GP1
Registered since

Jan 18, 2011

Karaoke Remote Monitor Interference

Have had this L1 M2 for just a few weeks, and it has been a challenge. This unit is a demo on loan untill the new unit comes in, so maybe some of my problems will vanish at that time. I use a new netbook and midi-karaoke files for practice and connect a large flat screen, or smaller pc monitor for my singer. However, as the volume on 4/5 is increasd to performance level, serious flickering interferes with the lyrics on the monitor. This is so bad it's too distracting for anyone to use.
Right now I use a USB connection from the laptop, for a little better results, but I tried the headphones/lineout, split to mono, to 4 or 1 or 2. L1M2 and T1 and PC are on same cct. and on a surge protector.
The room is small, residential bar, 14x24, with TnG pine wall covering which reflects the sound much more than drywall, I suspect.
Could it just be the room? Any history of this flickering before? If this is a constant effect, I'm afraid I can't use this system, nice as it is.
6 REPLIES 6
adam-at-bose
Registered since

Jun 5, 2009

Re: Karaoke Remote Monitor Interference

Hi GP,

First let me welcome you to the L1 Forum! Second I can definitely help with your issue here.

It seems to me that it could be a power-related issue. You mentioned that you have your laptop and L1 on the same power circuit, and the issue only starts to happen when you turn up the volume, meaning that the L1 has to draw more power to get louder. That could cause the screen to flicker if there is not enough power available to keep the monitor fully powered.

A solution would be to try plugging the laptop into a different power outlet, preferably a different circuit if one is available. You can still use USB to connect the two together.

This is not an issue I have really heard of, so you also may want to try the same set up in a different location, if you haven't already. It could be an issue with the particular electrical circuit you are plugging into.

If you have any further questions, please let us know, and thanks for posting.
bubba1
Registered since

Nov 29, 2010

I'll keep this short .....I absolutely agree....if there is a demand for power and its not there it can play havoc with electronics.Try another wallplug.Try at home...see if the same results happen....
GP1
Registered since

Jan 18, 2011

Thanks for the responses.
However, I am at home, I have now tried two ccts, two monitors, far away or close by, short or long cords,two laptops, USB or headphone jack,all laptop mics and speakers are off, and no change.
Monitor freqency is set for 85hz as per other suggestions,perhaps this should be 60, or 100?
This occurs in any Karaoke program, Van Bosco's or Showplay.
Showplay suggests DVI or HDM connection rather than vga but that's all I have of this net book.
Maybe, as this is a Demo, or floor model, this T1 or L1M2 has been abused?
There is another problem, in that nothing I connect to the base analogue input will work. Total high pitch squelch the moment it is connected. Squelch even if I just plug in a cord with nothing on it!
Is there some clue in that info?
thanks again
Gord
adam-at-bose
Registered since

Jun 5, 2009

Hi GP,

Regarding the issue with the analog input, that sounds like it would be requiring service. Since you mentioned it is a demo loan, you would need to address this with the store you are loaning it from.

As far as the flickering goes, I am still not convinced the L1 is causing this. One possibility is the analog VGA connection from the laptop could be more susceptible to interference than a digital DVI or HDMI connection. I would be interested to see what happens when you get your new L1.

You mentioned trying multiple monitors. Would these include LCD flat screen monitors, or the older boxy CRT tube TVs. CRT monitors are susceptible to magnetic interference which would be generated by any speaker if it is placed too close.

It is an unusual issue but if you have more questions or want to give us a call we would be glad to discuss it further.
GP1
Registered since

Jan 18, 2011

Hello again
Where I am staying, we have a private bar. We have used the 32 inch Flat screen TV for all our Karaoke. To eliminate the TV i connected a Dell flat screen monitor but had the same results.
The TV is the other end of the bar, 24 feet away from the L1.
Again,I tried either laptop, various connections to the T1, different software.
This weekend I will connect a Korg midi module in between the laptop and the T1, just to see.
My suspician is the L1 I have, but I have one more fix in mind.
The room is 3 yrs old. Landlord knows everything. He used the quick connect on the back of all receptacles, "because they must be ok as they are approved". I will rewire the plugs with the screw connections, and eliminate loose neutrals as a possible cause.The panel is in the same room so I can check in there as well.
Can you tell me aprox what kind of load this unit has? That info may help.
Thanks
I'll call next week if it's still a problem.
adam-at-bose
Registered since

Jun 5, 2009

Hi again GP.

quote:
Can you tell me aprox what kind of load this unit has?

I am not sure what you are requesting here. In electrical terms, load usually refers to impedence, which would not be relevent to this issue.

In terms of power, the L1 model II system has a maximum power consumption rating of 500 Watts. That would mean that, at 110 Volts, the system can draw a maximum amperage of less than 4.6 Amps.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.