Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Help me choose? (Set B1's or B2)

Hello Everyone,

So I've read a bunch of posts about this exact topic and it seems the info is different on every post. I'm curious on anyone who has had recent experience with this.

I'm currently burrowing an L1 Model 2 from a friend that has the B2. I thought these systems were gimmicks until I started to use one. My band and I absolutely love it. Played an outdoor BBQ last weekend and it was brilliant, especially when it came to packing up at the end of the night

I just found a pretty solid second hand deal on the L1 Model 2 but with a set of B1 subs instead. On the system with the B2, I find having it on the normal, or + modes to have WAY too much bass. It's on the - mode full time. Last weekend the host was playing a bunch of terrible pop music and even with the sub set to -, the input trim set to just tickling the red light, and 50% on the master, the B2 was extremely loud. I felt like I wanted it to come down a touch more, but didn't want to start digging into menus during an event (I will figure that out this week).

So we usually only use the Bose for 2 singers, and my kick drum. At that show it was dual vocals, and an electric kit (on the DJ preset, couldn't find an e-kit setting). The toms were way too boomy and loud, but the kick was nice and full. I didn't have time to EQ, but I'm sure that could have helped the toms.

So what do you folks think? Should I go for the deal with the set of B1's? Or hold out until I find a used system with an B2? Some posts say a set of B1's is better, and others say the B2 puts even 4 B1's to shame. Just a bit confused here. 

Thanks for the help

P.S. Every time I move the B2 I think to myself, "man I wish this was smaller". So I'm heading in the direction of the B1's simply for that fact.

9 REPLIES 9
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Re: Help me choose? (Set B1's or B2)

I use an L1M2 with 2 B1's (and a T1). I tried a B2 and decided on using 2 B1's ONLY because I found the B2 too heavy to carry (also it uses up a lot of trunk space). The B2 definitely sounds much better.

These are great systems so it's a good decision to go this route ... my advice (I know - you're not asking) is to get a T1 (or a T4/T8 depending on your budget/needs). It really makes a difference.

Good luck and have fun. Better still, write back and tell us how it worked out for you - maybe throw in a video as well!!

Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Indeed it comes with the T1. Would love to get a T8, but since we are using this as a portable PA, it's a bit overkill for our needs.

Registered since

Apr 21, 2018

Same...I just upgraded from an L1 T1 to an L1M2 & T4S  to lighten the load. Chose the B1 cuz B2 weighs 45lbs. Bought an extra used B1 for $100.  Prefer this setup.

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Well I can’t resist, it’s all about da bass! Seriously, though, I see folks go in both directions with 2 B1s or a B2. I’m going to exaggerate a bit here, but it seems folks who use the L1 for DJing love the B2 which gives the bigger bass for their needs as you want to feel the beat for dancing.

For my use in an acoustic duo (2 acoustic guitars, 2 vocals) or trio (add an upright bass), we’ve found 2 B1s with our L1M2 are just fine. The bass is controlled and not overwhelming. We do use a Yamaha MG series mixer into the L1 which gives us a lot of EQ control. Having a T1/4 would work well too of course. 

Having 2 B1s affords some flexibility where you can just use one for smaller spaces or 2 where you need a bit more oomph in the bass. They also are lighter and are easier to pack. I think the B2 is louder and fuller sounding whereas the 2 B1s are a bit “tighter” or well defined sounding, if that any makes sense. 

Furthermore, at least in the US, you can find a lot of B1s on the used market for good prices.

So the ultimate answer I think boils down to the needs of your style of music. We like the clean, transparent, even sound the L1 with B1s gives to our acoustic performances where folks are perhaps listening in more detail to the music. However, we’re not a driving dance band so you have to measure our style against that backdrop. 

Not sure if I’ve given you any further insight, but hope this helps to some extent. 

Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

I'm in Canada, and don't see all that much BOSE stuff come up for sale in my area. I decided to pass on the deal but sent the guy a much lower than asking offer just to test the waters. Shockingly enough he said sure come on by tomorrow and it's yours. WOW! I don't know if we are allowed to talk price here so I'll just say, it's one heck of a deal.

Anyway! Now that this is actually on the cards, this will be used for my solo acoustic project which features a kick drum, vocals, and guitar. I had a Mesa Rosette combo for a few weeks and after plugging into the Bose I'm borrowing, I returned it immediately. One of the best amplified acoustic tones I've heard in a while.

We currently use L1M2B2 in our laundry room jam space with two vox, and the kick miced. The kick sounds really great coming through the B2, perhaps a bit boomy even on the Beta52 preset, again this could probably be solved with an EQ, but I haven't spent much time sculpting the low end. I also find that 58's are pretty boomy as well. I find myself constantly reaching for the low end EQ knob to tame it, but haven't found the sweet spot between cutting the boom, without cutting the body of the voice.

I don't honestly know how anyone could run this on the + or even normal bass setting for that matter. It is WAY TOO LOUD and unbalanced! I think the set of B1's will do the job for me. Especially since I find nearly everything through the B2 even on the - setting to be too loud/boomy.

Is there any different in the low end extension? I read somewhere that they both go down to 40hz. There was no indication of the db reduction at said hertz though. I would assume the B2 to be -3, and the B1 to be -10. Estimations of course.

I do have one unrelated question though. Do all of these array units sum the stereo signal into mono? Or do the speakers that face different directions reproduce the stereo signal?

Thanks!

Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Mate, when I bought mine I brought both the B1 and B2 home to test. In fact I actually brought 2 B1's home to test 1xB1, vs 2 B1's, vs 1xB2. The winner was the B2. I have been using it now for a couple of years I think, and love it. Sound is more full with the B2 and you will always have enough bass. The B1's have their limits. B2 would be much, much better outdoors too!

Registered since

May 28, 2009

I used to run 2 and sometimes 4xB1's in a stack, bought the B2 when it came out and sold all my B1's.
Yes it can get a little 'boomy' depending on the room but this can be tamed with positioning, EQ or the use of an Aulalex Gramma Pad (this will improve the sound of any bass module).
B2 heavy??  Compared to the weight of most conventional Subs I would call it a lightweight and compared to 2xB1's .... not a lot of difference.

Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Hey thanks for some replies on the other side of the spectrum. When I was talking about weight/size I meant to say that I can't easily get the B2 into the back seat of my 2 door hatchback (with the seats up). I figure a set of B1's is much easier to throw around. Yes both of these subs are light especially compared to the usual EV powered boxes I bring along. This system is primary for ease of transport as I already have a heavy loud rig I can haul around if I'm feeling strong. Either way I'll be heading there in a few hours to check it out and I'll know pretty quick whether it will make the cut or not.

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I've used both.  I prefer 2 B1s for ease of carrying and it's usually just about the right amount of bass for the acoustic guitar based music I play.  No drums and not a lot of bass needed.  However, in some situations it was not enough bass - I experimented with adding an F1 for some bottom and that helped.

My band also plays a venue through an L1 M1s with a B2 and it's WAY TOO MUCH BASS ALWAYS.  Difficulty in feedback control and headaches are the result...

Now if you're a DJ, want to thump the kidneys of the folks dancing and don't mind how bulky and heavy and hard to carry the B2 is, go for it.

For my style of music, The best of all possible BOSE worlds would be an L1 M2 with FOUR B1s...

I also have 2 S1 pros and for smaller gigs love those with a battery powered Behringer mixer.

But my go-to system for sound that complements my voice better than any system I've ever used, it's still my JBL EON ONE.  But that's quite personal and subjective and doesn't diminish my love for the portability of the S1s and the clean sound of the L1.

Good luck...