cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Duplicating the Compact Acoustic Guitar Preset with the T1

Hi Friends!

I just took delivery of my new Compact today. I'm so glad to have one of these again!

I was messing around with a couple of different guitars today plugging straight into channel 2 on the Compact with the ToneMatch setting engaged.

I really liked what I was hearing from both guitars. In fact, I think I liked the way the guitars sounded going straight into the Compact vs. through the T1. 

I read through the manual and looked at the webpage for the Compact and all it says about the channel 2 preset is that it is optimized for acoustic guitar.

Do we know what preset we are engaging on channel 2 of the Compact? And is it possible to duplicate it with the T1? 

Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Thanks!

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Duplicating the Compact Acoustic Guitar Preset with the T1

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on getting your L1® Compact.

The T1® equivalent  to the L1® Compact Channel 2 Guitar Preset is

Cheers!

ST

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Thanks ST!

That is what I thought I remembered from the old days but it sounds quite different to me. Do you know if there is any EQ or anything else applied to that preset in the Compact?

If I get a chance today I'll set everything flat on the T1 and try it again. 

This should maybe be a part of another discussion but I wonder if the trim level is part of the reason that it sounds different to me when I'm using the T1.

Thanks again!

Matt

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt,

Bose tuned the sound of the L1® Compact Channel 2 with the ToneMatch preset to sound like the L1®  Model II with the T1® set to Preset: Steelstring w/piezo. This was no further processing or EQ applied.

When you use the T1® connected to the L1® Compact Channel 2, set the ToneMatch switch on the L1® Compact to Line Level (the down position).

Set Input Trim

Turn the Trim setting up until the Trim Light is solid green with occasional flickers of yellow. Use the Trim lights as your guide. (The exact position of the Trim knob is not important).

TrimlightsOK.gif

If you see flickers of red (below), turn the Trim down. You are definitely nearing or in compression. Turn the Trim down until there are no red flickers.

TrimlightsNo.gif

At the end of the day, the L1® Compact is different from the L1® Model II in many ways. They sound similar, but they are not identical.

Having said that, I'm giving up my L1® Compacts any time soon.

Are we having fun yet?

ST

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Thanks again ST!

The trim level is an interesting thing for me to ponder and like I said, maybe belongs in a separate discussion.

Several years ago I was trying out an LR Baggs Venue DI. They have similar instructions as Bose when it comes to setting the gain on the preamp. I don't remember them exactly but it says something like the light should be into the yellow with no flashes of red or maybe occasional flashes of red.

The interesting thing to me was that if I plugged my guitar straight into the T1, lets say the "proper" gain setting was at 1 o'clock. Now if I set the gain on the Venue DI "properly" and put that in the signal chain, in order to accommodate for the much, much hotter signal I was sending the T1, I would have to adjust the gain/trim on the T1 down to say 9 o'clock. 

With the Venue DI in the chain with what they called "proper" gain setting, the sound was terrible. It was harsh, close to feeding back, over-resonant, etc. I was using all of the knobs on the Venue DI to get a pleasing tone when I had been pretty close to what I wanted tone-wise without the Venue in the chain.

I then tried something that I called "neutral gain." I kept the trim setting of the T1 in the same spot as I would with the guitar going directly into the T1. Then I put the Venue DI in the chain and adjusted the trim/gain of the Venue DI so that the trim on the T1 was still "proper." Meaning that I lowered the gain of the Venue DI using the T1 trim light as my guide vs. using the Venue trim light as my guide. I hope I'm explaining that well. I didn't have to make any adjustment to the gain/trim on the T1. I was sending the T1 the same level signal as if the Venue was not in the chain. (neutral gain = nothing added or subtracted by the external device.)

The result was a much more pleasing tone. It was nice and smooth. I was able to use the controls of the Venue DI to adjust to a particular room vs. using all of the controls just to EQ out all the junk that occurred as a result of me setting what they called "proper" gain.

I ended up in an argument with someone on another forum about this. The were insistent that I was doing this wrong simply because certain colored lights didn't light up the way the instructions said they should.

I explained that I would rather use the tools available to me to get a sound I liked vs. worrying about lighting up little lights. The interesting part is that I had also recently had some playing time through a Shertler Unico. That is considered by many to be a high end amp. It doesn't have a trim light and Shertler recommends you set the gain so that it sounds good. Using your ears instead of your eyes! What a concept! 🙂

Even with the T1, I notice a big difference in acoustic guitar tone if I'm constantly in the yellow vs. solid green with no yellow. I had a Trance Audio Amulet M in my Collings and if I was creeping into the yellow, the tone was a bit harsh to me. If I backed the trim down so that I was solid green, it really smoothed things out. 

With the Compact, there is no gain/trim control. We just plug in and turn it up. 

That's just part of what I'm pondering when going through the T1 vs. straight into the Compact.

Thanks again!

Matt