Highlighted
Registered since

May 9, 2018

Help with sound please - L1 Model 1S need more sound

Hi! I know this is the place and the people to help me. I have an L1 M 1S with a T1 and normally running two guitars and two mics in smaller venues - restaurants/bars/VFWs. I find myself in need of more volume because the venues are getting bigger and with the Spring here in Texas new gigs are outside.  I looked into just buying the L1 M2 but it isn't sold without the B1 and I don't need another one. So I looked into getting an F1 M 812 to supplement the L1 M 1S but I am just not sure what my best option is. I asked the rep on the other end of the phone at Bose and they didn't know much about the PAs please help. What are your recommedations? 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Help with sound please - L1 Model 1S need more sound

Hi Rhondabob,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community. I listened to some of the music on your site. I'm glad I did.

Rhondabob posted:

Hi! I know this is the place and the people to help me. I have an L1 M 1S with a T1 and normally running two guitars and two mics in smaller venues - restaurants/bars/VFWs.

Thanks for this helpful background information.

I find myself in need of more volume because the venues are getting bigger and with the Spring here in Texas new gigs are outside.  I looked into just buying the L1 M2 but it isn't sold without the B1 and I don't need another one.

If you're looking at an L1® Model II for your larger venues, and outdoors you'll want a B2 bass module anyway.  You might retire, trade-in, or sell the L1® Model 1S because you'll never use it if you have the L1® Model II. Well, you may if you have to play in a venue with a low ceiling. The L1® Model II is a four inches taller than the L1® Model 1S. Other than that, they look and work the same except, you will reach more people with the L1® Model II. 

The L1® Model II - lower section of the Cylindrical Radiator®  is eight pounds heavier than the same section on the L1® Model 1S.  You'll barely notice the difference. 

You might choose to keep the L1® Model 1S if you want to try using one L1® for each performer. That's a beautiful experience, but you it won't get you more volume. You will have more gain-before-feedback though.

So I looked into getting an F1 M 812 to supplement the L1 M 1S but I am just not sure what my best option is. I asked the rep on the other end of the phone at Bose and they didn't know much about the PAs please help. What are your recommedations? 

You can add an F1 Model 812 to your L1® Model 1S, and use that for your outdoor shows. In that situation, you might use your L1® Model 1S on the stage as you do now, and set the F1 Model 812 at the front of the stage facing the audience. The only issue is: you will need two F1 Model 812s to cover as much area (side-to-side) as with the L1® Model II.

If you were a DJ using bass-heavy dance music, we should be talking about a pair of F1 Model 812s with matching F1 Subwoofers. But from what I heard on your website - I think you'd be happier with an L1® Model II.

Let's keep talking. What do you think so far?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

May 8, 2018

Some input from an former user of L1S?

I was in the same situation. Had the L1S, was happy but wanted/needed more. Bought L1 model II which give me more volume, better spread/sound sideways, and also more prominent/fuller mid. The L1S sounds a liiiittle Scooped in the sound compared to the L1, if you know what I mean. We are talking details here.

I did own them at the same time and hade great opportunity to A/B test them side by side. Actually I bought 2 L1 model II and chain linked them and had them onstage left/right like a standard PA speaker system, but that didn't gave me much more volume then one L1. There can also be some theoretical issues with the fase (wrong spelling?) which is caused by the great spread sideways of the L1, if you use two and not put them far away from each other. So I sold one.

As for the Bass-modules:
I have owned 1,2 and 4 B1 modules. But they were all put to shame by one single B2. I have A/B test them. And the B2 gives a much fuller sound. It doesn't matter how many B1 you put up. They lack EQ frequencies compared to the B2.

Highlighted
Registered since

May 9, 2018

Thank you both for the quick and informative replies!    I've been batting the idea around for a while now. When you look at cost it is always a tough decision. I just want to make sure I get the best I can for what I am doing.  I have a couple of events coming up that will be full band, (drums, acoustic/electric/steel guitar, fiddle, bass) I have a zephyr - ZMX 122 8 channel mixer that I'll be using. Can the L1 M2 handle that for an outdoor event? I know absolutely nothing about how all the power runs through the unit and the mhz and so on. I just know I want it to sound good and not ruin anything.

I need a sound for dummies class showing me what my best options would be equipment wise for my venues and how to put it all together, how to set the levels and so on. I have looked online and the videos all assume I know something about sound. I know whether my guitar is in tune and that my voice sounds clearer with a little more mid, other than that I just plug in and play and depend on whoever I can get to tell me I need a little more volume. I want to make the most of this amazing equipment. I think I am going to go with the L1 M2 and just keep the L1 M1 in case I need it in the future to extend my range.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Rhondabob,

Rhondabob posted:

Thank you both for the quick and informative replies! 

Happy to help.

I've been batting the idea around for a while now. When you look at cost it is always a tough decision. I just want to make sure I get the best I can for what I am doing.  I have a couple of events coming up that will be full band, (drums, acoustic/electric/steel guitar, fiddle, bass) I have a zephyr - ZMX 122 8 channel mixer that I'll be using. Can the L1 M2 handle that for an outdoor event?

We'll need a little more information.

How big will the crowd be?

Will you be the feature or background music?

How many people will be listening to you? 

There's probably an area in front and to the sides of the stage where it's important that you be heard. How big is that area?

Will you be competing with other sound nearby?

In most cases, the vocals, acoustic guitar, and fiddle would go through the PA = the L1®. Are you planning to do that?

Are you planning to amplify the drums?

Will the electric guitar go through a separate amp or the L1®

Will the steel guitar go through a separate amp (or the guitar amp) or the L1®

Will the bass guitar go through a separate bass amp or the L1®?

I know absolutely nothing about how all the power runs through the unit and the mhz and so on. I just know I want it to sound good and not ruin anything.

I need a sound for dummies class showing me what my best options would be equipment wise for my venues and how to put it all together, how to set the levels and so on. I have looked online and the videos all assume I know something about sound. I know whether my guitar is in tune and that my voice sounds clearer with a little more mid, other than that I just plug in and play and depend on whoever I can get to tell me I need a little more volume. I want to make the most of this amazing equipment. I think I am going to go with the L1 M2 and just keep the L1 M1 in case I need it in the future to extend my range.

We'll figure it out.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

May 9, 2018

How big will the crowd be? anywhere from 100 to 150 as a minimum depending on the weather. 

Will you be the feature or background music? both. Folks will be dancing/ chatting/listening. Imagine a bar outside.  

How many people will be listening to you? listeners will be seated on the outskirts, some in the pavilion. Probably 75 might be just listening/dancing. Country/traditional country with a little 60/70s classics mixed in.

There's probably an area in front and to the sides of the stage where it's important that you be heard. How big is that area?  Pavilion is about 50x50

Will you be competing with other sound nearby? No, other than the usual rowdy crowd. 

In most cases, the vocals, acoustic guitar, and fiddle would go through the PA = the L1®. Are you planning to do that? Yes, fiddle will be mic'd as well. 

Are you planning to amplify the drums? yes

Will the electric guitar go through a separate amp or the L1® I was planning to connect from the amp through the L1 so he can control his sound since I won't have anyone for sound. 

Will the steel guitar go through a separate amp (or the guitar amp) or the L1® I was planning to connect from the amp through the L1 so he can control his sound since I won't have anyone for sound. 

Will the bass guitar go through a separate bass amp or the L1®? If it can handle it yes. I was planning to connect from the amp through the L1 so he can control his sound since I won't have anyone for sound. 

I figure with the mixer I have 4 mics(3 vocals and violin) and two acoustic guitars (although it says 8 channels it is really only 6) and 3 inputs on the T1 (electric, steel and ?). Would/should I run the bass or drums through it? Is that overload?

When this is all turned up, will we have any hearing left in order for the sound to get out to everyone, since the system is behind us?  

Thanks for your help