Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 7, 2019

F1 System Sound Problems and lack of Base

Hay guys I'm having some serious problems with my F1 system, I have to 2 F1 812;s and 2 F1 Subs connects as follows, direct master output of Pioneer Dj mixer, Xlr into the Subs and then to the Tops, the 812's cannot go any more than 12 oc clock or ill get a steady orange limit light on the speaker and there is practically no pump from the base bins, even standing in front of them, was expecting a lot more for my money but left scratching my head, also having a smell come from the speakers when they are in use, any help would be grateful.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: F1 System Sound Problems and lack of Base

Hi, Djcgamble.

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

Djcgamble posted:

Hay guys I'm having some serious problems with my F1 system,

Did you just get your F1 system or have the issues you've described just surfaced? 

I have to 2 F1 812;s and 2 F1 Subs connects as follows, direct master output of Pioneer Dj mixer,

What is the model of the Pioneer DJ mixer. Please give us a link to the owners manual.

Xlr into the Subs and then to the Tops, the 812's cannot go any more than 12 oc clock or ill get a steady orange limit light on the speaker

Which lights are lighting up: Signal/Clip or the Limiter? It's okay to run the volume up loud enough to see red flickers on the SIGNAL/CLIP lights.

F1 Model 812 IO panel clip limiter lights

--= click the picture for more details =--

Do you have the SIGNAL INPUT set to MIC or LINE LEVEL. Either is fine as long as you don't see prolonged solid red on the INPUT/CLIP lights.

and there is practically no pump from the base bins, even standing in front of them, was expecting a lot more for my money but left scratching my head,

Try this for each DJ mixer output:

• Connect the output from the DJ mixer to the F1 Model 812
  • Connect the F1 Model 812 LINE OUTPUT to the F1 Subwoofer

also having a smell come from the speakers when they are in use, any help would be grateful.

That off-gassing should stop after you've used the systems (loud) for several hours.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 7, 2019

Hay, I've had my F1 system since may and have run into this problem a few times, 

Tonight the Input 1 signal clip was faded in and out of red on occasion, the limit was also turning amber I couldnt turn up more than 12 o clock the djm master output wasnt when at its peak, was also running in line mode in the tops, 

It was connected via bass bins xlr and then to the tops, I've also tried the other way around and still have run into these problems. 

Was expecting the smell to be gone at this stage after a few times been used, will this always occur with this system?

Chris 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Chris.

Djcgamble posted:

Hay, I've had my F1 system since may and have run into this problem a few times, 

So, not a new problem, but an intermittent one?

Tonight the Input 1 signal clip was faded in and out of red on occasion, the limit was also turning amber

It sounds like you can turn up the input 1 a bit until you see solid red. Then back it off a bit.

I couldnt turn up more than 12 o clock the djm master output wasnt when at its peak, was also running in line mode in the tops

LINE level - that's good.

It was connected via bass bins xlr and then to the tops, I've also tried the other way around and still have run into these problems. 

Often, the output from the F1 Model 812 LINE OUT can be higher than from the source (there's gain available in the F1 Model 812 signal path). That's why I suggested running to the F1 Model 812 first. Please try that again.

Are you using the XLR outputs from the Pioneer DJ mixer?

For best results (strongest signal, best signal-to-noise ratio, best resistance to line noise) you should use XLR to XLR or XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables.

If there is an attenuation switch on your DJ mixer, what position is it in?

Was expecting the smell to be gone at this stage after a few times been used, will this always occur with this system?

Chris 

You have to push the systems hard to clear up the off-gassing (harmless, but I understand - not pleasant). 

If the LIMIT light is staying solid amber, you are probably getting all the sound the F1 Model 812 can produce. Are you seeing the same behaviour with the LEDs on both F1 Model 812 systems?

It looks like you are in the UK.  Here's the contact information for Bose Support. It might be easier for you to talk to them. Please have your F1 systems up and running when you call.

Bose Support UK
+44 1634 224 288
Mon - Fri: 09:00-18:30,
Sat 09:00-17:00 GMT

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 7, 2019

Thanks for you reply I will try connecting from the tops and then into the bins to see if it makes much of a difference. 

I am connected via the xlr output of the dam mixer, there is no gain switch on the back but actually mite be built into the utility menu of there mixer I believe it goes from -6db -3db -0db which do you suggest to set it at?

yeh I see the limit light stay on and adjust the volume on the back of the 812 until the light is turned off the maximum setting is at the 12 o clock position anything more and my speakers both sides start to clip and stay amber.

thank you for the help so far. 

Chris 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chris,

Djcgamble posted:

Thanks for you reply I will try connecting from the tops and then into the bins to see if it makes much of a difference. 

I am connected via the xlr output of the dam mixer, there is no gain switch on the back but actually mite be built into the utility menu of there mixer I believe it goes from -6db -3db -0db which do you suggest to set it at?

Try -0dB.

yeh I see the limit light stay on and adjust the volume on the back of the 812 until the light is turned off the maximum setting is at the 12 o clock position anything more and my speakers both sides start to clip and stay amber.

thank you for the help so far. 

Chris 

If you're hitting the limiter, you may be at the maximum volume for the F1 Model 812 (and that should be LOUD). If you connect the F1 Model 812 LINE OUT to the F1 Subwoofer, that too should give you the maximum volume available from the F1 Subwoofer (assuming you've got lots of bass content in the source).

ST