, and the guitar to L1® Compact Channel 2.   You may need to adjust the TC-Helicon Tone settings to Less Bright. See page 30 in the manual for more information.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Great stuff here! So it is possible to run a mic output to the L1 Compact Channel 1? Is brightness the primary issue when doing this or is gain also an issue because of the default tonematch built into the system? That would definitely give a little more flexibility if I was able to connect via separate channels.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

@st suggestion is a good one to try first.

Just an FYI if you don't already have one you'll need an XLR to 1/4" BALANCED (TRS) cable from the TC to the 1/4" input on channel 2 of the L1...

Highlighted
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Thanks for all of the insight.  This is all new to me as I am leaving the huge PAs and bar band scene behind and trying the solo acoustic stuff! Hopefully this system will work for my needs.