Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

Re: L1 1S level fading in and out.

I'm not speaking for CCC but I must say 'I get it'. I don't think anyone is suggesting the Amar Bose was a rogue in the true definition of the word, but in the context of the post using the term loosely I would agree he sounds like he was a bit of a rogue. In that context, so am I. At the same time I would state that I'm the most honest person I know 

In our R&D lab upstairs is 4 engineers, 3 of them are dressed in smart trousers, shirt and tie. One of them, when the weather suits is dressed in shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops... can you guess which one is me? I think that might cause people to say that I'm a bit of a rogue in that environment. Out of those 4 engineers there is one of them who will tell the boss (or anyone else) that the are wrong (when they are wrong) and stand by it... can you guess who that might be? It's me, the rogue of the team. I'm often the one who comes out with what sounds like the stupid ideas that usually save a lot of money and still get the task solved in a more than satisfactory manor, because I'm a bit of a rogue in that context. I'm often non-conventional, I've not been program educated by university... so 'yes' I'm an honest, trustworthy, generous bit of a rogue 

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Dave Hazel posted:

so 'yes' I'm an honest, trustworthy, generous bit of a rogue 

Hi Dave,

If you click on the rogue link below you will not find honest, trustworthy, or generous connected to rogue.  Appreciate your candidness, and I understand neither you nor ccc intend to be disrespectful, in fact your intentions are just the opposite. 

When I first read the term "rogue thinker" I asked myself what does he mean? That got me started on a search for that term and the definition of rogue. I found both, and in my mind they don't really go together. If Michael Wright is the originator of the term I can understand what he is trying to say, but based on established definitions of rogue, "I think" it is the wrong identifier for thinker in the context he tried to promote.

When I try to select a synonym of rogue to fit with thinker, none work in a way that I would use to describe an intelligent, industrious person. 

This is probably not the place for an English lesson, I'm not a teacher, and I'm only speaking for myself. I went looking for a definition that fit what I think you and ccc are trying to say, and I didn't find it. The only decent meaning I found was "fun-loving, mischievous person", and I looked at a lot. Dr. Bose may have been fun-loving and mischievous, but that's not what he is publicly known for.

I understand there are urban and slang use / definitions for words that differ from what we might find in a legitimate dictionary, but personally I don't think anything including the word rogue fits Dr. Bose. There are so many negative terms /words used in definitions of rogue that I just don't see how it can be twisted into a complimentary term.

If someone can link or direct me to some modern / current use of the term that makes better sense than what I have found, I am open to it.

Maybe I've gone rogue in saying this. 

This is just one man's opinion. I'll say no more.

rogue

O..

ccc1
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

You are funny in a good way But holy _ __ _! In a wow way, In a world of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Definitions change as generations do. Rogue in my world and my generation had expanded to one who stands against the norm. (not Bad nor Good) In the case with Bose (Amar) he promoted a new concept to the general public a different way of hearing music all the others at his time were using a box projected straight out, cones directed forward. His thinking, his ideas and product made him a rogue of his time. A cow that refused to travel with the heard. A black sheep in the sea of white. Where would literature be if the dictionary remained only 50 pages and how many great Novels would never had been written if words did not evolve as the generations did. Vocabulary is an ever changing,  ever evolving, highly fluid use of communication. It's conception was to try to convey speech in terms of symbols to pass on to others. Webster would have been long out of business if definitions remained the same and our vocabulary were limited to 10,000 words.

In the mean while back to my doppelganger. (Someone who looks spookily like you, but isn't a twin, is a doppelganger. Originally, this was a type of ghost.)

ccc1
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Oldghm language and vocabulary have never been static nor immanent, the way we use it determines the age we grew up with. The world is no longer black and white and perhaps it never was.  God idealism attributed to one man and his conception evolving and manifesting into a corporation is hung on a corporate wall as a reminder, I beleive it is called the mission statement. Capitalism is what it is despite our subjective interpretations of the founder.

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

If you care to know:

The evolution of rogue according to Merriam-Webster beginning in 1561

First use 1561 ..............Merriam-Webster since 1828

ccc1
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

This is turning into a paper on rock conversation, your desire to prove your point is heading far from the topic lets end this. Sometimes we go off in our own tangents and this one will go nowhere and no one learns.  

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi ccc,

Yes, Conversation has a way of wandering around. You, Dave and I have managed to take this off topic, but not completely derailed. Hopefully Dave will have an opportunity to do some troubleshooting and be back soon with some good news about his Bose system.

My desire is not to prove anything, or even be right. My desire is to understand, and to be understood. When I offer opinion that is contrary to what is being said I often include links to information that in my opinion supports my way of thinking. It is not necessary you agree with me, only that I do my best to help you understand where I'm coming from.

As for learning, most anytime I take off on a Google search I learn something. It may not be valuable info, but I learn. For example, this morning I Googled paper on rock conversation. I found the Popular Science article interesting.

O..

ccc1
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

"Yes, Conversation has a way of wandering around. You, Dave and I have managed to take this off topic, but not completely derailed."

Pointing fingers no fun but the discussion about Bose much more interesting. Lets keep up with interesting dialog as it then becomes informational to each other. I buried my hatchet now it's hand to hand! Just kidding!

Paper on Rock is a game scissors cuts paper. Rock breaks scissors. It is an elimination game. Like the short straw.