Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Re: Happy not to be using a laptop to DJ

I've been laptop for over 10 years with the same computer. Never had a problem with it. It's all in how you set it up most of the time. Before I went laptop I bought a Denon 9000. It was junk. I sent it back. I wanted to go all mp3 discs. One of the drives went out a week after I got it. Denon said it was on backorder which told me there were problems. I sent it back and bought two laptops. In the past couple of months I have been phasing out the laptop and using 2 iPads. The laptop is now backup to the iPads.
Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Hello jdbassentertainment.com

Acknowledging your comment: There is a bug in the forum software and moved posts do not always appear in chronological order. It usually works fine but when things come in out of order, there is no fixing them.

quote:
Originally posted by jdbassentertainment.com:
Admin... if you are gonna move these around at least put them in some sort of order that makes sense to the readers.

Thanks-
JD
djdiddydavies
Registered since

May 15, 2009

Hi JD,

Just to be clear...

The problem i have relates to Megaseg and the fact that i've bought a newer spec laptop. The problem is that if paused for more than 10 minutes the audio via USB drops out. Not really a major problem.

I used to run a pair of Denon DN-S1200's and a DN-X120 mixer. I didn't like the software set up in that my music had to be run through Denons quirky system.

You'll also note that Denon no longer make the HD2500 so it's not an option. There are also quite a lot of reports of problems with the HD2500 on various forums.

I don't think anything is the perfect solution and back up is essential.

Steve.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

The only problems that I have encountered with the HD2500 are linked with the jog wheels. They seem to be able to move to quickly for the unit to handle... so when I use them in a song/artist search I rotate them at a medium speed... or just use the selector knob instead which is slower but never has issues.

Besides that the unit has been rock solid.

It is still an option in two ways:

1) You can pick up a lightly used unit on ebay for $400 or less... *CAUTION make sure you are buying from a seller with 100% feedback & who one has been a selling for quite a while.

2)I You can still get the unit new from some ebay sellers, but it's going for $899.

IMO still a way better option than a Laptop!
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

JD, your clients don't care where your media is coming from. As long as it sounds good and is continuous entertainment. You can stay right there using your Denon all you want.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Plan on it! LOL Big Grin
mikep_2
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

Happy TO be using a laptop.
I agree that the main thing your clients will care about are the quality of your audio (music files, sound system, etc.), professionalism, presentation, etc.
The laptop, HD2500, DN-S3700 I use, etc. are the tools to do the job.
I use the 3700 with Serato and have my music on backup hard drives that can play right from the 3700 if needed. I also put the important songs on a thumb drive on the 3700.
As long as you do the job the tools are secondary.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

All I'm saying is laptops are a consumer grade product and I've seen many, many posts about numerous issues that they have given you all...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use a laptop for DJ work. I'm just saying that I don't trust them.
Djxtrodinaire
Participant
Registered since

Feb 20, 2018

Been using a laptop and Serato since 2004/5.
Still have the original laptop and now have a mac pro.
2 major problems i had was memory failure and someone accidentally pulled my extension cord.

To me this was a great success rate.

Hardware or software base, there will always be an issue.

I am old school, vynil by heart. But these technology advances got me on board.
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

I really don't want to get on the wrong side of things here. JD you are using an external hard drive to get your music to the Denon HD? So typically, you are using a computer of some sort to get your music to Mp3 format.
I have and always will use my laptop and Virtual DJ. I have a Acer Mini I use for my ceremonies or small events. I also have my regular laptop that is used only for my DJ business. Thus keeping it off the internet and bug free.
I have CD back up with me for the just incase something should ever go wrong with either of the two laptops I bring with me. Offering the best that you can to your clients is under your own control. If you are comfortable with the equipment you are using and you are proficient with it. That alone makes you a professional.
The times where it is not absolutely necessary for me to use my DJ setup, ie bands breaks, I may use an iPod or some other MP3 player. However, since my laptop controls my PreSonus mixer, it is truly the best solution for me. Trying to sell me on a product I won't use is like going to a car dealership and being offered a motorcycle. Sure it transportation, but not necessarily what I was looking for. I am sure glad that you are happy with your setup, as well you should be. It works for you. Others have setups they like and it works for them. I have started getting away from forum pages because of the endless bickering between everyone on who is better than who or who has better equipment than who.
What matters most is at the end of the night that the client is happy and is willing to give you a good reference.