Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

L1 Compact in use with Gypsy Jazz meets Hendrix

Hi Everybody,

I just stumbled across this and thought it might interest a few people on the forum.

I've seen the guitarist in the foreground live and think he's phenomenal. The Bass player Dylan Taylor should be well known to jazz fans in and around Philadelphia. This version of "Hey Joe" is a bit different to most covers and may not be for everyone's ears. I think it's brilliant. The sound is what we would expect from an L1 system when supplied with good quality signals. Acoustic but loud enough to reach everyone's ears. 

A Compact can be seen in the corner behind the other guitarist.

Hope you enjoy it.

Tony

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Re: L1 Compact in use with Gypsy Jazz meets Hendrix

Great stuff, Joscho is one of my favourite Gypsy Jazzers.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Tony,

Is this the performance you mentioned in your post?

ST

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

ST posted:

Hi Tony,

Is this the performance you mentioned in your post?

ST

Hi ST,

yes it is. I can't believe that I forgot to include the link to the video ... 

Thanks for taking the time to look it up and post 

Tony

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Sam Spoons posted:

Great stuff, Joscho is one of my favourite Gypsy Jazzers.

Hi Sam,

sorry I forgot to include the link to the video in my post. Did you manage to find it because I included the name of the bass player as well?

BTW, I had a look at your profile information and saw the picture of the sailing dinghy. Purely out of interest I put the information on the sail into Google and under pictures found a link to Leigh and Lowton sailing club which appears to be based at what used to be called Pennington Flash. If that's correct, then it's a small world.

My mother came from Leigh, my father was born in Abram and lived in Bickershaw until marrying my mother. As a family we lived in Atherton until moving to the Lake District in Autumn 1962.

As a child I got up at 5 AM most Sundays with my father and went fishing either on Pennington Flash or the canal at Runcorn. I remember these times fondly although they're now getting on for 60 years ago.

I moved to Germany in 1977 where I still live.

You also appear to have a nice little studio there. Is that a Behringer X32 I can see there? Very nice. Midas preamps etc. and a very underrated mixer.

Glad you enjoyed the video even if you did apparently have to look it up for yourself. Sorry again about that.

Tony

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Hi Tony, a small world indeed and yes I do sail at Leigh & Lowton SC on Pennington Flash. I was a member there in my teens and rejoined a couple of years ago some 50 years later. I have lived a few miles away in or near Flixton all my life.

The studio is a bit of an indulgence as I was a live sound guy for the last 15 years before I retired in 2017 but I have always done a bit of non-serious recording and still play in a band with a couple of mates, we're rehearsing in there tonight. Oh and yes is is an X32. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

BTW I was aware of the other video of Joscho Stephan playing "Hey Joe" with his dad on rhythm guitar. I try to play a bit of Gypsy Jazz myself but Joscho is one of the best, I'd love to see him live. 

Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

The Gypsy Jazz guys have neurons that operate at a different (much higher, faster) level than we mere mortals.

I attended a guitar workshop a few years ago run by Frank Vignola (with Vinny Raniolo).  Luckily, I had worked up bass parts for the charts on my U-bass since my guitar sat in the case the whole day.  So I had fun as one of the 2 bass players.

The funniest bit though was after Frank had explained a rather intricate, convoluted bit of practice regimen based on ESSENTIAL musical theory as applied to the guitar neck, he paused and then shaking his head said, "And then there's Tommy Emmanuel, he can't even read music!"

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Chet posted:

The Gypsy Jazz guys have neurons that operate at a different (much higher, faster) level than we mere mortals.

You're not wrong there.

I attended a guitar workshop a few years ago run by Frank Vignola (with Vinny Raniolo).  Luckily, I had worked up bass parts for the charts on my U-bass since my guitar sat in the case the whole day.  So I had fun as one of the 2 bass players.

I bet you enjoyed that.

The funniest bit though was after Frank had explained a rather intricate, convoluted bit of practice regimen based on ESSENTIAL musical theory as applied to the guitar neck, he paused and then shaking his head said, "And then there's Tommy Emmanuel, he can't even read music!"

When I saw Joscho he was part of the program (with his band) with Tommy Emmanuel. He's really wicked and he says himself that he can't read music.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Sam Spoons posted:

BTW I was aware of the other video of Joscho Stephan playing "Hey Joe" with his dad on rhythm guitar. I try to play a bit of Gypsy Jazz myself but Joscho is one of the best, I'd love to see him live. 

I know that video too. It's really good. I posted (meant to originally but forgot the link) this one because of the L1 Compact.