cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeyc
Registered since

Oct 30, 2011

Re: How do you use backing tracks?

quote:
Originally posted by Angel On Guitar:
MiniLyrics.com for the lyrics.
and Karaoke version.com. Hope you can use it. T1

Angel, Have you tried Minilyrics lately ? Their site seems to be down. Ive tried for 4 days now and cant seem to connect to search for lyrics for new tracks Ive also gotten from karaoke version....any ideas ?
EssEll
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure no one on this thread would want to hear what I think of backing tracks, either as performer or audience member. So much for "live music," huh? Oh well...
Mister_D
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 31, 2010

It's an open forum, you feel the need to bash those that use backing tracking tracks go ahead. It's not going to hurt my trip to the bank to deposit my gig pay.

quote:
Originally posted by EssEll:
I'm pretty sure no one on this thread would want to hear what I think of backing tracks, either as performer or audience member. So much for "live music," huh? Oh well...
stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

I agree "Mister D". Well said. I use tracks, and if I might add, I get to do what I love to do the most. I get to play music for people, and with the Bose L1, I get to say thanks for the compliments on the sound. I have always received compliments and thanks after every gig. Take that to the bank too. That's a hefty deposit in my opinion.
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

We use 1 or 2 Compacts and a Model2 /2/bins depending on the gig. And for you guys who want to bash tracks let me tell you this. The name of the game is "Entertainment". You are paid to "Entertain" those who are paying you. I play drums, guitar. keyboards, from 16 piece dance bands to organ and drums duo's for over 50 years! Now we are a vocal duo using keyboards and tracks. Guess what? We had over 70 gigs last year and nobody came up to the stage and demanded their money back because we sounded like a 16 piece band. Just "Do it your way" and "Entertain" the people who pay you. I thank Bose for allowing me to continue my gigs at age 73 by producing state of the art "light weight" equipment.

Aj
class Entertainment

"music is neither new or old ..it just is.
ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

quote:
I can now put the speaker behind me and I can hear myself perfectly.

I am curious about what others use for backing track, what kind of files, programs etc that works live.

I use an iPad 3 with backing tracks from karaoke-version.com - as they make mp3 audio tracks as well the karaoke tracks that provide prompting with lyrics (mp3/cdg).

I'm interested in how far behind you - that you place your L1 - as I'd love to perform with it behind me but I get too much feedback.
ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

quote:
Originally posted by EssEll:

I feel sad for you that you had to put that in online in a "community" where we are all desiring to do the same thing - entertain.

Not all of us are on the same par, but that doesn't mean we're any less worthy to be here.

I am 59 years old and have only this month (August 2016) bought an L1 MII with B2 and a T1 - and I'm loving it - so are my customers.

I can't use it without backing tracks but the compliments on my sound are such that I believe those listening to me are not really concerned whether it's a backing track or not. I don't think any of them are any less entertained because I'm not holding an instrument.

I can and will continue to use backing tracks - and feel proud of it.

Long live the backing track!
stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

I was on vacation in northern Michigan, in a touristy town. They had a "music in the streets" thing going on. Thru about 1/2 mile down Main St. there were performers on every block. It varied from a solo violin, to a duo folk to a full out band. It was really cool to walk around and see all the different ideas on setup and gear that was there. The setup that impressed me the most was a solo guy, playing guitar and singing to backing tracks thru a Bose L1M2 and T1. He also played a steel drum on a few tunes.

My observation
He sounded crisp and clear, well balanced. A huge crowd gathered around as he played. People dropping tips into his jar and giving lots of applause. People were clapping, singing and dancing around. It was sweet. It was just what I always vision a great gig to be. All the other "acts" that were playing were also good, but didn't draw nearly the crowd this guy did. None of them played to tracks. None of them drew a crowd, just a few bystanders. Coincidence? I'm not sure.
PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

If you are a purist, then stick to what you do best. If you feel backing tracks work best for you great. We are all trying to get to the same place, that is playing to an appreciative audience. I have heard solo musicians do a great job and those with backing tracks do a great job. I heard a duo, bass and 12 string with a drum machine. It worked for their sound and they are booked quite a bit in the bars. In my opinion as long as you are playing along, it is not karaoke, and that is good.
PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

I am watching pbs, infinity hall with Melissa Etheridge doing a solo show. She is playing solo on some songs, then using a looper on others. The place is packed with an enthusiastic audience. The looper could be called backing tracks because she played drums, rhythm guitar and backup vocals in building a song. It worked for her. The thing is find what you like and do it. You don't have to justify how you play. That is your own personal preference.