cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NetTek
Registered since

Nov 1, 2005

Harmony Control for TC Helicon VoiceLive -- A Review

I posted this over on the AGF this morning, but thought the Bose users would also appreciate the info...

--------------------------------------
Well, TC-Helicon announced last March at MusikMesse that they had an add-on for the VoiceLive that would provide vocal harmony control by "Reading" the chords you play on your guitar or keyboard -- Much like the Digitech VL2 and VL4. I saw the Digitech board at NAMM and thought it was very cool, but have been a VoiceLive user since 2005. I also prefer the audio quality of the VoiceLive over the Digitech, so I knew that when TC made the announcement I had to jump on the TC bandwagon. They promised delivery in June or July, and I've been waited patiently for them to arrive at the stores (I don't like leaving my cc info hanging out there waiting long periods of time to be charged. I'm silly like that...) I had the link to the Sweetwater page in my favorites and would check now and again. "Delivery expected soon. Order Now!", the page would say.

They finally started shipping last week...

I have to tell you, this thing is tres cool! The unit hooks up to the VoiceLive via a pair of MIDI cables. Power is supplied by a wall wart. 1/4" input and output jacks for the guitar. That's it. The VoiceLive immediately recognized the Harmony Control without any adjustments. I literally plugged it in, turned it on, and started playing/singing. The only change you have to make on the VoiceLive is which preset you want to use. Key and scale are adjusted automatically as you play. Using this also now opens up all those "chord" presets that were useless to us MIDI-less guitarists. Before, we were limited to scales.

The first thing you notice is how quickly it reads your chords. No drag at all -- you play and sing, and it keeps up with you. Simple cowboy chords to m7b5's and beyond, it really did a stellar job of harmony adjustment. Of course, the audio quality remains pristine. Personally, I don't use pitch correction (I find it distracting), but I love the EQ, Compression and effects on the VoiceLive. They seem very subtle and to designed specifically for voice. Nice...

Test 2 -- Travis Picking. It said in the manual that for best results to keep your playing simple. I understand where they're coming from, but I'm not about to change my style to accommodate some gadget. I threw Paul Simon's "America", Jim Croce's "Operator" and Kenny Loggin's "Love Song" at it. The Harmony Control had no problem discerning the chord and providing the right harmony. Sweet...

Test 3 -- 12 String and alt tuning. My guess was that if anything was going to mess this unit up, it would be a 12 banger or some DADGAD and drop D. Nope. It listened to what was coming into the input and made the changes without batting an eye. 12 string? Not a problem. It pulled the necessary info out of my playing to provide solid harmony. Drop D and DADGAD? No problem there either. The Harmony Control really does "Listen" to what you're playing and adjust the VoiceLive accordingly.

It was a long time coming, but I am very impressed with Harmony Control for VoiceLive. If you own a VoiceLive or other TC vocal harmonizer product and are playing out on a regular basis, you really owe it to yourself to check one of these out. It maximizes the investment you've already made and brings your performance to the next level.
16 REPLIES 16
dandyman
Registered since

May 11, 2005

Re: Harmony Control for TC Helicon VoiceLive -- A Review

Thanks !

I just got mine and am looking forward to using it !!
dancingdogmuse
Registered since

Feb 19, 2004

Big Grin This is welcome news... RazzI just ordered mine from sweetwater.They seem to be the only one that have it right now...Just in time for the holidays..yeah..thanks for the info & review dave...once I get it and try it out I'll let you know....harry
Big Grin Dancing Dog Muse
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Once again, this leaves me wishing I were a guitarist...
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Pete,

I bet you could loop percussion or a full kit and add vocals.

Could be really interesting.
mitchellbergen
Registered since

Jul 27, 2005

I wonder if it would work with a bass....
Ted the musicman
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2006

Thank You for the Review Big Grin

I have been waiting on these things for as long as you have. I am glad to hear it's working great for you Big Grin

Ted
NetTek
Registered since

Nov 1, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Mitchell Bergen:
I wonder if it would work with a bass....

I don't think so, Mitchell. It says in the manual that it needs a minimum of two notes to decipher the harmony. Sorry!
oneeng
Registered since

Dec 23, 2007

NetTek,

Saw your review on Sweetwater. I have a VoiceWorks unit, but have not given it much use because it can't track my guitar (live is all I do, little or no recording). The harmonies are better than my old digitech stuff (owned the performer and vocalist workstation), but without cord tracking .... not really that usable in a live band setting Frown

I was watching to see if others would post reviews as positive as yours, but so far ..... you are the only one Wink

I am watching carefully for a head to head comparing Digitech's VoiceLive4 to HarmonyControl plus VoiceWorks/VoiceLive.

By the way, I am originally from Peoria, but now live in the Detroit area.
oneeng
Registered since

Dec 23, 2007

Well, got my HarmonyControl two days ago...

It does exactly what it says.... and it does it very well.

I would love to hear HarmonyControl plus VoiceWorks against Digitech's VoiceLive 4.