Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Re: Eleven Years of Bose

It's what photographers used to say when the black wore off their cameras - exposing the brass beneath.
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Hi Tom,

quote:
brassed out ... It's what photographers used to say when the black wore off their cameras - exposing the brass beneath.

I didn't know that either. I'm regularly amazed at some of the stuff you can learn on this forum.

Tony
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

And I'm just talking about the general shine on the L1 casing and small nicks and dings. Each one tells a story. A friend of mine said he never liked a pair of boots or a hat until they had a little patina and a few scuff marks. You should have seen his first-gen iPhone before he replaced it. It did look good with the wear showing on it. If I wasn't a little persnickety I'd let my things look that way too.
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

quote:
persnickety

We don't have that word in the english english language. I got the gist but looked it up to see if it was american or both. Aparently just american. Cool.

I tend to take really good care of my things too. You should see my Les Paul from 1983 (I think, without checking the serial number). One or two slight indentations from trouser buckles on the back. Apart from that it's in almost pristine condition. It's also seen a lot of polish over the years too ...
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

I believe it was April of 2004 when we bought three L1 Classics for our cover band. Then a 4th a few months later.

Since then I've personally acquired a few more, a Model 1, and a couple of Model IIs with all the trimmings, and a nice collection of B1s...which have never failed over the years.

Some of that stuff has a lot of "battle scars"...but the sound is still pristine. We still use L1s for every kind of venue imaginable, I can't imagine using anything else.

I know I'm a rare occurrence here anymore, but I appreciate all the help, support and friendship you guys have given over the Years. Being associated with Bose Users has been an incredible experience for me.

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Jeff!

Great to see you.

I was thinking back on some of our conversations early on and remembering your photos.

I hope you don't mind if I post this one. It came up in a discussion
The Problem with not having Monitors out front is: (Drumr)

--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

You talked about the "Pied Piper" effect.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

I just looked over at my gear rack and saw this poster.

Notice the date.

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Jeff!

Great to see you.

I was thinking back on some of our conversations early on and remembering your photos.

I hope you don't mind if I post this one. It came up in a discussion
The Problem with not having Monitors out front is: (Drumr)

You talked about the "Pied Piper" effect.

Haha, that's hilarious ST. Thanks for bringing that up...so many good memories...on so many levels!
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Lots of reminders here of the "early days"

While I joined the forum in May of 2004, I didn't purchase until the fall. When I first learned of the L1, I had just purchased a complete new PA system that featured Bose 402IIs and MB4 bass modules.

Some 25 years ago I had a discussion with the proprietor of a venue where I had played the better part of 10 years. I felt that I was getting too old for the business. Drinking laws and habits were changing, and I just wasn't as comfortable in the atmosphere any more.

I stopped working full time and mostly took occasional gigs where a house system was supplied and that continued for the next ten years.

An old friend of mine stopped by one day saying he was opening a new nightspot and wanted me to come and open for him a couple of nights a week. At the time I was unsure, I wasn't even comfortable driving downtown at night and walking the streets from parking lot to venue, but I was intrigued, and went back to work in music, steady, part time.

I soon got back into the groove and determined I would take more gigs, but I needed new sound equipment that I could load in and out with less hassle and carry in a small SUV. That's when I bought the Bose 402IIs etc.

I had no more than got the new Bose stuff home when I saw my first ad for the "New Personalized Amplification System" that became known as the PAS on this forum. I joined here and became part of the conversation about this revolutionary product. I was disappointed that I had just spent twice the price of the L1 for what I thought was the most compact, quality system on the market, but there was something better suited to my needs, and smaller. I was curious but not convinced. I introduced two friends to the system before I bought, they were both looking at my 402 system with envy, and were unaware of the PAS.

I kept putting off making a purchase, but later in the fall there was a special deal, I can't remember now exactly what is was, but it included head phones or deluxe cases or something that made the purchase not only more attractive, but time dependent as well. I broke down and bought.

My first couple of months were touch and go. I didn't like the sound, could not get comfortable in front of the system. After much conversation here, many trials and errors, there was a software update. I don't know what they did but after that update I felt there was an immediate change and I was completely won over.

It's amazing that all these years later I don't feel too old to be in the business. Yes, my gray hair, clothing style and repertoire all date me a bit, but I still have something to offer to an audience, young or old, and the L1 makes it possible to deliver in a way nothing else on the market can do.

I doubt that I would be playing at all if it were not for the L1, I know for sure that I wouldn't look forward with eager anticipation to each opportunity I have to perform, if I didn't have the L1 to perform with.

Amazing haw fast eleven years have flown by.

O..

Edit to correct spelling
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Oldghm,

I remember our early conversations vividly. But I think this may be the first time I've heard the back story. I knew that you had the 402 system but I didn't know that you had just acquired it.

It's been a real privilege to know you here, and to meet in you person, to hear you perform, and enjoy your unique take on things when you write.

Sincerely,
ST