Jan 10, 2020

Re: Impromptu neighborhood Friday evening front porch concert

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

CityFolk posted:

You’re most welcome. I feel like that Capital One bank card TV commercial when I ask, what’s in your set list? ??

What do you think of the Xvive’s?

@CityFolk

My set list is miniscule next to yours ... my repertoire has about 160 songs in all, though I keep adding as I go along (I got into performing in public just under 5 years ago). Typically I'll play some Neil Diamond, John Denver, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, Carole King - do you see the trend? I also cover a few Italian and Spanish classic songs and I'm keen to learn some more (e.g. Granada just got on my 'pipeline' list as did Rose Rosse by Massimo Ranieri). I hope to retire from my day-job in the next little while and the plan is to up my game with my music.

My preferred instrument is my 12 string Takamine ... I've always played only a 12 string - just love the sound. A couple of years ago I bought a Godin A6 ultra which is nice (two pickups - one 'acoustic' and one humbucker - which you can mix onboard) but I love my 12 string more than the 6 string.

The Xvive's are very nice. For a soloist with little distance between the transmitter/receiver (I've tried walking away and after around 15' the signal begins to get flaky) these work well.

The negatives that I've encountered so far, are:

(i) if I'm using just the S1 with the Xvive's (vs. cables) I suddenly have a lot more switches to turn off and on; 

(ii) the devices don't have an 'auto-shutoff' feature - where they'll turn off if there's no signal for, say, 10/15 minutes. I've accidentally left my mic transmitter on and by the next morning it's dead as a dodo.

(iii) the U3 receiver power switch is on the side when plugged into a mixer like the T8S. If there's another cable/device plugged into the next channel XLR, there's not enough space to easily turn the switch on/off.

You'll notice that I've not mentioned any signal quality issues - because I haven't found any. So overall I'm pleased with the Xvive devices. I bought them after reading about them on this forum - I suspect it may have been your favourable comments that I read.

In general I pick up excellent tips/advice from folks here and it is almost always a very collegial, supportive group. I really do appreciate the folks who very willingly share their experiences so that others can learn from those. I know I have.

I have to add that Bose equipment has taken away a lot of work - the setup and sound quality is so good that performing has less worries and I can concentrate on what I like doing - performing! There is just less to futz around with when I'm using my Bose (L1/M2, S1, T1/T8).

Cheers and stay safe in these challenging times ...

Highlighted
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Bob Sanford posted:  

Hi Cityfolk,

The only caveat in that setup is the Rx for my harp mic plugged into the amp and the Tx from the mic’d amp speaker need to be ~36” apart. Any questions, let me know! Cheers!

Could you please throw some more light on this? What exactly is the problem?

Highlighted
Registered since

May 22, 2019

troubador posted:

The Xvive's are very nice. For a soloist with little distance between the transmitter/receiver (I've tried walking away and after around 15' the signal begins to get flaky) these work well.

Just 15 feet?? I've heard & seen youtube videos of them working much much further? This is baffling!! 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Posts about the S1 Pro with the XVive U3 moved to

S1 Pro with XVive U3

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

WoodStuck Concert #2. We played again last night, but our immediate area and ultimately all of North Carolina starting on Monday will be under a stay at home order with no congregating in groups, leaving the house except for essential services etc., and all for good reason. All to lower the increasing infection rate.

So this time, since we essentially had to play to people on their porches or just walking by, we moved the S1s on stands out into our front yard to have them play out to the neighborhood while we stayed up on our porch. Still using the wireless systems for guitars and mics and all on battery.

We started playing just before sunset and went for 1.5 hours. We played Neil Diamond, Tom Petty, Neil Young, John Denver, Joni Mitchell, good sing a long songs etc. It was such a moving experience to hear people stuck in their homes singing out, applauding not just us, as well as themselves, and just coming together.

The power of music at its best. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 10, 2020

You guys are amazing! ...just sayin’

Highlighted
Registered since

May 22, 2019

CityFolk posted:

WoodStuck Concert #2. We played again last night, but our immediate area and ultimately all of North Carolina starting on Monday will be under a stay at home order with no congregating in groups, leaving the house except for essential services etc., and all for good reason. All to lower the increasing infection rate.

So this time, since we essentially had to play to people on their porches or just walking by, we moved the S1s on stands out into our front yard to have them play out to the neighborhood while we stayed up on our porch. Still using the wireless systems for guitars and mics and all on battery.

We started playing just before sunset and went for 1.5 hours. We played Neil Diamond, Tom Petty, Neil Young, John Denver, Joni Mitchell, good sing a long songs etc. It was such a moving experience to hear people stuck in their homes singing out, applauding not just us, as well as themselves, and just coming together.

The power of music at its best. 

Rock on bro !! More power to you!!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

City folk,  You inspire us!  I will order wireless today and I can offer this to my neighbors - when the time is right.  I am in NC also.