Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

EQ for Wireless Mic

Is there a more compact way to get midrange eq for my wireless mic than using my Behringer Xenyx 1002B mixer? I am a magician and I've always had to adjust midrange to avoid feedback in my microphone. When I was using a full headset mic, it wasn't much of an issue but now I'm using a Que Audio DA-12 earset mic and it's a little more prone to feedback. I don't mind bringing the 1002B mixer when I'm using two S1 Pros but, for my smaller shows, the mixer is more than I need.

Ideally, I'd like to find something really compact that can run on batteries and will allow me to adjust high, midrange and low. (If it runs on AC only but is more compact than the 1002B, I'm still interested.) Any suggestions?

17 REPLIES 17
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: EQ for Wireless Mic

Hi Michael M,

Have you tried?

• Change the position of the ToneMatch switch (Off, MIC, GUITAR)
  • Change the bass/treble controls
    • More midrange: turn down bass/treble
    • Less midrange: turn up bass/treble

ST

Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

ST posted:

Hi Michael M,

Have you tried?

• Change the position of the ToneMatch switch (Off, MIC, GUITAR)
  • Change the bass/treble controls
    • More midrange: turn down bass/treble
    • Less midrange: turn up bass/treble

ST

I tried ToneMatch at Mic & Guitar but I haven't tried Off in a while. I'll try that again.

I do adjust bass/treble but, if I go more bass, I get more feedback. I think that's kind of my issue. I have to turn the bass down to get cleaner sound out of my mic but then I get some midrange feedback. It works better for me to have more specific frequency eq adjustment. (When I used to use a lavalier mic, I used a 31-band equalizer to avoid feedback issues.)

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Try one of these?

Behringer Shark FBQ100 Automatic Feedback Destroyer with Integrated Microphone Preamp, Delay Line, Noise Gate and Compressor. 

It has to be plugged in to A/C but might do the job for you.

Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Chet posted:

Try one of these?

Behringer Shark FBQ100 Automatic Feedback Destroyer with Integrated Microphone Preamp, Delay Line, Noise Gate and Compressor. 

It has to be plugged in to A/C but might do the job for you.

That looks interesting but the reviews aren't great on its ability to reduce feedback.

Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Hi Michael M

My suggestion would be a digital Bose t1 or the newer t4 mixer. They have the tools you need (tonematch, compression, eq, limiter, noise gate, etc.) to help control feedback. You can store settings in scenes for instant recall, and they just plain sound great...

Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Harry posted:

Hi Michael M

My suggestion would be a digital Bose t1 or the newer t4 mixer. They have the tools you need (tonematch, compression, eq, limiter, noise gate, etc.) to help control feedback. You can store settings in scenes for instant recall, and they just plain sound great...

I’m sure a T4 would be a fine addition but it’s a little more than I want to spend. 

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Aloha e @Michael M, I've been experimenting with this USB powered Mixer I purchased from wish dot com that cost me $46 bucks including shipping to San Diego, California. The high and low tone controls are shelving, so they both affect the mid-range. I'm having great results with mine and so far I've only been powering it with a small USB Power Bank rechargeable battery. One of the many things I like about it is that when I use it's BlueTooth feature on Channel 3, I can adjust both the input gain and tone of the channel which aids in resolving the bass port noise on my Bose S1 Pro. The top USB input affords a DJ the ability to input their music from a laptop directly into the mixer Channel 1 and Channel 2 of this have combo 1/4' / XLR inputs and can be assigned +48V Phantom power from the mixer to both. It has an adjustable delay effect, which is high quality and clean. It has Power, Signal, Clip and +48V indicator LED's. All 3 channels have their individual peak LED's. I BlueToothed iHeart Radio from a tablet from Friday night through this mixer with earbuds plugged into the mixer's headphone out with the Clip LED occasionally blinking and left it in the hallway closet powered by a 10.4 Amp USB Power Bank Battery and the following morning, over 12 hours later, 2 of the 4 battery light power indicators on the USB Power Bank battery were still lit and the music was still playing LOUD through the earbuds. The reason I placed it in the closet, was so it would not keep my wife and I awake with the noise. From That experiment I would assume that my 10.4 Amp USB Power would power this mixer for the better part of a full 24 hour day. I'm including photos and screenshots of my mixer, screenshots of my order and a scan of the 1 page operation manual. The photo of this mixer with my Behringer Xenix 1002B will also give you a better visual of the small footprint of this mixer. It easilly fits in the top storage of my Bose S1 Pro Backpack.

https://i.imgur.com/FUiDyVx.jpg

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

@Ric That mixer looks interesting. Would the shelving make it more effective in reducing midrange feedback than the high/low eq on the S1 Pro since that's what I'm trying to control?