Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 31, 2008

Korg Mixer

I would like anyones opinion on this matter....

I believe I might have found the best mixer for the Bose dj that mixes from channel to channel with a crossfader. I was reading the specs for this unit and it could be the one to get. I need your help ST or Dynamite Djs, you guys know your facts on this system better than I do. I have 4 l1s now and 16 b1s. I started doing concert halls with them. Works pretty well. My next big party is in April and I will show you guys pics. I am considering buying this mixer and trying it out. What do you guys think about this guy?

KORG ZERO4
4-Channel FireWire MIDI Controller/Mixer

Zero Live Control Mixer is an all-in-one "core station" designed for live performance artists, remix producers, and serious computer musicians providing a digital mixer, audio I/O, MIDI controller, and effect processor all in a single unit. Each channel can be switched between sources such as a turntable, CD player, microphone, computer, instrument, MIDI controller, or MIDI controller + audio to implement a sophisticated live mixing setup with the simplicity of a FireWire connection. This gives you an incredibly powerful and flexible tool designed specifically for live performance and remix production.

Designed for high-quality digital and analog audio

Zero Live Control Mixer delivers truly professional-spec audio. It supports 24-bit 48 kHz high-resolution audio as standard, and can support up to 24-bit 192 kHz audio that’s equivalent to DVD audio fidelity. Along with the digital domain, analog components such as the input/output circuitry and power supply have been designed with painstaking attention to high-quality sound. The internal +/- 18 volt power supply design delivers plenty of headroom and excellent audio quality. The mic preamps are ultra-low impedance. The mic preamps are designed by Peter Watts, a veteran designer of numerous professional mixers throughout his tenure at the Trident Corporation in the UK and as chief designer and vice president for product development at Mackie Designs in the USA. Finally, the power supply is a universal design that does not require an AC adapter, ensuring that the world-traveling professional can get to work immediately, assured of the highest level of performance.

EQ Variety

The EQ Selector is a completely new idea, providing an EQ section with eleven different simulation types. They cover needs ranging from corrective equalization to boldly creative sound-shaping, giving you a variety of EQ responses and curves, filter characteristics, and even isolator modeling that can be switched independently for each channel as needed. The stereo four-channel ZERO4 provides one unit that is shared by all channels.

FireWire control over audio and MIDI

Zero Live Control Mixer contains a FireWire interface that lets you process and mix audio sources digitally, at the same time as performing MIDI control. Since Zero Live Control Mixer contains everything else you need (audio interface, mixer, effect processor, MIDI controller), setup is simple, making it an extremely convenient choice for the mobile computer-based professional.

A full complement of effects

One particular advantage of the ZERO series is its powerful effect system. On the stereo four-channel ZERO4, there are Insert effects for independent use on each channel, plus a Master effect connected to sampler/effect buss.

ZERO4 BPM Sampler

The ZERO4 also contains a loop sampler that can synchronize to the BPM.

Once again anyone should respond to this and tell me what you think.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Korg Mixer

Hi Savan Shah,

I looked up the Korg Live Control Mixer zero 4 and that's quite an interesting piece of gear.

There are several (over sixty) Videos on YouTube

I only mention this because I had to watch several of them just to get my head around what someone might do with a device like this. Not being a DJ, this is a pretty foreign concept for me.

Anyway - back to the nuts and bolts - here is what I found out about the outputs.

quote:
Originally appears on the Korg Site:
Master Output
Connectors
XLR-3-32 type L/R
Output Impedance
150 Ohms
Nominal Level
+4 dBu
Maximum Level
+22 dBu
Load Impedance
greater than 10 k Ohms

Booth Output
Connectors
1/4" TRS phone jacks (balanced) L/R
Output Impedance
150 Ohms
Nominal Level
+4 dBu
Maximum Level
+22 dBu
Load Impedance
greater than 10 k Ohms

I looked back over your previous posts and I think that when we last spoke you were running two L1® Model I units.

Did you get two more?

EDIT
Are you running your four L1®s something like this? I understand that you have twice as many B1s. I'm just trying to understand how you are using the L1®s.

Please see next message.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again Savan Shah,

Here is another picture that reflects your four L1®s (now with 16 B1s).

-- click image to make changes to the live version --

I just wanted to check in with you...

Are you planning on running two L1®s with 8 B1s for each side of your stereo system?
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

Hi, Savan Shah:

After reading through what I saw on the Korg site, it looks to me as if it could be a nice 4-channel-stereo mixer.

If using a computer with it, based on the advice they give for 'gain staging' the mixer, I would think that you would be best to use the "Booth" outputs to connect to the L1 -- based on their description, the Master outputs are linked to the volume sent to the computer (via Firewire). By using the Booth outputs for the L1, you can keep the L1 gain-staging and volume control independent of the volume control related to the computer.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Savan,
Sorry I'm not going to be much help in this one. I can only recommend the T1 as the best mixer for the l1. Of course your setup is still using cds so it's not going to work well for you with no cue ability.
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 31, 2008

Gents I apologize for not writing back to you. ST, Dan, and D DJS. That's correct I am running 4 B1's now. We are doing a lot of private parties and I am using a pioneer djm3000 as a mixer, the mixer works well...but everyone is praising the T1 and if it's that good I am going to have to take that into consideration. I am using Serato and that works pretty well for me. Can you guys show me pics on how to setup on a Pioneer djm 3000? I was considering buying the Korg Zero 4 or The Zero 8 because I thought like the Dynamite Djs company, stated in previous posts that the bose L1s need to have a lower input device setting forthe in it. Pioneer Djm might have a high impendancy so I thought lets go with a Band/Dj mixer. I only found that these two are the only ones out in the market that have a cross fader and have a Band rack style mixer setup. I could be wrong and I am still learning from what you 3 gentlemen are posting to others. I still believe I am not getting what I can get out of my L1s. I am still taking 2 L1s with 4 B1s to a party of 100 and the halls are pretty small like a VFW hall. I just want to per fect the matter so I can still use cds. Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Thanks ST, Dan Cornett, and Dynamite Djs.
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 31, 2008

Dan if I decide to buy the mixer I am going to take your advice and do what you said. Thanks again.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Savan Shah,

Here's what I found about the Pioneer DJM3000

Operating Instructions / Manual for Pioneer DJ Mixer DJM-3000

It looks like you could connect using the XLR Outputs (yellow highlight) to your Model I (or Classic) Power Stand Channel 1 and/or Channel 2.
Please Note: You may need to use the *6 Master Level Attenuator (pink highlight) to lower the output so that it matches up well with the Model I (or Classic) Power Stand.

The picture below is an excerpt from page 7 of that manual.

Whether or not you prefer to use the Master or Booth outputs probably depends on how you use the mixer and work with the cueing options.

I chose the Master Outputs because these appear to be a sturdier connection point (more robust physically) and it looks like this was the intended design. You can read all about that on page 9 of the Operating Instructions / Manual for Pioneer DJ Mixer DJM-3000

You said,
quote:
Originally posted by Savan Shah:
I am using a pioneer djm3000 as a mixer, the mixer works well.

How are you connecting to the Power Stands now? Are you having any issues that you specifically want to address?

Savan, if you want to discuss any other gear, please post a link to the operating manual and I would be happy to look at it with you. Please understand though, not being a DJ I am not in a position to comment on how you could actually use the gear or how it might work for you as a DJ. However, I did find some interesting tips here: Pioneer DJM-3000 Professional DJ Mixer tips and tricks page
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again,

In your lead post you said,

quote:
Originally posted by Savan Shah:
I have 4 l1s now and 16 b1s. I started doing concert halls with them. Works pretty well.

Do you ever use them all at once? If so, are you doing this?

-- click image to make changes to the live version --
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 31, 2008

I've used 3 at one time and I will use all 4 in April, but I see the way you want me to do it...2 on the right and 2 on the left. These shouldn't be that far apart should they? You can't set them up at a hall like one on each corner can you? I remember you telling me that I should not have long 1/4 or xlr cables running.