Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 22, 2016

Electric guitar

What is the best way, in your experience with L1 Model 2 with T1, to get a good electric guitar sound. A real mic'd amp?... a multi fx unit?.... an amp simulator pedal? Do these work best on the T1 FLAT setting or via one of its mic'd amp simulators? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Electric guitar

Hi Jumper,

I'm glad that you joined us. Welcome to the community.

JUMPER posted:

What is the best way, in your experience with L1 Model 2 with T1, to get a good electric guitar sound. A real mic'd amp?... a multi fx unit?.... an amp simulator pedal?

This is a big question. There are lots of answers and they probably as varied as you would get asking, "what's the best guitar?".

Your L1® Model II with T1® will faithfully deliver whatever you give it, throughout the room. For some, a good electric guitar sound is the sound of an electric guitar through an amp. If you're a purist, only an amp sounds like an amp. But I'm not suggesting that they are the only way to get a good electric guitar sound.

A real mic'd amp

If you have an amp that you like and you've had good results putting a mic on it, then that's a great way to go.  The downsides are weight, complexity, and stage volume.  It can be tough to get great tone at low volume. If your amp needs to be loud to get your tone, that can be difficult to manage on stage.

... "in my experience"

I haven't carried a real guitar amp to a gig (very often) since I got my first L1®.  It's too much work and if there's any benefit to an amp, I think that's lost on the audience. We could talk for days about being inspired to play better when you enjoy the sound (of a real amp), but let's not.

A multi-fx unit

You'd want one that has an includes speaker cabinet emulation. If it's designed to plug into a guitar amp, this may not be the best choice. Many of these units include amp simulation built-in.

An amp simulator pedal

These can serve you well too. And this opens a world of possibilities if you need it lots of choices.

I got the L1® for lots of reason, but simplicity and portability were two of the big ones. An amp simulator and some effects pedals, or a multi-fx unit with amp simulations - either can be simple and portable. I've had several devices like this. They've served me well with my T1®/L1®.

... "in my experience"

I use a Kemper Profiler. That for me was the fastest way to get to guitar sounds that I enjoyed playing with little or no effort. I'm not one to invest hours getting exactly the right sound out of my guitar rig. I want to find an amp profile I like and start playing. I play in lots of different situations so I need to have access to lots of different amp profiles. But you may not need that. 

Please tell us about your music and maybe someone can suggest something more specific to what you are doing.

Do these work best on the T1 FLAT setting or via one of its mic'd amp simulators? 

There are some ToneMatch® settings to try.

Category: Electric Guitar
Preset: General Processor

Category: Electric Guitar
Preset: Flat, E. Guitar, zEQ

The second one works well for me.

How's that for a start?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 22, 2016

Hi ST...this was my first post on Bose site and I was knocked out by your instant response! Mighty detailed and very helpful. To date I have been getting a decent sound (solo vocal/guitar with back tracks) with...DeArmond M75T guitar through Zoom G1 multifx pedal into the T1 (set to mic'ed amp preset). I am just awaiting delivery of a Zoom G2X pedal with an integral volume pedal and slightly more sophisticated EQ. If I work in  bands on guitar I use my Fender Mustang amp..this has a great Fender Deluxe Reverb simulator (set clean) which unfortunately is lacking on the Zoom pedals so I am considering buying.. the Joyo American sound pedal and either using this with the new Zoom (amp simulator set to OFF) or maybe no Zoom at all but a Boss Overdrive and a Boss chorus pedal. I find for my repertoire..one good guitar sound covers everything..so long as I can use chorus or overdrive sometimes plus having control over volume output.

I have been very impressed with the Bose PA system...it's sounds like all the other PAs I have used in the past were supplied with cotton wool ear plugs! 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jumper,

I've heard some great music through Zoom gear.

It was fun reading about your signal chain and what you're doing. 

I can completely relate to playing an entire night with a good basic amp sound and some minor variations. Before I got the Kemper I mentioned above, I would sometimes use a Mesa Boogie V-Twin. I used that to get some decent tube character. Then I used the T1® for some reverb, delay, or modulation effects. This setup was not suitable for quick changes mid-song, but I don't do a lot of that. I work the guitar more than the effects. 

It sounds like you are in for a lot of fun with your L1®. But be ready for this. The clarity can be inspiring as it reveals things that you might not have heard before.

Here are some notes for you.

ST