Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

EQ queries

Hi there 

although I`ve been gigging for quite a few years I dont pretend to know everything about EQ - with respect to graduating to a higher level of understanding I have a couple of questions 

With regard to the Tone match mixers ZEQ what are the specific frequences each of the the 3 areas (low ,mid & high) cover ? eg is low 40- 300 khz?

just so I can be sure if I see something "taking off" , I know what area to go for 

With regard to the master EQ on the T8S my question is this - if a particular frequency is problematic - weather that is coming from microphone , acoustic guitar , bass drum (or whatever) - what is the rule (or is there one ) pertaining to (say for vocals) weather one first makes cuts with the master or is it better to make those cuts specifically on the channel ?

Or does this decision vary from instrument to instrument?

Interested in peoples thoughts / experience / if there is an EQ etiquete here 🙂

Cheers & thanks in advance 

Jerome 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: EQ queries

There's a clear and concise discussion of live performance EQ here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/eq-almost-anything/

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Chet 3 posted:

There's a clear and concise discussion of live performance EQ here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/eq-almost-anything/

Thanks Chet 3 , very helpful 

as good as the article is it still ralises a few questions such as - 

talks about cutting everything below 80hz with vocals - I recently bought a Neumann Kms 105 - (this question is directed more generally but you can answer if you want ) can I assume the Bose Tone match preset has already taken these frequencies out ?

also mentioned is cutting evertying below 60 hz for acoustic guitar - there is a youtube clip where Kip Winger is playing through a Bose L1M2 saying he boosts at 50 hz  🙂

Thanks sincerley for the article it definately has some solid information 

cheers

Jerome 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I don't know what any of the presets actually do.  I rarely used them - preferred to EQ, etc. where I can see it in my mixers.

As for Kip Winger, I guess he likes the noise in the line at 50hz or unless he's one of those guys who included slapping and hitting the guitar (I don't know who he is - Ah, there's a video of him playing BASS - 40hz is the fundamental for an "E" string on a bass!) it's kind of silly to boost at 50hz since there is no acoustic guitar happening down there.  😉

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jerome,

Here are a some articles that address your questions.  They were written to describe these functions as applied to the T1 but are applicable to all ToneMatch mixers

ToneMatch® 

zEQ 

ParaEQ 

Note: the ParaEQ in the T4S and T8S have three Parametric Equalizers for each channel compared to one in the T1.

And here is a video that describes how you use all three features.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Chet 3 posted:

I don't know what any of the presets actually do.  I rarely used them - preferred to EQ, etc. where I can see it in my mixers.

As for Kip Winger, I guess he likes the noise in the line at 50hz or unless he's one of those guys who included slapping and hitting the guitar (I don't know who he is - Ah, there's a video of him playing BASS - 40hz is the fundamental for an "E" string on a bass!) it's kind of silly to boost at 50hz since there is no acoustic guitar happening down there.  😉

All good Chet ,thanks sincerley for your contribution - is a helpful article . I think Kip WInger does like hitting /slapping his guitar (as do I ) .It could have been anyone though - was just pointing out his point of difference at 50hz  🙂  . Yes hes more known as a bass player/ vocalist . cheers 🙂

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Hi ST

Thanks for your reply , a lot of usefuly and interesting informational - not sure my queries were answered with regard to room / channel EQ , where in the frequency spectrum Bose places its Low/Mid & Highs with regard to Zeq

& a question that was born out of Chet 3`s sweetwater article regarding the Neumann mike 

Speaking of which I picked up on recently -have done a couple of gigs - its a fantastic mike , no feedback issues(re a previous post ) - yes another subject but I actually feels it inspires me to sing better 

cheers & happy gigging to all 

Jerome

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jerome,

Jerome Hillier posted:

Hi ST

Thanks for your reply , a lot of usefuly and interesting informational - not sure my queries were answered with regard to room / channel EQ , where in the frequency spectrum Bose places its Low/Mid & Highs with regard to Zeq

The frequency centers for zEQ shift based on the ToneMatch Preset you are using.

Here is an excerpt from the article  zEQ  article.

Official Description

From the T1 ToneMatch™ Audio Engine web page

Proprietary zEQ tone controls let you make further adjustments after selecting your ToneMatch preset. Ordinary tone controls are generic by design, with "High," "Mid," and "Low" controls spread out across the entire musical spectrum. But with the touch of a button, Bose zEQ automatically shifts the range of these controls to correspond directly to the range of your instrument. This innovative technology gives you more precise tone control, so it's easier to fine-tune your sound.

The Problem

Most are familiar with the frustration with using the fixed tone controls on a mixer when the controls don't match the voice or instrument that's being equalized. For example, the bass control usually does nothing to equalize a trumpet. Similarly, the high tone control usually does nothing to help equalize a bass guitar.

More sophisticated parametric equalizers exist on more expensive mixers but they require a much higher level of experience to operate skillfully. The user must determine the center frequency, the width of filter (the Q) and the boost or cut.

zEQ

zEQ is a technology that's made possible by ToneMatch technology. When an L1 user selects a ToneMatch preset, they are helping to identify the instrument they are using (or in the case of a vocal microphone, that they're a vocalist). With this information, it's possible to design custom low, mid, and high tone controls to match the instrument or voice.

Thus, when you go to adjust the tone controls in zEQ, you will hear changes that are most useful for the instrument being used, or the human voice.

More detail continues in the article

zEQ  

& a question that was born out of Chet 3`s sweetwater article regarding the Neumann mike 

Speaking of which I picked up on recently -have done a couple of gigs - its a fantastic mike , no feedback issues(re a previous post ) - yes another subject but I actually feels it inspires me to sing better 

cheers & happy gigging to all 

Jerome

Congratulations on getting the Neumann KMS 105. I enjoy mine every time I use it (several times a week).  I hope you do too.

ST