Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 25, 2019

L1 Compact Line Out to home stereo speaker

New L1 Compact Classic user here. Trying to drive a Bose speaker from my home stereo as a small stage monitor. Purchased a 1/4" TS cable with the standard red/black bare wire outputs but when the L1 working is working normally with mic/guitar, nothing comes out of the little Bose speaker.  The L1 manual indicates it can be used to drive a PA but does not show any specs for that output. Anyone else tried this? Thanks...

Edit Subject: Previously "1/4" Output"
Bose Pro Community Admin  

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Compact Line Out to home stereo speaker

Hi, Rowdy Knuckles.

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

The L1 Compact Line Out is engineered to work with a powered loudspeaker like a second L1 Compact or Bose S1 Pro. The Line Out is not amplified and will not work with a passive loudspeaker (like a home stereo loudspeaker).

RowdyKnuckles posted:

New L1 Compact Classic user here. Trying to drive a Bose speaker from my home stereo as a small stage monitor.

Sorry, that's not going to work.

Purchased a 1/4" TS cable with the standard red/black bare wire outputs but when the L1 working is working normally with mic/guitar, nothing comes out of the little Bose speaker.  The L1 manual indicates it can be used to drive a PA but does not show any specs for that output.

The Line Out is "Line Level".  That means you can plug it into an amplifier that drives a passive loudspeaker. The signal is not strong enough or intended to drive a passive loudspeaker without amplification.

Anyone else tried this?

Does that explain things?

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again, RowdyKnuckles.

Please tell us why you want to add a monitor to the L1 Compact.

The horizontal dispersion of the L1 Compact is so wide, you should be able to hear it if you have it behind or beside you.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 25, 2019

The sound guy is behind a curtain...thanks. I understand from another post the 1/4" output is not powered.

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

This post made me try an experiment.  I have a new L1 Compact and I have a pair of powered Bose Companion 2 speakers.  So I tried to use the 1/4" output to send signal to my Companion 2's and I get NOTHING.  The main L1 speakers play as they should; the Companions are powered on their own, but no sound out of them except static if I play with the connectors.  Any ideas anyone!

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Dave H.

Dave H. posted:

This post made me try an experiment.  I have a new L1 Compact and I have a pair of powered Bose Companion 2 speakers.  So I tried to use the 1/4" output to send signal to my Companion 2's and I get NOTHING.  The main L1 speakers play as they should; the Companions are powered on their own, but no sound out of them except static if I play with the connectors.  Any ideas anyone!

That's not going to work because the L1 Compact 1/4 inch line out is balanced mono (not compatible with the 1/8" stereo input on the Bose Companion 2).

Use the L1 Compact RCA outputs with a cable like this.

Does that help?
ST 

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Sorry ST,  My Companion 2's do not have 1/8" sockets, only twin RCA sockets.  So, I'm connecting them with an RCA to RCA cable.  Still nothing.  My Companions are several years old and maybe the sockets have been changed since I bought mine.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Dave H.

I can't find the owner's guide for the Companion 2 (Series I).  But looking again at the Companion 2 Series II owner's guide - I see what you mean about the RCA inputs.

Please confirm:

You are using a cable like this

Hosa Dual RCA to RCA Cable - 6.6 ft

to connect the L1 Compact Record outputs

to the RCA inputs on the Companion 2 speaker.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Hi again ST,

I confirm that my Companion 2's are indeed Series 11, as you suspected, and that the RCA cables I used look like your photo.  To eliminate one variable, I installed a different (2nd) set of RCA to RCA cables, in case the first was defective.  Lo and behold, I now get sound, although VERY LITTLE sound out of the Companions, and not enough to be useful as monitors.  Also, the volume thru the Companions is directly controlled by the L1's volume control.  If I turn down the L1 volume, the Companions go quiet as well.  It looks as if the RCA outputs in the L1 are controlled by the L1 volume control and are not independent.  Maybe that's by design, but it doesn't help me, since the signal strength to the RCA outputs is too low for my Companions.  Thanks for your help, and if you think of anything else, let me know.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Dave H.

Dave H. posted:

Hi again ST,

I confirm that my Companion 2's are indeed Series 11, as you suspected, and that the RCA cables I used look like your photo.  To eliminate one variable, I installed a different (2nd) set of RCA to RCA cables, in case the first was defective.  Lo and behold, I now get sound,

Well, at least you've found a defective cable.

although VERY LITTLE sound out of the Companions, and not enough to be useful as monitors.  Also, the volume thru the Companions is directly controlled by the L1's volume control.  If I turn down the L1 volume, the Companions go quiet as well.  It looks as if the RCA outputs in the L1 are controlled by the L1 volume control and are not independent.  Maybe that's by design,

That's by design.

but it doesn't help me, since the signal strength to the RCA outputs is too low for my Companions.  Thanks for your help, and if you think of anything else, let me know.

Too bad it didn't work out.  I mulled it over, but couldn't think of anything else. Have you tried an S1 Pro?

ST