cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Doing online performances with S1 or L1

I’m seeing several folks mention here about doing online performances. This is new to me and I would love to “hear” (no pun intended) what medium is being used, how did you set it up, what’s involved etc. I’m not looking for super professional setups, something more casual.

I’d like to do some performances for some of the retire communities we have played for in the past as they are so quarantined now for their own safety.

I hope this topic is not too far off from the purpose of this community, but given the dire circumstances we are in, hopefully we have some latitude. 

23 REPLIES 23
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Doing online performances with S1 or L1

Hi, Pete.

Most if not all of us are performers. A conversation on how we bring our music to our audiences is completely appropriate here.

ST

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Since it really isn’t totally Bose related, I wanted to be sensitive to that. But I think others would benefit as I’m not a full time professional by any means and this topic is intriguing. Thanks for your reply.

Bob_S
Registered since

Mar 3, 2020

scottcald
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 6, 2012

Those using Facebook live, are you just using camera audio or are you creating a mix for it? 

Bob_S
Registered since

Mar 3, 2020

You can do either, depends on the situation. I see many that are just using the phone mics.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

If you know the Canadian band Blue Rodeo, you may of Jim Cuddy.

He is doing a concert on Facebook live in 20 minutes.

It's not my intent to promote the show, but I think it's timely and relevant to our discussion.

Edit: Link to the Facebook Live broadcast

ST

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

The S1 or L1 might be useful if you are playing an electric instrument or using a looper (which you'll need to monitor) but a  decent mic or two (maybe plus a DI for the guitar) is probably a better option combined with an USB audio interface and, obviously, a camera. 

YouTube mangles your audio but the better you put in the better it'll sound when it reaches your audience.

One huge thing is the acoustics in the space in which you record or stream your videos. A typical living room will sound a little better than something like a conservatory or other mostly empty space but most domestic settings sound really bad (as evinced on 99% of YT videos). Hanging a few duvets on mic stands just off camera can make a useful difference, close miking will help too but to get decent sound in an untreated (acoustically speaking) space is pretty much impossible.

I'm happy to link to more specific advice should anybody want to pursue the matter further.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

I'm watching the end of a very humble Facebook live broadcast. It's the gal (with the grumpy neighbours) I mentioned yesterday.

It's just her with her guitar, a mic, an amp off-camera in the clearly untreated room and a little too much reverb for my taste. But she's singing her heart out, and it's Good enough for live music

She's getting lots of comments. Someone just asked her about her gear.

She's using her phone, an S1 Pro, Shure SM58, Martin D13. That's not a plug for Bose. She just gave us gear rundown.

She's got a clear grasp of Perfection is the enemy of good.

Her music, sincerity, character, are coming through clear as a bell.

ST

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Well that was interesting. (Jim Cuddy)

Last night all alone in a barroom, I met a girl with a pint in her purse, ....... I used to sing that one a little different.

O..