musicman7261
Registered since

Oct 7, 2009

L1 Compact exceeded my expectations...

I took delivery of my L1 Compact about a month ago...I have basically been using it in my home and have taken it to various locations to test it out. I even took it to work (I am a paramedic full time) and amazed my co-workers with the sound quality. They found it unbelievable that a unit that size could produce such amazingly clear and crisp sound. Our ambulance station is fairly large and I had the gain control turned less than a quarter of the way up...the sound filled the room, in fact was a bit overwhelming so I had to make adjustments using the volume control on my laptop.
Now for the real test. I did my first gig with the L1 Compact this past weekend. I was a bit apprehensive and was almost tempted to bring a back up system along just in case the L1 didn't put out enough power to handle the room. The gig was an open house event at a local fire station. The room was a very large "barn type structure" used to house fire trucks. The fire apparatus had been pulled out and the room was outfitted with picnic tables, kids games, small carnival rides etc. My DJ rig was set up in the corner of the room..I positioned the L1 Compact in front of my table. I got to the event an hour early and after set-up there were only about 15 - 20 people there. I was a bit nervous when I did my sound check, afterall this wasn't a room with optimum acoustics. My system utilizes a single space rack mounted Rolls mic/source mixer which allows me to mix in 3 mics and several audio sources. I powered everything up and turned the volume on the L1 Compact up to half volume. I cued up a song, started the player on Traktor software and began raising the volume on the mixer. To my surprise, I filled the room with awesome "Bose quality" music and barely turned the mixer knob up to 1/4 volume. I breathed a sigh of relief. I knew then that my L1 was going to be more than enough PA for this event. As guests started to arrive, the ambient noise with all of the kids games, rides, etc was pretty high. I just kept tweaking the music volume to stay above the noise. There were no less than 200 people in the room throughout most of the event I did a walk around the room and was very pleased to find that the music coverage was very consistent. I had many positive comments about the sound and when I pointed to the L1 unit people generally took a double-take and say, "you mean all of that sound is coming from that?". I would just laugh and say, "Yeah, amazing isn't it".
The L1 Compact completely exceeded my expectations. The Bose company rates this product for venues of up to 100 people...I am here to tell you it will do way beyond that. I plan to purchase a second unit in a couple of months. This should be all of the shound reinforcment that I should ever need. I am just waiting to see how it will perform at an outdoor show. I am a very happy Bose customer.
6 REPLIES 6
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Re: L1 Compact exceeded my expectations...

with reviews like this I am so tempted to get rid of one of my L1M1's, but I just can't let go....!!! Then of course add another L1 compact to my arsenal..geez what to do what to do....

You should have got pics/vids.
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

Musicman,
you will be even more amazed when you hear it outside.

The clarity really jumps out at people and it carries very well.

I would never let go of my model 1's or model 2's as I firmly believe that there are some things that they can do that the compact cannot. However, these L1 compacts simply amaze me. They sound excellent and are extremely quick and easy to set up and move around.
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

Exceeded my expectations also! This little guy keeps blowing me away! I have a Model II 2/bins/tonematrch and it has sat at home the 10 gigs because we where playing lounge type size rooms. At first I thought it would be good for only under 100 people but found out quickly that the compact can cover a 75 x 75 ft room very easily with very little drop off. It also makes for a great backup when using the Model II, so I will keep both. Where can you go and get a great backup system that fits in your passenger seat! Love my Bose systems....both of them!

AJ
Music is neither new or old....it just "is"
musicman7261
Registered since

Oct 7, 2009

Yes I plan to switch my entire PA arsenal over to Bose. This Summer I purchased a Behringer PHP3000 powered mixer and two JBL Eon305 passive speakers (the new EON design is nice utilizing light weight composite cabinets and titanium drivers...they weigh only 34 pounds each are are much easier to lift up on poles) I always shyed away from Behringer because old Behringer gear was used to use junk pre-amps...but the new Behringer gear has made some good improvements and this system sounded very good actually. HOWEVER, once I got a taste of the Bose L1 Compact...I am completely sold. So I am sellng the rest of my "non-Bose" brand stuff and getting a second Bose L1 Compact.

Later down the road I may upgrade to a Bose L1 Model 1 or 2...but for the amount of gigs that I do a year...I think maybe the L1 compacts may do the trick. Any suggestions or advice that you Bose DJs out there can offer would be appreciated.
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

I own a Model II with 2 Bass Bins and a L1 compact. I intend to ad a second compact in the future. Wouldn't use anything else.
westell54
Registered since

Oct 14, 2009

Wait a minute. So am I understanding that this unit can handle a medium sized venue in a DJ application with just one unit? I've got a birthday party in about a week and stumbled across this forum. I still don't understand how the unit works and the description suggests that it's not suitable for DJ applications. Can somebody please fill me in?