Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Don't know what to choose.

We are a 3 piece band - we play small gigs (less than 100). 2 mics, 2 guitars, bass, cajon. Originally I thought the L1 compact with a mixer might work for us, but my husband was concerned about the bass. Checked out the L1 1S/B1 online.......so much info, my head is buzzing. Can anyone give me any pointers about what to choose. Thanks. 

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: Don't know what to choose.

Hi Mabess

We are an acoustic folk trio when our daughter joins us on her upright bass. 2 guitars, 1 bass, 2 vocals. We play a variety of venues from 100+ people outdoors to smaller coffee houses under 40 people.  

We opted for the L1 Model 2 with 2 B1s with a Yamaha MG series 12 channel mixer. The L1S wasn’t available at the time. For us, we find this setup ideal. The L1M2 can be used in such a variety of venues we’ve never had an issue with not enough sound or bass. Earlier this year we augmented our setup with a S1 Pro for use as a monitor, extension speaker, or to use instead of the L1 in smaller venues when we play as a duo without our daughter.

While you might get away with the L1 Compact, I think for your size group, array of instruments, and audience, you’d be better off with at least the 1S.

You will have more flexibility in bass modules to go with 1 or 2 B1s or the larger B2. There are advantages and disadvantages of the B2 and opinions vary as to which is “better”. If you’re looking to accentuate the drum sound, I’d suspect using a B2 might be better. It’s just bigger and heavier to carry around. Some folks have expressed its too much bass, but it has a 3 position switch to go from full out to toned down to simulate a B1.

Here are a few links to forum topics to check out that may help in your decision.

L1 Application Guide

L1S vs L1M2

B1 vs B2

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

Hi Mabees,

I have a 4-piece (i.e., four-vocals, 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 percussionist with a lot of toys) and we use the L1 M2 B2 with a T1. We also use a Soundcraft EPM8 to handle the extra inputs. This system serves us very well. If I were in the market now, I would purchase the T8 and eliminate the need for the auxiliary EPM8 board. The system is easy to store, transport, set up, and mix. I have been in more bands than you can count over the past 40+ years and this is the best system for small to mid-sized venues that I have had! You wont regret the investment! 

Good Luck,

Mr. Hoon

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 26, 2018

Hi 

I do mainly solo work (vocal mic, guitar/ mandolin and full range backing tracks) to similar size audiences. I now use an L1s with a B1 and it is powerful enough. In a bigger venue I have used an extra B1.

Like you I didn’t know what to choose.

I have an L1 mk1 that I bought initially and is now for sale as I found the power stand a bit awkward in the boot of my convertible.

I also bought a B2 as I thought I would sell one of the B1s with my original system. It is awesome but an overkill in most venues. If I was running a disco I would be keeping it. 

I’m in the UK (Carliisle) and you would be most welcome to try the two systems to help in making your decision 

Good luck

Andy

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Mr. Hoon posted:

Hi Mabees,

I have a 4-piece (i.e., four-vocals, 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 percussionist with a lot of toys) and we use the L1 M2 B2 with a T1. We also use a Soundcraft EPM8 to handle the extra inputs. This system serves us very well. If I were in the market now, I would purchase the T8 and eliminate the need for the auxiliary EPM8 board. The system is easy to store, transport, set up, and mix. I have been in more bands than you can count over the past 40+ years and this is the best system for small to mid-sized venues that I have had! You wont regret the investment! 

Good Luck,

Mr. Hoon

Ta Mr Hoon, think we are leaning towards the L1 1S/B1.  We'll also check the T8 out. Just have a small 6 input mixer with the old set up. Thank you for your help. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

CityFolk posted:

Hi Mabess

We are an acoustic folk trio when our daughter joins us on her upright bass. 2 guitars, 1 bass, 2 vocals. We play a variety of venues from 100+ people outdoors to smaller coffee houses under 40 people.  

We opted for the L1 Model 2 with 2 B1s with a Yamaha MG series 12 channel mixer. The L1S wasn’t available at the time. For us, we find this setup ideal. The L1M2 can be used in such a variety of venues we’ve never had an issue with not enough sound or bass. Earlier this year we augmented our setup with a S1 Pro for use as a monitor, extension speaker, or to use instead of the L1 in smaller venues when we play as a duo without our daughter.

While you might get away with the L1 Compact, I think for your size group, array of instruments, and audience, you’d be better off with at least the 1S.

You will have more flexibility in bass modules to go with 1 or 2 B1s or the larger B2. There are advantages and disadvantages of the B2 and opinions vary as to which is “better”. If you’re looking to accentuate the drum sound, I’d suspect using a B2 might be better. It’s just bigger and heavier to carry around. Some folks have expressed its too much bass, but it has a 3 position switch to go from full out to toned down to simulate a B1.

Here are a few links to forum topics to check out that may help in your decision.

L1 Application Guide

L1S vs L1M2

B1 vs B2

Hi CityFolk, ta for the info & links - I'll check them out. Think we are beginning to lean towards the L1 1S/B1  now. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Ocheye posted:

Hi 

I do mainly solo work (vocal mic, guitar/ mandolin and full range backing tracks) to similar size audiences. I now use an L1s with a B1 and it is powerful enough. In a bigger venue I have used an extra B1.

Like you I didn’t know what to choose.

I have an L1 mk1 that I bought initially and is now for sale as I found the power stand a bit awkward in the boot of my convertible.

I also bought a B2 as I thought I would sell one of the B1s with my original system. It is awesome but an overkill in most venues. If I was running a disco I would be keeping it. 

I’m in the UK (Carliisle) and you would be most welcome to try the two systems to help in making your decision 

Good luck

Andy

Ta Andy for your kind offer. You are a bit far away for us. We're in Cornwall. Everyone's comments are proving really helpful, and we think we'll probably go with the L1 1S/B1. Thanks again. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

At least with a B1 to start, you can always add another later if you need more bass. I think you’re making a wise decision with the 1S.

I love Cornwall. I spent some time at Oxford University many years ago now, but feel like the UK is my second home. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 3, 2018

Lots of good advice from the previous posts.  Your mixer will probably work fine with an L1 - certainly worth testing before splashing out on a T8.  If you can afford it, personally I would go for the L1M2 with B1's (or the quite heavy B2 if you need more punch) - power in reserve in case a bigger gig comes along.

We are a 4-piece rock band with 2 x L1M2's + B2's.  This is easily the best setup we have ever had, in terms of the clarity, projection and distribution of the sound. It is also much easier to carry around (even with B2's) than a conventional PA system plus it's quicker and easier to set up and use.  For small venues we could make do with just one system.

We use a multi-channel mixer (as opposed to a Tonematch) which we are very familiar with and ultimately everything goes through it to the L1's, ie. 2 guitars, bass, electronic drums, 4 mics and an iPad for interval music.  The whole system works well and is very controllable.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I'm with Dave 6 - you already know your mixer so spend a little bit extra money on a L1/M2 with 2 B1 Bass units.  This would give you a system that would be great for 100 people but would also be fine for larger gigs.

I've done up to 300 people in a large hall with an L1/M2 with 2 B1s with an acoustic group Guitar, Vocals, Bass (amp and send to PA) and Cajon - and everyone in the hall was happy with the sound.