cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drj
Registered since

Jul 17, 2009

High squealing sound with 87A

Yesterday, while practicing with my beta 87A I noticed an intermittent high pitch squealing sound that occurred intermittently. I tried the para equalization which was helpful but didn't cover the sound. I then switched to my 58A and the problem was gone. I've had the 58A for five years and never had this problem. Also had the 87A for several months with no problem. Is there something about a condenser mic that makes them prone to this problem? Thanks for any help.

DrJ
4 REPLIES 4
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: High squealing sound with 87A

Hi DrJ,

quote:
Originally posted by DrJ:
Yesterday, while practicing with my beta 87A I noticed an intermittent high pitch squealing sound that occurred intermittently. I tried the para equalization which was helpful but didn't cover the sound. I then switched to my 58A and the problem was gone. I've had the 58A for five years and never had this problem. Also had the 87A for several months with no problem.

It sounds like this is a new problem with the Shure Beta 87A. What's changed?

It sounds like what you are hearing is high frequency feedback. You might want to check out: Microphone Feedback in the wiki.

quote:

Is there something about a condenser mic that makes them prone to this problem? Thanks for any help.

DrJ

If the condenser microphone you are using is designed for live performance, and you are aware of the polar pickup pattern, then it should not be more prone to high frequency microphone feedback. I have other condenser microphones that were well designed for live performance and they are NOT more prone to high frequency feedback but I have found that the Shure Beta 87A is harder to control than some others in this regard.

The Shure Beta 87A has a Supercardioid polar pattern. Here's a link to the Shure Beta 87A specifications, and a screen shot of the polar pattern.

Please notice that this microphone will pick up sound directly behind it. So you need to be aware of sound sources or reflections that come from behind the microphone. I've seen a floor monitors and even a music stand cause problems.

Please tell us about the physical space where you were experiencing the issue? Small rehearsal room?

edit: grammar
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

I stopped using the 87 with my L1's for the most part because of that high-squealing feedback. It's not always there, but the 87 seems more prone to it than other condensers I use.
Eric_sson
Collaborator
Registered since

May 28, 2009

Same as Tom, I found the Beta 87a unusable for live performance. I don't have the loudest natural voice and consequently my mic level has to be quite high, I was plagued by feedback when using the 87a and now use EV N767a's exclusively and prefer the sound with my voice.
drj
Registered since

Jul 17, 2009

Thanks for the feedback. As I said in my post, this is the same setup I have used for the past six months with the 87 and never had feedback issues. Because of no issues I must admit that I never have paid strict attention to where the Bose is positioned but I would say it is off to the side about 45 degrees. The room is fairly small. I just thought of the fact that I only use one extension tower when I practice (also sometimes when I play out) and the problem may be helped by elevating the tower since I am sitting. But, one extension is not new; I've used that for a long time. All in all, I've been lucky - I've had my Bose system for about six years and never had any of the problems I've read about on the boards --- until now. I'll keep fiddling around and see what works. The 58A is still a great mic for my voice if all else fails.
Thanks for your help.