Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mojo
Registered since

Sep 22, 2019

How to Setup L1 Model II with 1 B2 Properly

Hi, Not even sure which subject header to publish this under, so starting here.

1. We have not used the Bose L1 Model II with B2 during live performance because A. It's new and trying to get familiar with all the digital adjustments for instruments and vocals to get the right settings. B. Not even sure we can use the L1 Model II with B2 like this. C. Everyone is afraid or just not comfortable with it yet. I've read that this system can support a room of up to 500 people. Has anyone done this yet? Has anyone experienced any bad consequences, signal dropout or anything of this sort?

We play in club venues on varying sized stages with nice size 30' x 15' dance floors. As well as smaller cramped stages and stages
that are bad like the little recessed stage where everyone is stuck inside the hole . Really not sure if its possible to use the Bose within a stage like this, perhaps in a corner at an angle? Also, sometimes outdoors.

2. We play, Country (Old & New), Classic Rock, Rock, and some Blues

3. There are 4 singers who trade off on Lead and no more that 2 harmony singers, Lead Guitarist with Amp & Pedals, Rythm Acoustic with Amp and Vocal Enhancer/Pedal, Base with Amp, Drummer and Steel Pedal Guitarist.

4. Do we need monitors? I thought the whole point of using Bose was because monitoring would no longer be needed and reduce the possibility of feedback?

5. We would use the Bose T8S Board or perhaps another larger channel board. Would prefer to stay with the T8S.

6. How do we connect to front of house if needed?

7. Is one Bose L1 Model II with 1 B2 module sufficient, or should we have 2 for stereo setup?

I would greatly appreciate any good feedback or suggestions.

Thank you,

Martin

6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: How to Setup L1 Model II with 1 B2 Properly

Hi, Martin (Mojo),

You have posted your question in the Ask Bose for Help forum, and that means you'll only get replies from me (speaking for Bose).  If you would like input from other L1 owners, please give me permission to move this discussion to the public area.

Mojo posted:

Hi, Not even sure which subject header to publish this under, so starting here.

1. We have not used the Bose L1 Model II with B2 during live performance because

A. It's new and trying to get familiar with all the digital adjustments for instruments and vocals to get the right settings.

Have you set up your L1 in a gig-sized room to get a sense of how well it will perform?

B. Not even sure we can use the L1 Model II with B2 like this.

Thanks for using the Sketcher.

Since two of your vocalists are on the right side of the stage, I would do this.

So things look like this.

This will give you a better experience for monitoring for all the vocalists. The Steel Pedal Guitarist may have a challenge, especially if he is running those twin guitar amps loud.

C. Everyone is afraid or just not comfortable with it yet. I've read that this system can support a room of up to 500 people. Has anyone done this yet? Has anyone experienced any bad consequences, signal dropout or anything of this sort?

The L1 can work well for up to 500 people under the right circumstances (e.g., a solo performer or a band with one L1 for each performer).  Running a single L1 for four vocalists can be a challenge because

• As you add microphones to a system you lower the gain-before-feedback
  • With several singers, it can be difficult for each singer to hear their voice in the mix when all the sound is coming from one loudspeaker. This is not unique to the L1 systems. In larger setups, you might choose to have a separate monitor mix for each singer.
    • You can have separate monitor mixes with the T8S and S1 Pro systems as monitors.

We play in club venues on varying sized stages with nice size 30' x 15' dance floors.

If your primary concern is to motivate dancers in front of the stage and provide background level music throughout the rest of the venue you might be fine.

But since you asked (later), I think you will be happier with two L1 systems.

Then you can split the vocals

• bassist/drummer vocalists to the L1 on the left
  • guitarist/vocalists to the L1 on the right
  • you shouldn't need monitors (except for the cave stage setup)

As well as smaller cramped stages and stages
that are bad like the little recessed stage where everyone is stuck inside the hole .Really not sure if its possible to use the Bose within a stage like this, perhaps in a corner at an angle?

If the stage is recessed like a cave, you're better off moving the L1(s) to the front of the stage and using monitors for the vocalists.

Also, sometimes outdoors.

2. We play, Country (Old & New), Classic Rock, Rock, and some Blues

Great!

3. There are 4 singers who trade off on Lead and no more that 2 harmony singers, Lead Guitarist with Amp & Pedals, Rythm Acoustic with Amp and Vocal Enhancer/Pedal, Base with Amp, Drummer and Steel Pedal Guitarist.

Will you use a microphone on the kick drum or the rest of the drum kit.

4. Do we need monitors? I thought the whole point of using Bose was because monitoring would no longer be needed and reduce the possibility of feedback?

With one L1 for the whole band with as many performers as you have, you may need monitors. With two L1 systems, you probably won't. However, the cave stage situation is challenging.

5. We would use the Bose T8S Board or perhaps another larger channel board. Would prefer to stay with the T8S.

The T8S should have enough inputs and outputs unless you decide to run the steel pedal guitar and the bass guitar and a kick drum microphone through the system. Then we'd have to count the inputs more carefully.

6. How do we connect to front of house if needed?

The T8S has two pairs of main outputs. You can use one pair for the Front of House System. Also, if you are not using all of the T8S Aux outputs for monitors, you can use one of the Aux outputs for the Front of House.

7. Is one Bose L1 Model II with 1 B2 module sufficient, or should we have 2 for stereo setup?

From what you've told us, I think you'd be happier with two L1 systems.

I would greatly appreciate any good feedback or suggestions.

Thank you,

Martin

I hope that was helpful.

Questions?

ST

Mojo
Registered since

Sep 22, 2019

Wow! Thanks for the fast response and it was excellent helpful information! Yes, you have permission to move this post. Yes, we would possibly want to add drums and Pedal Steel in the future. I understand the need for more Channels or very careful channel planning and the need to set gains at much lower levels before feedback with that many vocalists and musicians.

We have only used it outdoors. I would love to try it in a gig situation with the just the vocals and guitars, no bass, no drums, and no steel pedal through the board, just waiting for the right opportunity.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Martin,

Mojo posted:

Wow! Thanks for the fast response and it was excellent helpful information! Yes, you have permission to move this post.

With your permission, I have moved this discussion to the public forum.

Yes, we would possibly want to add drums and Pedal Steel in the future. I understand the need for more Channels or very careful channel planning and the need to set gains at much lower levels before feedback with that many vocalists and musicians.

We have only used it outdoors.

How was that - outdoors?

I would love to try it in a gig situation with the just the vocals and guitars, no bass, no drums, and no steel pedal through the board, just waiting for the right opportunity.

Check out this video

The L1® Approach and the History of Amplification 

Cheers,

ST

Mojo
Registered since

Sep 22, 2019

It worked great in our back yard. The sound propagated/filled the entire yard. Anywhere you stood it sounded great. We were swapping musicians out all night of varying levels as it was an open meetup.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Martin,

Mojo posted:

It worked great in our back yard. The sound propagated/filled the entire yard. Anywhere you stood it sounded great. We were swapping musicians out all night of varying levels as it was an open meetup.

That's great.

I really enjoy those kinds of musical events.

ST

Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Hi, xytiz,

Please see this new discussion for your question.

T4S with two L1 Classic systems

Thank you,

Bose Pro Community Admin