Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smitty2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

F1 Model 812 Line Out - Post EQ?

Okay, here we go. The line out on the F1  812 is "post volume."  Is it pre-EQ? That is, if the EQ switch is set for "With Sub," Does the line out still pass a full frequency signal, or just the high pass signal? 

5 REPLIES 5
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: F1 Model 812 Line Out - Post EQ?

Hi Smitty,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  I'm glad you're here.

That's a great question.

The F1 Model 812 EQ switch affects only the behavior of the F1 Model 812. It does NOT affect the Line Out.

Source: F1 Model 812 and F1 Subwoofer Selector Switches

Thanks for asking.

ST

Smitty2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

Thank you.  I got ready to daisy-chain 2 812+Sub systems together and found myself staring at it.  So, if I've got this straight, to take advantage of the "With Sub" Low Cut  on the tops, my daisy chain would be:

Sub1 [EQ THRU] >> Top1 [EQ with Sub] >>Sub 2 [EQ in either position] Top 2 EQ [With Sub].  

Is there a better option when running a mono signal?

Thanks.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Smitty,

Smitty posted:

Thank you.  I got ready to daisy-chain 2 812+Sub systems together and found myself staring at it.  So, if I've got this straight, to take advantage of the "With Sub" Low Cut  on the tops, my daisy chain would be:

Sub1 [EQ THRU] >> Top1 [EQ with Sub] >>Sub 2 [EQ in either position] Top 2 EQ [With Sub].  

Yes.

To be consistent (in case anybody looks at what you've done later):

Sub1 [EQ THRU]
>> Top1 [EQ with Sub]
>>Sub 2 [EQ THRU]
>>Top 2 EQ [With Sub]

That way both F1 Stacks (F1 Model 812 with F1 Subwoofer)  look the same and are interchangeable.

Is there a better option when running a mono signal?

What's your input source? What is the nominal output in dB? Ideally you want a hot output if you start the signal chain with the F1 Subwoofer.

Thanks.

Happy to help. You're welcome.

ST

Smitty2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

ST posted:

Ideally you want a hot output if you start the signal chain with the F1 Subwoofer.

...and you'd want to do that because the 812 will boost the line level signal to the sub, but not the other way around, correct?  So far, i'm with you.  SO, if I had first 812 turned up beyond the "unity" detent and the line out is post volume, would leaving the 2nd one at the unity detent then give me matching volume from both speakers?  (Please say yes!)

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Smitty,

Smitty posted:
ST posted:

Ideally you want a hot output if you start the signal chain with the F1 Subwoofer.

...and you'd want to do that because the 812 will boost the line level signal to the sub, but not the other way around, correct? 

Yes.

So far, i'm with you.  SO, if I had first 812 turned up beyond the "unity" detent and the line out is post volume, would leaving the 2nd one at the unity detent then give me matching volume from both speakers?  (Please say yes!)

I'm sorry, you'll have to set the volume on the second F1 Model 812 by ear.  You can't assume the center detent is Unity (more on that below). But even if it was Unity, if the reason you are running your source to the F1 Model 812 is to add gain, setting the volume at Unity wouldn't add any gain.

Unity? 

The concept of Unity doesn't quite apply here because there's no input trim control on the F1 Model 812 and, you've got different outcomes depending on whether you use balanced or unbalanced connections, the 1/4 (6mm) inputs or the XLR inputs and whether or not you use the MIC switch.

If you've got a strong enough signal from your source, then you can happily run the source to the first F1 Subwoofer.

ST