Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KBlake
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 28, 2018

L1 Compact owner, just added an S1 Pro-Stereo connection help

I'm a mobile DJ, and have owned the L1C for several years, and love it. With the advent of the S1 Pro, I thought it would be nice to use it connected to my mixer, with the L1 connected as either left or right, and the S1 on a stand connected as the opposite channel.

1) The mixer has RCA outputs, what would be the best way to wire this?

2) If stereo playback is really not the best use of my resources, what would be the best way to wire up the two PA systems to the mixer for best results? (please be specific as to what type of cable to use, with what connectors)

Side Note: This forum isn't fully Safari compatible, I had to use the iOS version of the Chrome browser to sucessfully login to the forum. 

TIA for any help. 

Ken

9 REPLIES 9
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Compact owner, just added an S1 Pro-Stereo connection help

Hi Ken,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community. 

Congratulations on getting your S1 Pro.

You can click any image in this post for more details.

KBlake posted:

I'm a mobile DJ, and have owned the L1C for several years, and love it. With the advent of the S1 Pro, I thought it would be nice to use it connected to my mixer, with the L1 connected as either left or right, and the S1 on a stand connected as the opposite channel.

1. 1) The mixer has RCA outputs, what would be the best way to wire this?

For the connection to the S1 Pro, you can use an RCA cable (just one - not a pair) with an adapter like this for the S1 Pro end.

2 Pack CESS 6.35mm 1/4inch Male Mono Plug To RCA Female Audio Adapter Connector (#627: 6.35mm Mono Male to RCA Female,2-Pack)

It doesn't have to be this specific model. You are looking for an RCA female to 1/4" male adapter.

2) If stereo playback is really not the best use of my resources, what would be the best way to wire up the two PA systems to the mixer for best results? (please be specific as to what type of cable to use, with what connectors)

To run mono to both the L1® Compact and the S1 Pro

1. Use the Left and Right RCA mixer outputs to the L1® Compact channel 2 using a stereo RCA cable.
    20 ft foot 2 Dual RCA Audio Cable for Stereo CD DVD Amplifier Mixer DJ PA
  2. Connect the L1® Compact Line OUT (1/4" output on the back) to the S1 Pro Channel 1. Use a 1/4" Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable.
    Hosa HSS-020 REAN 1/4 inch TRS Pro Balanced Interconnect Cable, 20 feet

3. Set the volume on the L1® Compact first, and then set the volume on the S1 Pro. Note: If you change the volume on the L1® Compact, it will also affect the volume on the S1 Pro.

Side Note: This forum isn't fully Safari compatible, I had to use the iOS version of the Chrome browser to sucessfully login to the forum. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll ask the Bose Pro Community Admin to look at that.

TIA for any help. 

Ken

Does that help?

ST

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi ST,

On the subject of connectivity, Is there a safe way to ...

Please follow the link below to a new discussion for this question.

Is there a safe way to use the S1 Pro 3rd channel 1/8" stereo input as a mono input for devices othe...

KBlake
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 28, 2018

Thanks ST, Amazingly detailed response, and very quick!

I've ordered the adapter and cable you linked, so I'll have the option to connect them either way.

What are the pros and cons of each method of connection? I think I saw you post in another thread that the series/mono connection yields greater SPL?

I was originally planning to purchase a second L1C at some point, but the S1 Pro fills the gap between my Soundlink III and my L1C, while also giving me the ability to play larger venues than the L1C can easily handle by itself.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi KBlake,

When you connect the L1 Compact to the S1 Pro you want to use a 1/4" Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable.
Hosa HSS-020 REAN 1/4 inch TRS Pro Balanced Interconnect Cable, 20 feet

If you use a 1/4" Tip-Sleeve cable (ordinary instrument cable) you will lose up to -6 dB, and you will be more vulnerable to line noise.

All good?

ST

KBlake
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 28, 2018

Thanks, I was actually asking about the pros and cons of stereo/parallel vs. mono/series connection. I did order a TRS cable, however.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi KBlake,

KBlake posted:

Thanks, I was actually asking about the pros and cons of stereo/parallel vs. mono/series connection. I did order a TRS cable, however.

Thanks for the clarification.

Stereo

Ideally you have two identical loudspeakers in a symetrical arrangement with most of your audience between the loudspeakers.  One loudspeaker carries the LEFT signal, the other loudspeaker carries the RIGHT signal.  People in the audience should be able to hear both LEFT and RIGHT equally.  For most conventional loudspeakers, this means the audience should be in front of, and between the loudspeakers. The people in the middle will get the best stereo experience. 

If you have two L1® Compacts, it is less critical that people be in the middle. That's because the horizontal dispersion of the L1 Compacts is so wide.

Mono

Mono means that each loudspeaker has the combined LEFT and RIGHT signals. You don't need two identical loudspeakers, they don't have to be in a symetrical arrangement, and you don't have to be concerned that people can hear all the loudspeakers at equal volume. Just put the loudspeakers where you need the sound and aim them at the people.

Which is Best

Try it both way and see what sounds best to you.  Some mobile DJs insist that stereo is best. Other mobile DJs say that if the audience is moving around, they will not get a consistent stereo experience - so it's not worth the trouble.

KBlake posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? ...
I think I saw you post in another thread that the series/mono connection yields greater SPL?

Not necessarily. If you find that post, please post a link it. I may have to correct it.

Does that help?

ST 

KBlake
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 28, 2018

Thanks, I guess I will experiment. Intuition tells me that I'll have better luck with mixed/mono in series in outdoor venues though.

You were talking about connecting series/mono, but you attributed the SPL improvement to using a TRS cable, I misunderstood it the first time I read it.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi KBlake,

It sounds like we're on the same page now.

About Stereo or Mono: Please come back and tell us what works best for you.

Thanks,

ST

KBlake
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 28, 2018

We are, thank you again for being so helpful.

I will, but it will be awhile. I just DJ on the side, for friends/family/referrals. I probably do 4-6 gigs a year.