Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilr1
Registered since

Mar 21, 2007

Ideal setup for Vocalist using Mackie CFX II

Hi Folks

Could do with some help please. I am a male vocalist using backing tracks through minidisk players and playing occasional acoustic guitar.

Have just bought single L1 system with two bass bins. I am running minidisk players and vocals through a Mackie CFX MKII Mixing desk.

What is best setup for ultimate sound? At present I am running minidisk players into channels 3 & 4 on L1 via left and right TRS outputs and vocals into channel 1 via XLR output, both from the Mackie. Guitar is direct into channel 2. Is this correct. any suggestions / recommendations please.
8 REPLIES 8
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Ideal setup for Vocalist using Mackie CFX II

Hi Neil,

What you are describing sounds fine. Do you have any specific concerns or issues?

Please tell us more about your music:
  • What kind(s) of music you play,
  • Where you do it (size, type of venue)
  • Who is there (audience) - how many, what are they doing while you are performing

And just out of curiosity - are you in the UK?
BabyBlueEyes
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2004

ST is going to be your end-all, beat-all when it somes to L1 use.

Okay, so why are you using a mixer? I mean, I don't know much about minidisk players. Maybe you have to run them through something, but based on what you describe, it looks like you'd be just fine without it - plenty of inputs on the power stand. Are the MD players stereo to the mixer? It's easy to plug in direct and sum your signal without the potential issues a mixer presents.

Not second-guessing, just trying to learn some new things myself.
WSchaeu
Participant
Registered since

Mar 3, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by NeilR:
At present I am running minidisk players into channels 3 & 4 on L1 via left and right TRS outputs and vocals into channel 1 via XLR output, both from the Mackie. Guitar is direct into channel 2. Is this correct. any suggestions / recommendations please.

How are you going into channel 1 from Mackie CFX II XLR-output? - In general the L1's XLR inputs are designed primarily for mic's. This said the XLR output from the Mackie is too hot for the XLR inputs of the L1 and I guess you had turned the TRIM totally to the left.

I had made better experiances using the TRS outputs (which are just besides the XLR sockets) on the Mackie CFX II going with TRS into channel 1 (or 2) using a TRIM position of about 12 o'clock and Mackie CFX master volume position near unity gain. This gives me a very transparent sound (without any distortion) and the recommended "sometimes red flickering led" on the L1/PS1.

I use the L1's remote master to control the overall master volume.

If you prefer taking all signals through the mixer, then I would pan all mic's hard to the left and all other sources hard to the right (minidisk using two mono instrument TRS and both paned right). If you connect your Mackie CFX with two TRS cables from Left Output to the L1's channel 1 and from Right Output to channel 2, you are able to control separately the vocal-group and the instruments-group on the remote (in volume and tone colour).
As an alternative you could attach the minidisk to a stereo input (e.g. Mackie CFX channel 9/10) and use an EFX-1 path with a third TRS cable into the L1 channel 3 - with both subgroup switches up (nothing goes to Left/Right sum output). Using EFX-1 (instead of AUX) you can still use the fader to control the minidiscs volume.

Connecting your gear this way, you CAN use a special preset for the mic(s) (on channel 1), a preset for your guitar (on channel 2) and have both stereo signals of the minidisc mixed together via EFX-1 on a third line (on channel 3).

I would highly recommend you to try the presets (e.g. #03 or #04) for the mic's and maybe one for the guitar.

Wolfgang
neilr1
Registered since

Mar 21, 2007

Hi Folks,

Thanks to ST, BabyBlueEyes and BlackForestMan for responding so quickly. This was my first time using this site as I am a new bose user.

Just to elaborate on my situation. I entertain in Hotels, Clubs and Holiday Parks with venues ranging from 100 to 500 people.

To clarify, my wife works as my sound engineer controlling everything from the mixing desk which is located away from the stage area allowing me to concentrate fully on the audience without messing around changing tracks, volumes, etc.

I have used the Bose system 3 times now with progressively better results with each gig. My last e-mail described what I am understanding would be the ultimate setup for my situation. I was looking for people with more experience with the system to clarify this is correct or to suggest something better.

The only problem I am experiencing is elements of feedback from my mic - Sennheiser Freeport??

To ST thanks for the interest - I am based just outside of Birmingham, England, and travel to various parts of the UK. I have a big country influence, Garth, Alan Jackson, etc, but perform a wide variety including Soul, Motown, Blues etc, to cater for my varying audiences.

Once again thanks for the response if you or anyone else can give further advice it would be much appreciated.
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

Edit: radically cut out a bunch of stuff because Wolfgang (BlackForestMan) did a fine job in his revised post "two up" from here.

Presets: With some experimenting with various Presets, you should be able to find one that makes your mic sound "most like you"; as long as you hold the mic close to your lips, you should then have no troubles with feedback.

In general, you should set the voice volume to fit (fill) the room; then bring up the guitar and/or the backing tracks to complement the voice. (Too often folks will first set the backing track volume by itself -- because it's easy to do first --, then try to make the vocal stand out over the top of that. However, that approach tends to cause the backing tracks to start off too loud.)
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Hi Neil, Welcome to the world of the Bose L1, I only joined last december and like you came here for some much needed and friendly advice. I'm also glad that there is someone here in the UK that has almost exactly the same set up as myself and had almost the same questions. From what I read, you're doing ok. I know you need the mixer so that you can source both your players into the L1 and you leaving inputs 1 and 2 for the available presets. I think you have it about right. You also have the added luxury of a sound person (although you shouldn't need one, hence the remote) so all you have to do now is play/perform and enjoy yourself. Believe me it gets better with time and practice, much like the rest of the craft.
There are some different mic techniques you have to employ using this system because of it's design but most of it is explained either in the manual or certainly in the posts on this great forum. I'm only down the road from you if I can be of anymore Help.

Harry
neilr1
Registered since

Mar 21, 2007

Hi Folks,

Once again, thanks for the response, has been of some help but i am still puzzled.

I am still trying to get my head around certain things. Firstly I am using the Mackie for the reverb effect on my mic therefore cannot connect the mic directly into the L1.

If the minidisk players are connected to channels 3 & 4, (L1), via 2no TRS cables from the mixer and the mic via XLR output from mixer to channel 1 of L1, how can i get a separate sound for my mic if the source is the same? Should I instead use the Subs Out from the mixer into channels 3 & 4 of the L1 and therefore be able to control the minidisks independantley to the mic via the subs fader?

Still confused. Neil
WSchaeu
Participant
Registered since

Mar 3, 2005

Hi Neil,

with the additional information from you I have edited the thread above trying to make things more clear.

With the connections described there you'll have 3 seperate lines from the Mackie CFX to the L1 (1. mic(s), 2. guitar, 3. minidisc).

Great advantage is that you can use two different presets, and if you will use Mackies channel 9/10 for the minidisc and taking the EFX-1 the stereo signals are mixed together here instead at the L1's channel 3+4.
Taking the subgroups will work too, but then you will need two TRS lines to channel 3+4.

Again I would like to remember that the Main Out XLR's of the Mackie CFX will be too hot for the L1's XLR input (channel 1 and 2), - and the Mackies Main Out TRS's have an appropriate level for the L1's TRS's input (channel 1, 2, 3 and 4), and IMHO gives a better sound too.

Wolfgang