Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Is L1 Module 2 an overkill for an HDTV in the family room?

A friend of ours has the Bose L1 Mod 1 system. He would go to other friends' houses to set it up for parties where karaoke would be in play OR small live bands (guitar, drum, keyboard, 2 mics) would be performing for guests to sing.  The sound is awesome! I've always love Bose speakers. When asked if I should get this for my house, he enthusiastically recommended it, but pointed out that I should invest in the updated Bose L1 Mod 2 system. After the initial sticker shock, I was able to find several "somewhat reasonably priced" used L1 Mod 2.  The concern that I have is that, would this system be an overkill if the primary reason why I am getting it is hook it up to my bigscreen TV?  Sure, we might host the occasional party where there would be a live band performing and I think this would be a great use for the system. I am even thinking about getting a capable receiver and 2 mic setup for at-home karaoking, so this system might have secondary use.  But for day-to-day TV viewing, would this be a wise investment (even used systems are starting around $1,500)?  Should I just get a traditional surround sound system and just borrow my friend's equipment for parties?

2 REPLIES 2
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Re: Is L1 Module 2 an overkill for an HDTV in the family room?

Way too much system for a living room. L1 Mod 2 is designed for larger venues up to 500 people. You may want to look at a single or pair of S1 Pros. They could work for your multimedia room needs and also cover live sound / karaoke, also, they run on battery for backyard / outdoor events. Two would allow you to run in stereo if needed.

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: Is L1 Module 2 an overkill for an HDTV in the family room?

I agree with Harry. The other question is your preference for surround sound and stereo. You may be better suited to a dedicated surround sound system for your TV.

Then get a S1 Pro (maybe 2 if stereo is desired for music playback) for the more performance oriented situations which would also accommodate 2 mic input. You could start with one and grow from there.