cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

Does anyone here use vocal doubling?

I've noticed on most records, the singer's voice is doubled, ever so slightly. It's so common you almost don't even notice it sometimes, but it's there.

Do any of you people use that effect live? That is, a very slight delay on the vocal to thicken it up?

If you do, how much delay to you use?

FYI, I'm not talking reverb, here.
24 REPLIES 24
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Re: Does anyone here use vocal doubling?

CSN&Y would sing each part 4 times four a total of 16 tracks for that "Thick" sound. It is a common studio trick to double a part. John Lennon was a master at it.
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

I really don't like using doubling live. I think it sounds funky. To each his own.
Eric_sson
Collaborator
Registered since

May 28, 2009

I use doubling for effect on some songs which is really cool and get the effect by using the dedicated Doubler in my TC Helicon Voicelive 2 which sounds really good.

Trying to get this effect using delay alone can be tricky as you require a little detuning on one voice combined with the original, delay times are quite small and you need to experiment with the delay time and detune amount to achieve the required effect.

The minimum settings usually give the best results where the effect is hardly noticeable until you turn it off.
Eric_sson
Collaborator
Registered since

May 28, 2009

Further to my previous message:

I find subtle effects like this and a little harmony used occaisionally add interest to a solo artists voice.
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

Thanks to all!

Tom: I agree I think...I've heard it used very poorly and I thought it was awful. But as Eric'sson said, it's probably a very picky setting.

I was actually asking for the purpose of using it while recording demos with my T1, I don't know that I would use it live unless I really liked the sound.
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

PS: A very late happy birthday to you, Roy!
Litesnsirens
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2010

I'm not a big fan of using it on my own voice, but, having picked up a TC helicon Voicelive play in the summer and trying out a bunch of the presets, I came to realize that having the right effects for the right song makes a huge difference. So for a song like "revolution" I use the doubling effect. For rockabilly type tunes like early elvis or stray cats I use a Slapback delay at about 125ms. (I think you should actually mess with that type of delay setting its a pretty signature tone and sounds a bit like doubling).
I also sprinkle in a little megaphone effect when needed.

Depending on the song sometimes a heavy dosage of the effect is warranted to get "that sound". It most of the time I like very subtle settings. You can probably get a good slapback delay out of the T1, so give it a shot. Set the mix fairly high until you get the right amount of feedback (repeats) dialled in and then roll it back until it sounds close to what you want. I only suggest this because its the closest you'll get just using the T1.

The Voicelive 2 is the cat's <[meow]> but I settled for the Voicelive touch GTX. A because I can fit it on my guitar pedal board and it's less than half the price. It does the trick for what I need it to do. Sound quality is great, it just lacks the flexibility and a few features of the big brother. Still I am envious of the Voicelive 2 owners.
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Tres,

I don't use it in the studio. It used to be pretty common, but all I hear now is ugly auto pitch.
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi Tres,

Talk a little bit about your recording setup, the devices you are using and the signal path through them.

O..