Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

Jazz Duo Help with setup, please.

I'm running a jazz duo: one vocal, electric guitar run clean, and piano, split to play bass. The vocalist/guitarist wants to use his amp that he usually uses for vox and guitar for small venues (it sounds quite good) as a monitor. I don't think he needs it, but that is a different story.

I can either:

Ch1 vox set for Sennheiser mic
Ch2 guitar set to electric direct
Ch3 piano
Ch4 bass

Then run an output to the singer's amp to use as a monitor (which won't allow me to adjust his monitor other than global volume (at least with my limited knowledge of the T1).

or

Ch1 single input from the guitarist's amp for vox and guitar, set to utility.
Ch2 keys
Ch3 piano
This will allow me to adjust the level of vocal and guitar in the monitor, but will not allow me to mix the two for front of house.

I'm open and grateful for all comments and suggestions!

Edit title: Previously "Help with setup, please."
14 REPLIES 14
Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Re: Jazz Duo Help with setup, please.

Quoted from duplicate post:

quote:
Originally posted by Thundercranium:
I'm running sound for a jazz duo: one vocal, one electric guitar (run direct) and a keyboard. The keyboard is split, using a bass guitar sound for the bottom end.

The stage is rectangular, app 16' wide by 12' deep. The room is quite large, 100' wide by 60' deep, the stage being on the long wall. I have only had my L1/T1 for a few weeks and this is the first time I've used it in a room this size.

Can someone suggest the most effective way to arrange the musicians relative to the L1 in order to maximize gain before feedback and provide the best possible sound for the musicians and the audience?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Thundercranium,

In a previous post you said,

quote:
So I have the L1 Model II with the Tonematch. I have played two gigs with it so far, one with an acoustic duo and one solo gig at a local restaurant. I must say, I am very impressed. ...

Original Post

Do you have one B1 or two?
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

Funny you should mention that! I have one but I just arranged to rent a second for the gig.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Thundercranium,

I take it that these are the reluctant users?

Is the the piano an electric piano?
Can you split the bass out to a separate channel? That's just curiosity, I doubt that I would do that.

quote:
The stage is rectangular, app 16' wide by 12' deep. The room is quite large, 100' wide by 60' deep, the stage being on the long wall.

Thanks for this excellent description of the space. I am quite sure that if you put the L1® behind the performers, if you have the volume set to nicely fill the room, they should be able to hear themselves without a monitor. My concern about the monitor is that it INCREASES the likelihood of feedback, and - you will have no easy way to control that monitor separate from the L1®.

Back with some ideas in a few minutes.
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

You are correct about the reluctant users! My plan is to have it set up before they arrive, then convince them to try it as is before we start fiddling with monitors. I'm fairly certain they will come around once they hear it.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Thundercranium,

quote:

Ch1 vox set for Sennheiser mic
Ch2 guitar set to electric direct
Ch3 piano
Ch4 bass

Just to clarify... is the bass actually coming from the piano (split keyboard)?

If so then your apprach looks good to me except that you may not need to split the piano and bass sounds. I would consider it if you had lots of time to experiment but if not, then it could be a distraction from getting great sound for the vocalist / guitar.

-- skip the monitor if at all possible.

Do you know what kind of Sennheiser microphone the vocalist is using?

What kind of guitar? Is s/he using any effects in the amplifier?
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

The mic is an e835. The guitarist is playing a Gibson ES 335 with no effects.

The pianist is convinced he needs to run his own mini-monitors, which he usually splits and puts on the floor under the keyboard facing him. Unless I can convince him not to use them I have to work with two signals.

If I was able to convince him to only use one output, should I use the utility preset on the T1?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Thundercranium,

If the pianist's mini-monitors will not have the guitarist's vocals in them, AND they are not loud enough to bleed into the vocalist's microphone AND they are not loud enough to muddy up the sound of the L1® - then it's probably harmless to run them.

If he can give you two lines out of the keyboard (Piano and Bass) then sure - run two lines into the T1®. If not, then the T1® Utility Preset is probably fine. Or you could try the Keyboards/General Keys Preset.

For the microphone try:
Vocal Mics / Handheld Mics
or
Vocal Mics / Sennheiser 855

For the Guitar try:
Electric Guitars / Gibson ES-335/ES-445
If the Guitarist finds this to be too bright try:

Electric Guitars / Miked Amp w/e609
or
Electric Guitars / Miked Amp w/SM57
or
Electric Guitars / General Direct
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

Thanks ST! I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it all works out.