Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 24, 2011

Enabling the "tripod system EQ" on the Bose S1 without a tripod for added bass.

As we all know, when putting the S1 on a tripod, the little plate inside gets pushed, triggering a slightly different EQ than tabletop. Basically , more BASS... I wanted to experiment...

I put tape on the little plate that gets pushed-in inside the pole cup so the speaker thinks it's on a tripod, adding more BASS, yet the accelerometer still seems to work somewhat which I found interesting. It seems to keep the tripod added bass EQ, even when I change into another position.  So on a tabletop, I have more bass than before b/c it thinks it's in the air.  It seems when I push it back,  it then switches to monitor mode? 

Can anyone confirm this is what they are hearing?

Unrelated, I really love this speaker, but not having any control for the BASS and TREBLE when using Bluetooth kills it. I have since been using a battery-powered Bluetooth device (bypassing the internal Bose Bluetooth) JUST so I can plug into Channel 1 or 2, and have treble and bass control.  

Truthfully, we should be able to do some EQ within the app to set how the Bluetooth sounds.  Mainly, I want to turn it down the treble (if I am really close to it), not to mention turn down the bass as it can fall apart in that 45-60hertz region when really pushing it more than 70%.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: Enabling the "tripod system EQ" on the Bose S1 without a tripod for added bass.

Hi jaswrx,

The wiki says that the "tripod" switch overrides the accelerometer. 

The purpose of the different eq's is to provide a similar tonal response regardless of the speaker position, based on the boundaries expected to be present in a particular position.

When you lock in the "tripod" eq, and then change the boundaries by tilting or relocating the S1, you would expect to hear a slight change in the audio.

Is it possible that is what you are hearing?

O..

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 24, 2011

Re: Enabling the "tripod system EQ" on the Bose S1 without a tripod for added bass.

No, I am hearing a very obvious tonal change in mids and bass when tilting back, which I suppose could be from the boundary, but are you saying tripod mode overrides anything else, so regardless of what mode/position I put it in, it will always be the Tripod EQ?

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi jaswrx,

Check this link for S1 Pro auto eq info.

https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_system#Pole_Cup_Switch 

https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_system#Auto_EQ

if you change the orientation of the S1 while maintaining your same position, you will hear a tonal change. A part of the change will be because of the speaker's boundaries, and part because of the dispersion.

The closer to the speaker you are, the more pronounced the tonal change will be because it is easier to get to the edge of the dispersion pattern when close to the speaker.

Try standing or sitting across a room from the S1 while someone else changes the orientation of the speaker. Is the tonal change less noticeable?

Does this help?

O..

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 24, 2011

I did the test, and it's still pretty obvious...

I am actually leaving it in in vertical position (just going from tabletop to tilt back), and it's is a pretty noticeably change.  If what you saying is correct and the speaker still thinks it is in a tripod (even when tilting back), that is quite amazing how much it sounds differs when tilted up.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 24, 2011

Also, do you know what the EQ  looks like in the tripod mode?  It appears Bose illustrates the other modes, but no a tripod.  Is it literally just more bass and if so at what frequency? 

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi jaswrx,

If you go back to the "auto eq" link it describes the speaker stand eq as "basically flat". In the eq charts that are shown, the bass is cut at a center frequency of about 80 Hz. A flat response would suggest that cut would come back up to 0.

I use my S1 primarily as a practice pa, playing guitar and singing while sitting with the S1 in the tilt back position. I try to keep the S1 about four feet to my right with an imagined straight line from the front vertical center of the speaker grill in line with my head. Sitting that close to the S1 if I move my ears too away from the center of the speaker I lose the crispness of the sound, the mids and highs, that give an acoustic guitar and vocal definition and clarity. On those occasions when I have used the S1 for entertaining at a diner party or living room concert performance, I don't worry about what it sounds like beyond my ears. If I can hear myself, sing on key and not have to strain my voice, everything else will be OK.

In my experience, in the spaces I use the S1, once there is some 8 to 10 feet of separation the dispersion widens, the acoustics of the room begin to play a part and the sound becomes more uniform within the space.

It doesn't surprise me that you can hear some difference when changing the orientation of the speaker in relation to your head, but I would expect it to be more in the frequency range of the array, 600 Hz and above, although the boundaries, or reflective surfaces, close to the speaker affect the bass frequencies more. Of course my acoustic music is not bass heavy so your experience may not be the same as mine.

O..

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi jaswrx,

I posted a reply yesterday but it came down with a note saying it was spam. I'll try again.

If you go back to the auto eq link in my previous post the text there says the speaker stand eq is "basically flat".

That would suggest the cuts seen on the "tilt back" graph would come up to 0 dB for the the stand eq.

The center frequency on the bass cut is about 85 Hz, and appears to vary from 2 dB to about 4dB on the various graphs. Just enough to be noticed when changing the orientation of the speaker.

O..

edited for for clarity and accuracy

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 24, 2011

Ya, I saw "basically flat." and was looking for something a little bit more technical hehe.

If only, the boost was at 65.  The 85 boost makes things so boomy and IMO, worse sounding.

Luckily, I use a T4s and make this thing shine, but with Bluetooth, I feel it's really lacking.

BOSE, please gives us a simple eq (even treble and bass would suffice) within the app.  All the other competitors  (JBL, etc) have full DSP and control within the app.