Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Royforreal
Registered since

May 2, 2018

I am upgrading my random 20 year old PA and am considering a number of options.

Hi,

I am upgrading my random 20 year old PA and am considering a number of options. I play harp (passive pickup), acoustic guitar and keys and sing. The combo I have going at any one time is one instrument plus voice. I'd also like the option of up to 3 mic channels and 2 instruments at one. I'm also keen for battery options.

I'm not sold on the s1 being my only gear, and have been considering an l1 compact and an s1 + battery. Can I run these together through a mixer? I'm looking at the Yamaha MG10XU 10 Input Mixer w/ FX & USB Audio Interface (Knob Version). That way I have a powered option and a small battery option.

Could I also run a different model on amp in that system? I am considering a Roland AC33 for the harp, and a roland KC for the keys, and link one of them up through the mixer with the L1 for bigger things. Does that make any sense or does that muddy the 'bose' sound?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
ccc1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Re: I am upgrading my random 20 year old PA and am considering a number of options.

Not wanting to sound rude in any way but why would you want to mix and combine different amps through your PA?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: I am upgrading my random 20 year old PA and am considering a number of options.

Hi Roy,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  It's nice to have you here.

Royforreal posted:

Hi,

I am upgrading my random 20 year old PA and am considering a number of options. I play harp (passive pickup), acoustic guitar and keys and sing. The combo I have going at any one time is one instrument plus voice. I'd also like the option of up to 3 mic channels and 2 instruments at one. I'm also keen for battery options.

Thanks for the background information. That's helpful.

I'm not sold on the s1 being my only gear, and have been considering an l1 compact and an s1 + battery. Can I run these together through a mixer?

Yes. As you know, most mixers (like the Yamaha MG10XU) have two outputs. You can send one output to the S1 Pro and the other to the L1® Compact. Another option is to daisy chain the S1 Pro output to the L1® Compact.

Mixer Output => S1 Pro => L1® Compact

I'm looking at the Yamaha MG10XU 10 Input Mixer w/ FX & USB Audio Interface (Knob Version). That way I have a powered option and a small battery option.

Could I also run a different model on amp in that system? I am considering a Roland AC33 for the harp, and a roland KC for the keys, and link one of them up through the mixer with the L1 for bigger things.

I looked at the owners manual for the Roland AC33. I found this

So it is possible to connect the LINE OUT(s) to a mixer, and connect the mixer to the L1® Compact.

Looking at the Roland KC550, and the owners manual

So you can connect that (through a mixer) to an L1® Compact if you want.

Does that make any sense or does that muddy the 'bose' sound?

Thanks

It looks like all the things you're considering are possible.

You could start with the Yamaha mixer, and an S1 Pro.  If you need to reach a wider audience get the L1® Compact.  If you specifically want the chorus effect in the AC33, then you can get that and run it through the mixer to the L1® Compact.  You can run the keys to the mixer to the L1® Compact.  Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the need for the KC550.

Does that help?

ST

@Royforreal

ccc1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Are you meaning to route your roland ac 33 and kc550 thru your new mixer 4 mic/line and 6 line ins with stereo out and have the bose L1 and S1 the recipient of the stereo output XLRs of the board? Or do you want to be able to switch speakers for your stereo outs on the board? Question, why not run your harp and keys directly into your board with two dedicated  bose speakers? If you use the effects off the board and add effects from the amp it might not sound so good. Is your purpose to use the effects of the KC550 or AC33 instead of the on board effects of your board?

ccc1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

I am not sure what your end product desire is but to many speakers cause a whole platitude of issues, but if you are merely after the effects, then if it were me I would purchase the roland effects in stomp box form and insert it into the board.

Royforreal
Registered since

May 2, 2018

Thanks for the replies.  I am new to navigating this and am sure my questions are noobish do I appreciate the help.   

My thinking was in trying different battery amps basically,  but still having avenues to use them in a bigger system. 

I but the bullet though and bought an s1. For the most part I really like the side.  I am considering an l1 to daisy chain and using the s1 as the primary so I have the reverb. I like that this gives me a larger powered option and still a battery option.  In the future I could then consider a mixer if needed.  

However,  the s1 has a bit of a hiss going on.  It is neglilble just under 12 oclock,  noticeable at 12 and gets much louder as you go up.  It is there whether anything is plugged in or not, but the hiss does seem to be greater when the keys are plugged in,  as opposed to the harp or mic. Keys are a roland juno ds88. I play alot of delicate high light stuff,  and I am concious of heading this hiss. 

Is that normal?  

Thanks

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Roy,

Congratulations on getting your S1 Pro.  

It's hard to talk about hiss, so let's try it this way.

With a volume control at 12:00 o'clock - how far away can you hear the hiss?

With a volume control all the way up - how far away can you hear the hiss?

Can you hear the hiss over the keyboard or your voice with a microphone?

ST

ccc1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Interesting, high pitched hiss, where are your eq's set, the high end in particular? Along with what ST recommends with the steps I would place all the high eq, and the bass eq around 12 o'clock. Are you using the tone control? What is the switch set for? normal, guitar, mic? As ST has asked can you hear this hiss with instrument and mic? Or do you hear the hiss after you turn it on with nothing plugged in? Is it in both channels?  Do you hear the hiss in all three positions of the tone match channel 1 and or channel two? Is the hiss static, or if you move your mic or instrument around does the sound of the hiss get louder or softer?