Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Is there a safe way to use the S1 Pro 3rd channel 1/8" stereo input as a mono input for devices other than music players?

Hi ST,

On the subject of connectivity, Is there a safe way to use the S1 Pro 3rd channel 1/8" stereo input as a mono input for devices other than music players?

I'm thinking about The Logarhythm Travelog.

O..

5 REPLIES 5
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Is there a safe way to use the S1 Pro 3rd channel 1/8" stereo input as a mono input for devices other than music players?

Hi Oldghm,

Thanks for asking. 

Oldghm posted:

Hi ST,

On the subject of connectivity, Is there a safe way to use the S1 Pro 3rd channel 1/8" stereo input as a mono input for devices other than music players?

I've been meaning to try out different things with S1 Pro Channel 3.  I have to rig up some adapters.

I'm thinking about The Logarhythm Travelog.

O..

I don't if this particular device will work well. I have tried my PorchBoard into Channels 1 and 2,  It's not great, but that's not surprising. The S1 Pro was engineered to handle frequencies down to 70 Hz. The fundamental of the PorchBoard is about 30 Hz so even the first harmonic is too low.  I think there's something about the combination of the attack and the low frequency that overcomes the S1 Pro.

On the other hand, I've had great results running my Digitech Trio+ headphone output to S1 Pro Channel 3.  That has simulated bass and drum tracks.

ST

Rick_W
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 19, 2018

Re: Is there a safe way to use the S1 Pro 3rd channel 1/8" stereo input as a mono input for devices other than music players?

Yes, you could use the ch3 input, but without a mixer, you have no equalizer and it is bassy when used without an eq.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again Oldghm,

I just did some testing with a 1/8 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable that splits into two 1/4 inch Tip-Sleeve jacks.

I was able run the Porchboard connected to the one of the 1/4 inch cables. The results were a better than when I ran it into channels 1 or 2. I think this is because the input sensitivity is lower on channel 3.  The volume wasn't very loud, and depending on the setting on the PorchBoard (L H M) I got something that sounded like a

L - a low puff of air (a polite description)

H - a light tap,

M - a slightly meatier tap

I don't think I would use this except for very small gig, if at all. The L1 Compact gives better results.

The output of my Composite Acoustic Cargo guitar is hot, and I was able to play it connected to either of the 1/4 inch jacks. It wasn't as loud as in channels 1 or 2 but if in a low volume situation it could work. I think it might work better with an outboard guitar preamp. 

Do you still have your L.R. Baggs ParaDI? Maybe that would work with channel 3.  Then you could run the Logarhythm Travelog into channel 2 and use channel 1 for your microphone.

For others reading along:

To stretch a point: in a pinch, you might even get away with running two guitars into channel 3. You'd want to use guitars with volume and tone controls or preamps with those features.

For someone who uses a guitar amp modeller with a headphone jack (most have that), you can use channel 3 and leave channels 1 and 2 open for vocals or guitars.

ST

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

The Logarhythm Travelog works and has usable sound in channel one or two. Don't think I want to sacrifice the good guitar tone in 1 or 2 to utilize the Travelog. The Travelog sounds better in the Compact than the Porchboard does.

O..

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Oldghm,

From your description, it's probably worth it to try the Logarhythm Travelog in S1 Pro Channel three.