johnhpower
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

Factory reset affect on User scenes?

I just received my T4S and have been studying the manual.  I see there is a factory reset choice in the Bose scenes.  My question is simple.  If I have several user scenes and then do a factory reset, will I lose the settings for those user scenes?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Factory reset affect on User scenes?

Hi, John Power.

Thanks for the interesting question.

John Power posted:

I just received my T4S and have been studying the manual. 

Good for you!

Please make sure your firmware is up to date. See:

T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions 

I see there is a factory reset choice in the Bose scenes

There is a Factory Settings Scene and a process to do a Factory Reset. They are not the same.  I'll explain the differences below.

My question is simple.  If I have several user scenes and then do a factory reset, will I lose the settings for those user scenes?

If you load the Factory Settings Scene, the other scenes will not be affected. If you do the Factory Reset procedure, the user scenes you created will be lost.

Thanks

I'll explain the differences.

Factory Settings Scene

There is a Scene called Factory Settings. Loading that scene sets all the values as shown below. Note the highlighted text. "the currently loaded scene." Loading the Factory Settings scene does not affect any other stored scenes.

There were some misprints in the owner's guide.

Loading the Factory Setting Scene is not the same as performing a Factory Reset.

Factory Reset

This is a procedure that puts the T4S/T8S back to the state in which it left the factory (except that any firmware updates are preserved).

Doing a Factory Reset will delete any user scenes you have stored.

Normally we don't do a Factory Reset unless the T4S/T8S is not functioning correctly.  The process is not documented in the T4S/T8S owner's guide but if you call for service, the technician may ask you to do it.

Please follow this link for more details.

T4S/T8S Factory Reset

Does that help?
ST

Carlos_Pickups
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

ST posted:

Hi, John Power.

Thanks for the interesting question.

John Power posted:

I just received my T4S and have been studying the manual. 

Good for you!

Please make sure your firmware is up to date. See:

I see there is a factory reset choice in the Bose scenes

There is a Factory Settings Scene and a process to do a Factory Reset. They are not the same.  I'll explain the differences below.

My question is simple.  If I have several user scenes and then do a factory reset, will I lose the settings for those user scenes?

If you load the Factory Settings Scene, the other scenes will not be affected. If you do the Factory Reset procedure, the user scenes you created will be lost.

Thanks

I'll explain the differences.

Factory Settings Scene

There is a Scene called Factory Settings. Loading that scene sets all the values as shown below. Note the highlighted text. "the currently loaded scene." Loading the Factory Settings scene does not affect any other stored scenes.

There were some misprints in the owner's guide.

Loading the Factory Setting Scene is not the same as performing a Factory Reset.

Factory Reset

This is a procedure that puts the T4S/T8S back to the state in which it left the factory (except that any firmware updates are preserved).

Doing a Factory Reset will delete any user scenes you have stored.

Normally we don't do a Factory Reset unless the T4S/T8S is not functioning correctly.  The process is not documented in the T4S/T8S owner's guide but if you call for service, the technician may ask you to do it.

Please follow this link for more details.

T4S/T8S Factory Reset

Does that help?
ST

Amazing reply from ST, as always. I am so glad I dont have that "problems" on my S1, simply plug and play and concentrate on music - but yes, working professionals do need diff. scenes for diff. guitars and sounds  ..... I follow GB (George Benson) generation type of players, but yes: the TONE is an instrument too, there is always pro's and contras for each style of performing. We gotta be thankful having a man as ST who serves us all.

johnhpower
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

Thanks and yes it helps. However, another problem has developed. Myself and the other 2 members of the trio I play in got together this afternoon so they could see this new mixer and how it interfaced with my Compact and the reverb did not work.  It just didn't.  The odds of something being wrong with the unit are very low but I followed the manual instructions to the T with no success.  All the modulation choices worked no problem as did the delay and compression but if ya gotta have one thing its reverb.  I tried all the reverb settings and none work.  I would hit the mute button on and off with no change in the sound. 

By the way, in the manual my "factory settings" language says on page 42  "This section described the settings in the T4S/T8S mixer when it left the factory.  To restore your T4S/T8S at any time to those factory settings load the Bose Factory Settings scene" which is, of course one of the Bose read- only factory-present scenes.

This language appears to conflict with what you said above since it clearly says it will change the setting to what they were when the unit left the factory.  There is nothing about erasing any changes made in a currently loaded scene either.  The manual I have does not say that anywhere.

I am a little disappointed. I downloaded the T4S manual from the Bose website and you are now telling me the manual has language that mine does not.  Do I have the wrong manual?  It is called T4S/T8S Tonematch Mix owners guide.

Maybe someone can help me figure out the problem. I do not want to have to return this unit.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, John Power.

John Power posted:

Thanks and yes it helps. However, another problem has developed. Myself and the other 2 members of the trio I play in got together this afternoon so they could see this new mixer and how it interfaced with my Compact and the reverb did not work.  It just didn't.  The odds of something being wrong with the unit are very low but I followed the manual instructions to the T with no success.  All the modulation choices worked no problem as did the delay and compression but if ya gotta have one thing its reverb.  I tried all the reverb settings and none work.  I would hit the mute button on and off with no change in the sound. 

Have you done the firmware update?

Please make sure the firmware is at version 1.1.4

Reverb

Edit - Oh, I just noticed - you are using an L1 Compact.

Connect to it using the T4S main output as shown below.

T4S to L1 Compact

Click the picture to read the article: T4S to L1 Compact

At this point - DO NOT USE THE AUX Outputs. If you connect to one of the Aux outputs,

T4S No Reverb on Aux

there will be no reverb (although you can turn it on for Aux 1, but not Aux 2).

Let's do some diagnostics. Try this:

• Load the Scene called "Singer Songwriter".

• Connect a microphone to Channel 1.  You should hear reverb. There are two places where you can modify the reverb.  You can read about that here: T4S/T8S Reverb

If you still don't hear any reverb, then there are a couple of other things to try - but let me know whether or not you hear the reverb with the Singer Songwriter scene before we go further.

By the way, in the manual my "factory settings" language says on page 42  "This section described the settings in the T4S/T8S mixer when it left the factory.  To restore your T4S/T8S at any time to those factory settings load the Bose Factory Settings scene" which is, of course one of the Bose read- only factory-present scenes.

This language appears to conflict with what you said above since it clearly says it will change the setting to what they were when the unit left the factory. 

You're right. I'm sorry, the language is not clearer in this regard.

There is nothing about erasing any changes made in a currently loaded scene either.  The manual I have does not say that anywhere.

This is from the owner's guide. Note: "Loading this scene erases any changes you made to the currently loaded scene."  What doesn't say, but it should - is loading this scene does not affect other saved scenes.

Factory Scenes

When you load the Factory Settings scene, it only affects the current scene. Loading the Factory Settings scene does not affect scenes you have saved.

The owner's guide does not describe the Factory Reset procedure (that will erase user saved scenes).

I am a little disappointed. I downloaded the T4S manual from the Bose website and you are now telling me the manual has language that mine does not.  Do I have the wrong manual?  It is called T4S/T8S Tonematch Mix owners guide.

It sounds like you have the correct manual.

T4S/T8S ToneMatch® Mixer Owner's Guide

Maybe someone can help me figure out the problem. I do not want to have to return this unit.

Please let me know about the reverb when using the Singer Songwriter scene.

Thanks,

ST

johnhpower
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

I seem to be getting reverb now but I am not sure why.  I did get reverb on the singer/songwriter scene and then I thought I turned it off but I am not sure.  What is the proper procedure for exiting a scene? I switched to the factory reset selection and loaded it but I do not know if that got me out of the singer/songwriter scene.  If it did not that may be why I am still getting reverb so I need to get out of it and then see if I still get reverb.

Also, I cannot figure out how to turn off reverb.  Where in the manual is that instruction?  I did not see a bypass selection in the reverb selection like there is in the mod section since that would obviously turn it off and I should not have to manually mute it unless I guess you tell me that is what I have to do.

There are times I may want to use only Chorus or Tremolo but when I go into the Prefs selection to see what is active on the channel I always see reverb listed.  How do I set it up so that I only see mod listed as active?

I have a 45 day window so if this unit is not working correctly I will swap it out for another one.

Thanks.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, John Power.

Let's start by understanding what a Scene is.

From page 30 in the T4S Owner's Guide

To add a little more information.

• A scene remembers the setting for Global EQ
  • A scene does not remember or change the settings of the other scenes

Source: Scenes

And now for your questions

John Power posted:

I seem to be getting reverb now but I am not sure why.  I did get reverb on the singer/songwriter scene and then I thought I turned it off but I am not sure.  What is the proper procedure for exiting a scene?

You can change a scene by

• Loading a different scene
    or
  • Making changes to your settings. When you change something (e.g., Reverb on/off). The settings are no longer the same as the saved scene.

I switched to the factory reset selection

Let's be careful about the terminology. It sounds like you loaded the Factory Settings scene. This is not the same as a Factory Reset.

and loaded it but I do not know if that got me out of the singer/songwriter scene. 

Yes. Loading the Factory Settings scene replaced the Singer/Songwriter scene.

If it did not that may be why I am still getting reverb so I need to get out of it and then see if I still get reverb.

It is possible you turned on the reverb and saved (over-wrote) the Factory Settings scene with the reverb turned on.

That's right, you CAN edit and overwrite the Bose Scenes. Reference: Scenes

Also, I cannot figure out how to turn off reverb. 

Turn the Rotary Selector to REVERB. Press the Mix button to mute/unmute the reverb.

Where in the manual is that instruction? 

From the owner's guide
T4S T8S Channel Reverb

I did not see a bypass selection in the reverb selection like there is in the mod section since that would obviously turn it off and I should not have to manually mute it unless I guess you tell me that is what I have to do.
For reverb, the Mute is the same as Bypass for Chorus and Tremolo.

There are times I may want to use only Chorus or Tremolo but when I go into the Prefs selection to see what is active on the channel I always see reverb listed.  How do I set it up so that I only see mod listed as active?

Turn the Rotary Selector to REVERB. Press the Mix button to mute/unmute the reverb. Then return to Prefs. REV should no longer appear.

I have a 45 day window so if this unit is not working correctly I will swap it out for another one.

Thanks.

It sounds like your T4S is working correctly. However, it might be easier if you talk to Bose Support while you have the T4S in front of you. They can walk you through the functionality of the unit and answer your questions in real time.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

ST

johnhpower
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

OK. Thanks

johnhpower
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

Oh and if I do that true factory reset that will reverse any possibility that I over-wrote the Factory Settings scene with the reverb turned on correct?.  If I do that I am right back where I started and I should be able to re-check to reverb functionality.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, John Power.

John Power posted:

Oh and if I do that true factory reset that will reverse any possibility that I over-wrote the Factory Settings scene with the reverb turned on correct?.  If I do that I am right back where I started and I should be able to re-check to reverb functionality.

Yes. You've got it.

Please confirm that you've updated the firmware. The latest version is version 1.1.4. It includes updates to the reverb.

ST