cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6inline
Registered since

Aug 10, 2007

Gig pics: Model 1 + Compact

This was Thursday night. Had tracks, acoustic guitar and female vox going thru the Model 1 and electric guitar and male vox thru the Compact. Many positive comments on the sound, and again, having my vocals in the Compact behind me made for a stellar monitoring experience and I found I had a lot of punch left in my voice at the end of a 3 set, 4 hour performance.

Also, I'm really starting to have a strong preference for my electric guitar sound thru the Compact. At least in a live situation...must be the extra clear highs that are making me cut thru better.

10 REPLIES 10
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Re: Gig pics: Model 1 + Compact

Hi 6inline,

I'm thinking of doing a Sunday winery gig with a Model II and a Compact this weekend.
It's a long, narrow room, and the lead singer/E-guitarist would be on the compact.
Bassist, v-drums, and two vocals on the Model II w/4-B1s.

Do you think the Compact will keep up with the Model II at the back?

It's about a 12x40' room.
6inline
Registered since

Aug 10, 2007

Drumr... I could be wrong but I think the Compact will have no trouble keeping up over a 40 ft. room. Especially since the vocal and guitar clarity are so good on the Compact. Going with both extensions should get you there, no problem. I keep mine "half mast" and nobody complains they can't hear me. The lower feedback potential in this configuration allows me to run it hot as I like.

I wish I could see and hear your rig if you do this. Are you going to video? I have an outdoor gig this Fri where I'll set up the same way as in the pics and have somebody listen at various distances to see where/if the vocals fall off. I have confidence it won't be a problem.

I might record the gig with my new field recorder (Tascam DR-07) and compare to last weeks single Model 1 gig recording, but ultimately, the live sound will tell the tale.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Thanks for the encouragement 6inline.
I realized tonight that with the good weather, we will be playing just outside the windows on the right.
It's outdoor, but the audience will be closer, so I'm thinking, better.
I'll video if I can remember the cam.
Wanted to video the loud band tonight, but forgot it.
I have lots of gear, the excess slips thru the cracks.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

BTW, I really love your nice, clean setup.
No music stand clutter.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

ST, any thoughts on outdoors with the Model II & Compact with "The Cubs"?
Tips?
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

We did the winery gig...outdoors, very nice day.
Band set up was on a plywood stage, 2x8s and 3/4" plywood which made a resonator for the B1s.
So we had a bit of extra sustain and rumble to deal with.
But that was okay as we had a B1 go down and had to drop from our usual 4-B1s to two each for drums and bass.
I missed that extra low end we usually have, but according to the video, it sounded okay without it.

We ran our lead singer/guitarist through the Compact as planned.
Guitar in a Roland Micro-Cube, direct out into channel two.
It worked out very well as far as keeping up with the bigger systems.
Rick said he prefers his usual Classic system, saying
"I like being wrapped in that *cocoon* of sound (the hotspot) that I can move in and out of when I need to".

At first, I sat the Compact 2' behind, and 4' to the side of Rick, as ST, myself, and some others have noted as a *sweet spot*. To do that, the Compact had to go on the ground next to the stage.

John & I couldn't hear Rick very well in that position, causing us to sing softer and Rick couldn't hear us.
So we moved it up on stage right behind Rick, and monitoring was good and it sounded good to Rick too.
No feedback issues either.

We had audience in the covered patio within 40' of us, and more audience way out in another pavillion.
Reports were that we could be heard equally well whether on an L1 or the Compact.
I didn't talk to any of those who sat *way* out in the pavillion...I'm curious to know if Rick's vocal made it out there at all. I'd hate to think they only heard the backup vocals. But there were no complaints.

Here is a YouTube Clip from about 30' out where my mother-in-law (our biggest fan) was sitting.
I have another video on my ftp too, large file, probably have to download (right click/save link as) to listen.
6inline
Registered since

Aug 10, 2007

Great video, Drumr. I love the sound and it's good to hear no reports of the vocals dropping off over your intended listening range. I can hear nuance in the singer's voice that I think would be lost in most conventional setups. The voice and e. guitar share the compact quite well as I have found with my own experimenting.

Unfortunately, last nights outdoor gig was rained out here in the northeast, so I'm hoping Sunday will bring better weather and a chance to use my Model 1 and Compact outdoors for the first time together.

Re: the clean setup... Thanks, but this pic was shot after the other singer had removed her music stand Big Grin. So yeah, we have our crutches but try not to use them.
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Hi Drumr,

Lovely video. Thanks for posting!

Best wishes,
Sarah
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Hey Pete - That was great. The sound was really good. The drums were kickin.