Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dance Host
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

For Video Plunge: Equipment, Cost and Example Needed

Cap and I got into his video activities in another thread.

The more I think of this the better it seems, of course answers to my query could change my mind.

Hopefully Cap and others will lead on this.

I'd like to know the basic equipment needed to show Elvis doing a song such as Blue Suede Shoes, the cost of the equipment and a tutorial on how you go about putting that together for your performance.

Thanks
32 REPLIES 32
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Re: For Video Plunge: Equipment, Cost and Example Needed

If you have an extra laptop hanging around you could use it and play videos off itunes or even youtube. Itunes even sells music videos. I've even played them off my ipod touch and iphone on a 50" flat screen.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

Or if your new to the market Virtual DJ and a good laptop (read good video card) and a projector or LCD that can hook to your computer or laptop. Its really easier than it seems its the cost of the start up equipment that can get you. Videos are getting easier to buy now days with companies like promo only and prime cuts around.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

A few years back, at the recommendation of others on this forum, I tried Ots AV DJ. Ots is great! I had no intention of doing video but before long I gave it a try and was more than impressed. Ots does it all and does it well!

I picked up an Epson EX 50 Digital Projector ($650) and a DJ screen ($330).
Given it to do over again, I may or may not have chosen the same projector but I would definitely have gone with a different screen. Something like the Daylite front/rear projection screen Dave from Nextgen just acquired.

I actually have 2 DJ Screens. One is the standard 10’ model that stretches between a 10’ truss system. The other is a 7’ version I built my own frame for out of box pvc. Had I gone with the Daylite, I would not have had to mess around with building a frame and the whole thing folds up into a nice package. I drape my screens with a white ribbed satin material and tie them off with decorations or ribbons in the color of the bridal party or event. It looks nice. Daylite has a curtain accessory for their screens which looks pretty good but not as good as my white satin curtain.

You could easily get into the Daylite screen and a decent projector for under $1500. Some would recommend a better (more expensive) projector but I’m satisfied with the Epson.

Keep in mind, the projection screen does not work well in sunlight. I also have an LCD (37”) monitor that will work better in sunlight but I seldom use it. It’s a bit small, a little awkward and a lot heavy. I’m using it for Bridal Shows mostly. Even a 40+ incher looks like a postage stamp in a big room.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Because I'm not a Laptop DJ, if I started using videos at my gigs instead of using music videos- I would use shadow dancer vids & cool abstract mood vids. Any of you use these types of videos?
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I use those too JD, but in between videos. You can find some really neat ones on ebay people have made.

Also DH, if you get a flat screen tv, I would not go smaller than 42". They are running 500+ now but by this coming summer expect to get deals in the 400's.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

Here is pretty much the screen I got. Mine was 6 foot by 9 foot but had all the skirts including the sides and the bottom and the top. I got mine from ebay and I loved it.

Mine cost be about 850 total and worth every penny. This picture is similar to mine but it is not mine. Mine is front and rear projection which can cost a little more but a must have if your a DJ.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

If it fits on stage this is what we will be using on New years eve if not then its our DJ screen which I know will fit. My desire is to use this one because of how professional it looks. More than likely I will have a Bose L-1 on each side and the B-1's hidden in back of the screen by the black skirt.
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

Nice screen, NextGen1.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Dave
Nice screen