Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilipNZ
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 6, 2011

Re: How long should breaks be?

It was a funny place in a country town, the setlist included waltz's, velida's, maxima's, gay gordons, montecarlos's all sorts, all done to a programme. The only good part was the last song of the night was "musicians choice"

The funniest moment was supper, timed at 10pm. We started the supper waltz at about 3 minutes to (Mull of Kintyre) but it's a long song, 2/3rds through at 10pm they started waving their arms, we had a verse to go, seconds later they were shouting so we had to stop playing, the tables came out and the food (everyone had brought something) was laid out. We thought we'd wait for the rush to pass and rush they did. By the time we had hung up our instruments, put on some break music and walked off the stage there wasn't a crumb on any plate. I think it was the only real food they had each week.

We played there half a dozen times before we just got sick of it. I think our "musicians choice" on the last night was "sweet child of mine" which might have made the "conscious uncoupling" mutual..... Smile
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
I had a house gig in a restaurant/bar back in the early 90's. The owner tended the bar and watched the place like a hawk. The stage area was around a grand piano set near the middle of place. The bar (and the owner) was about 8 feet away. He paid by the set, and he would decide when the sets ended and the next began. We (the musicians) were like another tap on the bar. He'd rarely let a set go longer than 30 minutes when the place was hopping. He'd let us play a little longer as the night wore on. It sounds grueling in one way, but it wasn't nearly as abrupt as you might think. It taught me to be aware of the crowd in a different way. It wasn't unusual to get 6 sets in a night, sometimes 8. The pay was better than average for the times. And there was plenty of opportunity to visit with friends and fans who came by to hang out in the lounge if

Hi

I remember doing a gig some years back with my 6 piece jazz rock group. We packed the joint and they loved to dance to our music of Chicago, BST. era etc. The owner always said.......if they are dancing they are not drinking. so he made us do 40 on and 20 off and the last set he would turn the temp up so the dancers would sweat more for last call. He was a piece of work.....but knew how to make a profit off of our "Sweat". Ah....the memories come flooding back now! Somebody get me a towel!!

Aj
"music is neither new or old.....it just "is"
andrewvanday
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

I work evenings in hotels (have done for 31 years) and used to do 9 till midnight with two 15 min breaks. When I moved from Jersey C.I. to the Isle of Wight, which attracts an older clientele it was 8:30 - 11pm again with two breaks, now it is all 8pm - 11pm with only one break after just over an hour. I have to have a break to change outfit which I think people always like to see. If I were to try to take a second break now, mostly I'd be on my own on my return. I don't know why this trend has happened. Perhaps the banning of smoking has had the knock on effect of people drinking less, and alcohol always helps people to forget the time. Perhaps this is also why my wages have remained roughly the same for the last 10 years! Perhaps that would be an entire new thread, perhaps it's been done - How Have Your Wages Fared Over The Last Ten Years?
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
How Have Your Wages Fared Over The Last Ten Years?

Hi

I think wages and breaks have reduced over the years due to the advent of the DJ. A good DJ can spin nonstop with the original recording artist and band. If and when he does take a break he can put on a break CD or program and still have music. Many club owners did the math and started hiring DJ's for a lot less money than a band. Wedding DJ's make a ton of money but the wedding cake still costs more than the DJ. Music can make or break a club or private function and the true musician and/or band has to work longer and break less to compete and possibly downsize the members in his group.

In the end....."Do it your way"

Aj
Class Entertainment
"music is neither new or old....it just "is"