Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

In the RED even when trim is turned all the way down

im in a Duo (acoustic guitar and Cajon) using an L1 compact and a T1 mixer. we place an Audio Technical 4033 condenser microphone inside the Cajon and it's very sensitive and sounds great but regardless of where I set the trim on the T1 that channel slams into the RED. The sound is great. There's no distortion. It picks up the snares and the bass and is very present. My question is: will this harm the T1 or the channel we are using to mic the Cajon? Again, the sound is very clear (which I find odd) even though it's almost constantly in the RED. And as I said, regardless of where I set the trim it still hits the RED. I just want to make sure it's not harming anything internally on the T1 mixer.   Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: In the RED even when trim is turned all the way down

Hi DR. Roadkill,

Here's an excerpt from Audio Technica 4033/CL specifications sheet.

An integral 80 Hz high-pass filter provides easy switching from a flat frequency response to a low-end roll-off. The roll-off position reduces the microphone’s sensitivity to popping in close vocal use. It also reduces the pickup of low-frequency ambient noise (such as traffic, air-handling systems, etc.), room reverberation and mechanically coupled vibrations. To engage the high-pass filter, slide the switch toward the “bent” line.

The microphone is also equipped with a switchable 10 dB pad that lowers the microphone's sensitivity, thus providing higher SPL capability for flexible use with a wide range of users and system configurations. To engage the 10 dB pad, slide the switch toward the -10 position

Have you tried using the 80 Hz high-pass filter and the -10 dB pad?

Try them, then turn the input trim all the way down.  Does it still clip?

If so, I would consider wrapping the microphone in some sound absorbent material, or take it out of the Cajon.

I can't tell you for certain that constantly clipping the input will harm the T1, but I wouldn't do it.

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

PS

It's possible you are exceeding the maximum SPL the microphone can handle and it's the microphone that's clipping. That's why you should consider taking the microphone out of the cajon.

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

We will experiment with both those options. It's just very surprising there's no distortion in the channel and we are running at a volume to cover a 100+ seat room. My main worry is damaging the T1 as the L1 compact is not peaking/distorting at all. - Danny