Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 11, 2007

I need help setting enough efx for a sm58 vocal (Karaoke) small venue on L1(m2)/B1 .

Can some one please help me with my settings on SM58 mics ? I'm just new to this game. I don't know how much delay,mix%,depth%,chorus.. Anyway, any help will be greatly apreciated.

Small venue (restaurant, maybe 100-200 capacity)
SM58 Karaoke style.

Thanks. Ed
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 2, 2006

Re: I need help setting enough efx for a sm58 vocal (Karaoke) small venue on L1(m2)/B1 .

quote:
Originally posted by dOoOb:
Can some one please help me with my settings on SM58 mics ? I'm just new to this game. I don't know how much delay,mix%,depth%,chorus.. Anyway, any help will be greatly apreciated.

Small venue (restaurant, maybe 100-200 capacity)
SM58 Karaoke style.

Thanks. Ed

Welcome Ed,

I'm assuming you are using a T1 since you are talking about effects and a model II...correct me if I'm wrong and we'll go from there.

Step #1: Set up your ToneMatch preset. Select category 'Vocal Mics' and then preset 'SM58'

Step #2: Gain stage your mic - set the trim control so that when you are singing your loudest, the trim LED is yellow.

Step #3: Turn up your mic to the right volume in the venue. (This is important - if the volume is low its easy to over-do it on effects)

Step #4: Now it's time to add effects....

There is no answer for what effects to add or not to. My suggestion would be the following to start (this is a pretty typical treatment):

-no compression
-no chorus or mod effects
-no delay
-a touch of reverb - start out with the default setting. Just turn on the reverb send for that channel and leave the level where it's at. Turn the reverb up or down to taste after testing and listening. Be careful not to go overboard - its easy to.

That all being said, there are a million ways to set vocal effects. Some favor a short delay over reverb, reverb and delay combined, some like chorus - it all depends. Since you are running a karaoke type event, Id stay with what I described above, a fairly typical setting.

Good luck,
Mike
Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 2, 2003

Re: I need help setting enough efx for a sm58 vocal (Karaoke) small venue on L1(m2)/B1 .

To add to Mike's great advice, I suggest that you'll have found the right wet-to-dry balance when you have enough of the desired effect, but you can still hear all of the detail and nuances of the original source. For example, notice that when you pile a bunch of (too much) reverb and/or delay onto a vocal, it becomes harder to hear the lyrics as clearly as you could before adding effects...

'Hope this helps...
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 11, 2007

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

ed