Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Getting frustrated trying to educate!

In talking to several DJ's I have gotten a bit frustrated trying to educate them about the L1 system. It has been very hard to convey to them how different the system is in comparison to "traditional PA" speaker systems.

Have you guys/girl Smile had this happen to you? It's like their trapped in the 1960's mentality & they think that the basic design of the loud speaker can't be improved upon!
17 REPLIES 17
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Re: Getting frustrated trying to educate!

Welcome to the world of the L1.
Be happy you are enlightened.
Let all the others wallow in the mire.
mikep_2
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

Hi gang, I am planning on joining you with the L1M1 2B1 setup next weekend. I'll be able to play with it a bit before a wedding the following weekend.
Back around '79/'80 when I was still renting some of my stuff the place I rented from didn't have my usual set of speakers available and gave me a pair of huge band type speakers I had to tilt back and wheel around. They took up the back of the station wagon by themselves but they were awesome.
I've wished for a while I could remember what they were and find a pair, but they'd be darn heavey to load in and out of the minivan alone.
Shortly after that a guy from Bose came to one of the dances I was DJing and tried to demo and sel me on something like a Bose wave radio type syste. It sounde nice but was not going to satisfy most of my larger venues and I told him it sounded nice but that I'd be laughed out of the place if I showed up with just that. Now it didn't compare to what the L1 can bring but even so I would probably have been resistant to the L1 at that time as well.
This will be for my 50th birthday to myself and even my wife says to go for it and lighten my load.
It is hard to change the way of thinking many of us grew up with. You can't bang your head aganst the wall trying to convince someone. Sometimes it just takes some time and experience to change perspective and open ones mind.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Audio gear seems to be a testosterone thing where it has to be big to be good. You will never get some (many) people to grasp any concept that does not measure everything in thousand watt increments.
mj177
Registered since

Dec 17, 2009

Ask them if they use a microwave. A washing machine? Computer? If they have indoor plumbing?

If so then they use, benefit, and enjoy technology bettering their daily life. Why not use it to better your work life too?

Its the same thing as when I went fully digital. So many DJ's gave me such **** for it. And whats great is years later guess who has egg on their face because they are digital now too....

I have found that some people are just so scared of change that they have a hard time embracing new technology...

Good Luck!!! 😃

May the Bose be with you!
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

I no longer get frustrated. I have found that some people are open to listen. Others wouldn't listen if it was twice as good at half the price.

I am just super happy that 4 years ago I found a system that was perfect for me and the way I DJ. The ease of load in/load out has made the worst part of my job much more tolerable. It also keeps my clients extremely happy. A win-win.

Some are happy for you when you find something you really like, even if they don't find it as useful for what they do.

Sadly, some will try to tear down and tell you all about equipment they have no first hand experience with.

There is nothing you can do besides enjoy the great equipment you have and share the info with others looking for something better, because many are. Some are happy with the equipment they have, and great for them. And for the negative nellies, I hope they find some happiness in their lives.
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

Been fighting those wars for 5+ years and will continue to do so.

I can educate the ignorant, the inquisitive, the curious. I cannot educate stupidity.

My main focus continues towards contradicting the lies, especially those that are deliberate.

Peace out, ya'll.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

At the risk of offending someone, it's the same as trying to explain to those who continue to insist, despite all of the overwhelming evidence, that the President of the USA was not born in the USA.

Some people just won't listen. Their minds are made up, and they will come up with all kinds of reasons why they don't have to listen.
MobileToonz
Registered since

Feb 13, 2010

quote:
Originally posted by mikep:

Back around '79/'80 when I was still renting some of my stuff the place I rented from didn't have my usual set of speakers available and gave me a pair of huge band type speakers I had to tilt back and wheel around. They took up the back of the station wagon by themselves but they were awesome.
I've wished for a while I could remember what they were and find a pair, but they'd be darn heavey to load in and out of the minivan alone.

When I started DJ'n some 25 years ago, I started with 4 Yamaha S4115 and 2 carver amps to drive them. Man those things could really pound. Always had lost of help moving these around.

These would do any school gym I had put them in.

Miss them but really glad I have the Bose now, back can't take moving just one of those around Smile
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I don't even waste my time.