Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 10, 2018

How to use single L1 model2 for 3 vocals on a large stage

Hi all,

We're a rock cover band with 3 vocals wanting to replace regular PA/monitors with a single L1 model2 with B2 and T1.

This is a permanent stage approx 24' wide x 10' deep. The room is approx 24' wide and 60' long. We usually have gigs there of up to 100 people.

You can view the stage sketch here 

We get feedback from vocal 1 and 2, and after much fiddling with EQ and Para EQ we don't seem to be hearing ourselves as well as we used to with the old PA, and not too sure about the overall volume. The mics are all Shure Beta 58a.

Would we be better off moving the L1 to either corner instead of center? If so, I can easily factory reset the T1 and start again.

Any other suggestions would be great, as this may not work for us with a single L1, not sure.

Cheers,

Dave Matthews

Edit - inserted Sketch
Bose Pro Community Admin 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Re: How to use single L1 model2 for 3 vocals on a large stage

We use a single L1 model 2 for 3 vocals in rock cover band , have never had issue.   It's in the center with 3 vocals with factory presets for mics .   About 6 feet behind us and volume is about 12 ockock

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Try running the L1 next to the band - one side or the other just in front of the drummer so she/he can hear the band and as far away from the vocal mics (mic 1 or 3) as you can manage.

(Another option is get a Bose S1 Pro to use as a drum monitor and place the L1 in line with the vocal microphones)

In one of my bands, we often play with an L1S cranked up pretty high to cover a half acre outdoors and placed next to the band and we don't have any significant problems with feedback or monitoring (3 vocals, harmonica, 2 acoustic guitars, Bass and Congas). 

Once you get used to monitoring the band with sidewash instead of direct sound, it's not a problem.

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 22, 2018

Dealing with a similar question using same setup (with 8 channel mixer). Does your band include drums? With our 4-piece full band I’ve found drums to be limiting factor as far as stage volume being too loud and inducing feedback. I also play in an acoustic vocal trio, no drums - my L1 M2 and B2 work like a dream even sitting 3’ behind us running 3 vocals, 2 guitars, 1 bass. We had a full band bar gig recently for CD release and I considered pairing the L1 out front with a L1 compact but in the end went back to our JBL PA which I knew would be LOUD even if it didn’t have the quality of the Bose. It’s always the drummer’s fault 🙂

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dave Matthews,

Please check out these tips about

Microphone Feedback

ST

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2018

3 singers are worth hearing. I love this system for Acoustic music but for the configuration in your drawing, I would be wanting to play at a low volume to limit vocal tone masking from bass and drums, especially cymbals, guitar distortion, etc. not to mention room noise.  I guess I'm pointing out the obvious and if that isn't it, just ignore, but I say that because I rarely hear a band at any level that doesn't bury their vocals with instrument volume. With a full band, you would really have to manage your mix well. If you already are, let me know how you do it so I can teach my band.

Highlighted
Registered since

May 28, 2009

FCBlues posted:

................ I rarely hear a band at any level that doesn't bury their vocals with instrument volume. With a full band, you would really have to manage your mix well. ...............

A good point and a trap that many bands fall into.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi FC Blues, Eric'sson (and everybody)

Check out this video: Playing Better with the Bose L1

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 10, 2018

ST posted:

Hi Dave Matthews,

Please check out these tips about

Microphone Feedback

ST

Thanks ST. I had gain staged each mic up to just getting into yellow, however I had done this after choosing the correct mic type. I see in the T4/8s example that the gain stage trim was done first, then the correct mic was chosen. Does this make any difference at all? The T1 video does mic choice first.

Cheers,

Dave

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 10, 2018

Jay posted:

We use a single L1 model 2 for 3 vocals in rock cover band , have never had issue.   It's in the center with 3 vocals with factory presets for mics .   About 6 feet behind us and volume is about 12 ockock

Thanks Jay!

Good to know you have success with a similar setup!