Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Re: L1 Compact Output to Wireless/Bluetooth Ear Monitors

Excellent - I will try and advise - Thanks again

Dr__J
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Ok wanted to update this discussion after all the help and excellent suggestions etc.

I performed yesterday and tried the XLR splitter > Out from TC Halicon Harmony singer directly into each L1 Compact and the Keyboard L/R 1/4 directly into each L1 Compact.......It worked without any issues. I only adjusted the Gain (down) on the Harmony Singer - but left on the "bright"....next time will make the Harmony Singer "less bright".

While I had no issues (fairly large room) I will rent a small mixer - perhaps the Mackie and try it out; as I do agree that it will give me more control over the overall tone etc......

so to clarify the Mixer 1/4" Out will go to each L1 Compact 1/4" In - Tone Match still Off.

I have attached some pics of my setup yesterday. 1 shows my Overall "stage setup" and the other just the XLR Splitter connection.

I will update this discussion with my final observations - Thank You All!

Jeff_K
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Excellent! Glad to hear it performed better and the XLR splitter worked without issue.

Regarding the mixer out, you can either either use the 1/4" or XLR Main outs to the Bose 1/4" inputs. Ideally you would use balanced cables: 1/4" TRS to TRS, or XLR to 1/4" TRS (which I use). You can use unbalanced 1/4" TS cables, i.e. a guitar or keyboard signal cable, but you would lose about 6dB in volume level, and if your cables are longer than 25' you may start to lose some highs.

Jeff

Dr__J
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Thanks Jeff for ALL your "input".

FYI - this is what I sound like "direct" from L1 Compact RCA Out to Zoom H4n Recorded; No Effects - just as I sound Live with One L1 Compact

https://youtu.be/Adqu1X2bbCk

Jeff_K
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Very cool

I wanted to ask where you got your keyboard and freestanding banners at? We have a couple of 8"x10" logos we Velcro to the front of our L1's (below the speakers, of course, heehee) and one larger 2'x6'(ish) that we bought to hang behind us, but it's rare that we can actually hang that on the walls of where we play. Pretty much only works when we use a 10x10 canopy. I like the idea of the standup one you have.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dr__J
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Hello Jeff I purchase all my 'marketing stuff" from Vista Print (.ca for Canada). 

1. Banner One 20 X 36 I used velcro to attached to a small metal rod (very light weight) which sits on the Mic/IPad Stand which attaches to the Quick Lok Keyboard Stand
  2. Vertical Banner is 30 X 72 the Metal Grommets are 'extra' but give you the option to hanging on a back drop etc
  3. I ordered the Banner Stand and use a couple small bags (filled with sand) when Outdoors

In general it keeps "my branding" consistence including my Business Cards; again All from Vista Print - I find their prices, delivery and support excellent.

Hope this helps good luck and thanks for all your input

Sorry Added 2 More Pics

1. My Overall Setup (One L1 Compact and Older Banner)
  2. My Transport (One L1 Compact - I carry the Second one)
Jeff_K
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Cool, we use them for our business cards, not sure if we got our current banner/cardboard panels from them but will take a look. As they're too big / too small many times I wanted to get a mid sized one like in front of your keyboard, probably a solid one to stand up down front as we don't have a handy keyboard stand...or keyboard

The tall one would be good as well, larger and higher for viewing, but not so troublesome to find a place to put it up (and no worrying about tacking it to someone's wall).

Thanks, and glad all seems to be working better.

Jeff

Dr__J
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Update to my Post:

1. as previously mentioned - I tried the XLR splitter > Out from TC Halicon Harmony singer directly into each L1 Compact and the Keyboard L/R 1/4 directly into each L1 Compact.......It worked without any issues. I only adjusted the Gain (down) on the Harmony Singer - but left on the "bright"....next time will make the Harmony Singer "less bright".

2. I rented a small mixer and ran the setup Mic (TC Halicon Harmony Singer) to XLR Mic Input in Mixer, and Keyboard L/R 1/4 to Mixer L/R Stereo Input. The Mixer 1/4 L/R Out to each 1/4 In on the 2 L1 Compact. No Issues.

What I Did Notice in set up 2 (with Mixer) once I adjusted the Gain on the Mixer XLR Mic Input didn't have to touch it - that said I did notice quite a difference in "Tone Quality" in the above 2 configurations.

I think (could be My Ears Only) - when the Vocals (Mic) config 1 above is run thought L1 Compact XLR Input there is "more tone quality" - the only adjustment I made is on the TC Halicon Harmony Singer "gain control"

I found in config 2 the Vocal tone to be "somewhat flat" - with the SAME Tone adjustment on the L1 Compact > Mixer e.g. Treble @ 10 o' Clock and Bass at 1 o'clock......

In conclusion - at lest for This Chapter - I will go with Configuration 1 (XLR Splitter) for Mic and Keyboard L/R directly in L1 Compact etc....one lest item to connect makes it even More Portable for a One Man Band.

You can find my demo's on my Electronic Media Kit: (

https://www.reverbnation.com/themusicofdrj

Thank You All for participating in this Post the info was very helpful....Cheers!

Jeff_K
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Hey Doc,

Really not that surprising when you think about is, as when you plugged the mic/Helicon into the XLR jacks on the L1c you had the benefit of Bose's ToneMatch that is automatically configured on that input for a vocal mic, whereas the 1/4" line input is not. While the 1/4" input does have a ToneMatch setting, it's designed around a guitar input (I'd be curious to hear how a keyboard sounds with the ToneMatch switch on, as keys and guitar occupy similar frequency ranges).

You're right, though, simpler is better and whatever sounds best to your ears should be the way to go. Less "failure points", too

Jeff

Dr__J
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Hi Jeff excellent suggestion; 

While the 1/4" input does have a ToneMatch setting, it's designed around a guitar input (I'd be curious to hear how a keyboard sounds with the ToneMatch switch on, as keys and guitar occupy similar frequency ranges).

I have a gig tomorrow will report back....will use the "split XLR" configuration for the Mic and the keyboard to 1/4 with ToneMatch switched on.

Thanks