cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Gain Staging for a Radial Pro 48 DI Box

Hi folks, I know about Gain Staging for the T1 and L1 systems.But . . . I have a Radial Pro 48 DI box on demo at the moment to replace my existing DOD 275 DI Box. The Radial is a lovely DI box but with the Trim turned fully down on the channel(Channel 2)there is still a touch of red flashing every now and then on the T1 channel. I can just see a flicker when I put an accent on a note. I have a handbuilt Bartram acoustic guitar with a Fishman pickup in. It doesn't strike me as being a super hot pickup and it has never done this before and only does it with the Radial. I am a fairly positive flatpicker but I don't thrash it.

I have searched the boards but not picked up on anything specific to this DI box. I am wondering whether there is just a particular matching issue with these two fine bits of kit.

Please could you let me know if this issue has come up before? Is there any way for me to reprogramme the trim for that channel so that it is marginally less sensitive and get rid of any red at all?

I'd like to buy the Radial for the sound but don't want to risk clipping, compression and cut out! Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Re: Gain Staging for a Radial Pro 48 DI Box

Hi may I add that I have gone to the Preferences setting and looked at the input level on the channel. If I play at my most positive and put an extra bit in to allow for stage adrenaline then I get to 9 out of the 10 graduated bars on the input scale. Although the light on the channel briefly flashes red I'm not hitting the 10th bar.

Can I assume that I'm *just* inside the acceptable level? If so can I use this box for a 2 set gig with having to worry that the channel will clip and the system shut down?

Thanks,
Sarah
StuartD
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 23, 2005

Hello,

Have you engaged the -15db pad button on the Pro 48 DI box?

This should reduce the signal level coming out of it and going into your T1, which should get rid of the clipping into the T1 input.

Stu
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Hi Stu, thank you for a speedy reply.

In truth I didn't want to go to the 15db pad unless I absolutely need to - partly because I think the issue is between the Radial and the T1 rather than between my guitar and the Radial; and partly because of the reduction of the signal to noise ratio. But I'm going to try the pad this morning.

If (without the pad engaged)I'm just having an odd flash of red and the prefs input scale shows me hitting the penultimate bar on the scale . . . would you think that's *just* enough headroom. Or am I a bit close to clipping?

Thanks for your help so far,
Sarah
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Hi Forum Admin,

It never occurred to me not to use a DI. But I'll bear it in mind for the future. We often join the digital cables between T1 and LII together with connectors and have our Tour Manager mix from the audience. So cable runs can be 40ft ish. I tend to prefer balanced cables as much as possible. DI also allows me to pop a tuner through link jack.

Will happily try going straight in but usual MO will most likely be via DI.

Thanks for asking though . . . it's always good for me to rethink things Smile
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by StuartD:
Hello,

Have you engaged the -15db pad button on the Pro 48 DI box?

This should reduce the signal level coming out of it and going into your T1, which should get rid of the clipping into the T1 input.

Stu

Hi Stu,

just engaged the pad and it works fine and doesn't seem to bring any more noticable noise in the signal path. *Happyness*

For the record though I'd be really happy for your advice on whether I have just enough headroom without the pad?

Thanks for good and fast advice!
Sarah
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Sarah,

Here are some notes from Bose about T1® Gain Staging and the the coloured LEDS
\
"If you see flickers of red, turn the Trim down. You are definitely nearing or in compression. Turn the Trim down until there are no red flickers. "
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Thanks ST, for good advice yet again. Time to use the 15db pad then. It's a great sounding DI btw.

Sarah Smile
StuartD
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 23, 2005

Hello Sarah,

quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Jones:

"...just engaged the pad and it works fine and doesn't seem to bring any more noticable noise in the signal path. *Happyness*

For the record though I'd be really happy for your advice on whether I have just enough headroom without the pad?"

Sarah

Radial makes good quality gear so I'm sure you won't have any noise issues when you engage the pad button, as long as the rest of your signal chain is comparable in quality. I use a couple of Radial DIs on occasion and I've never encountered noise in their gear (that I could discern).

I can't really say if not using the pad, and seeing a bit of red (clipping) on the T1's input will be ok, and will still provide you with sufficient headroom. I think it might depend on what's causing the brief clipping into the red in the first place.

It's supposed to be ok if the clipping is short in duration and not very frequent. I'd probably want to listen through good quality headphones to see if there is any distortion to the signal, otherwise I'd be engaging the -15db pad.

I generally adjust the gain on my T1 so that I never see red, only yellow, on the inputs, etc.

I am curious why you need to use a DI box to go into the T1. You'd generally only need a DI if the distance between your guitar and the T1 was great enough to cause noise issues from using a longer length guitar cable (~30ft or greater with a decent guitar cable, I believe). Generally you'd use a DI if you needed a separate feed to a FOH console, for example.

Good luck,

Stu

Edit: Clarification.