CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Impromptu neighborhood Friday evening front porch concert

We just acquired a second S1 and have been anxious to test it out with our acoustic folk duo with our other S1, but like everybody, all of our near term concerts have been cancelled. So we decided to hold a Friday evening front porch concert at our house for our neighborhood and use the new setup. 

Wow it was amazing. Not only to play for neighbors passing by (we kept everyone at a safe distance outside) who’ve been cooped up all week, but the setup and sound were so nice. We used Xvive U3s on the two Sm 58 Beta mics, a Xvive U2 on one guitar and a Getaria 2.4GHZ wireless system (which I found on Amazon US for $40!) on the other guitar. Both S1s on battery. Nothing else.

With this setup, we can now setup anywhere! Not sure how robust the Getaria will be, but it sounded just as good as the Xvive U2. It didn’t have an elegant channel selection feature like the U2 and we weren’t in a challenging wireless environment, so I’d prefer the U2 in general. But for $40 and casual use, hmmm.

A side note on both the wireless guitar systems, they both produced a slight hum on the one guitar that has a built in preamp. My guitar with a passive K&K had no issues. You could position the transmitter away from the guitar body to minimize the hum to the point you wouldn’t hear it while playing. You could probably cable to a stomp box tuner and put the transmitter on the tuner out to get it away from the preamp in the guitar and I bet that would eliminate the slight hum completely, but I didn’t actually try that.

So we had a great evening playing music for folks and helped them out of their shelter in place doldrums. Doesn’t get much better than that.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

40 REPLIES 40
prakashwadhwani
Collaborator
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Re: Impromptu neighborhood Friday evening front porch concert

Thx for the share mate ... Stay safe & healthy & keep spreading the love 

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Brilliant, well done guys 

Molfpedal
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

I believe the Xvive is made for passive instruments only. That would explain the hum.

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

To Molf2019, the hum was very minimal, but you’re absolutely right and Xvive clearly mentions that in their product description.

Just for folks considering it, I think it may be more acute with active electric instruments. If one is very sensitive to a slight ground loop like hum, it would be an issue. For us, with acoustic guitars (no high gain etc.) it was livable.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely a guitar (electric/acoustic/electro-acoustic) connected to it's amplification via a wireless system cannot possible cause a ground loop?

Handoc
Contributor
Registered since

May 2, 2019

Can't address the technical issues (as I don't use the same wireless gear) but kudos to you and your mates for "takin' it to the streets"! Just make sure your audience is practicing safe socializing 😉

Molfpedal
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

The fact that Xvive states that it is for passive instruments only leads me to believe that this IS the case.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Molf2019 posted:

The fact that Xvive states that it is for passive instruments only leads me to believe that this IS the case.

By definition an earth (ground) loop can only exist when the earths of multiple pieces of equipment form a loop (hence the advice to employ star formation for wiring all your mains connections in the studio). A wireless system cannot form part of a ground loop.

OTOH if you use a wireless guitar system with a battery powered speaker* the absence of a ground can allow EMI to enter the system, it might even sound similar to a 'ground loop' generated noise but is can't be a 'ground loop' causing it.

* The common one is a laptop running on batteries and a ground lifted connection, maybe a transformer isolator box, to the PA.

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Sorry all. My statement about a ground loop hum was trying to describe what the hum sounded like. The hum coming out of the Xvive sounded like a ground loop hum, not that it was a ground loop hum. 

It was probably interference from the proximity of the preamp (which probably puts out some small electronic field around it) to the wireless device transmitter. If you bent the wireless device 90 degrees to be close to the body output jack where the preamp is, the hum became louder. If you moved it out straight out away from the body, the hum diminished significantly. 

Again, the hum wasn’t very loud once I positioned the device away from the body. Not so sure about what it might do if this was connected to an active electric guitar with a high gain amp. That could amplify the hum to unacceptable levels. 

Thanks to all who responded with kind words! Play on everyone