Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 14, 2020

L1 Model 1S with third party mixer

I was just about to purchase an L1s but wanted to clarify the set up. I currently run 2 powered speakers through a mixing desk and need at least 8 inputs, we work  as a 2 pce and 3 pce and i run my guitar straight thru the mixer. we run backing tracks that are in stereo. does the L1 split those signals at all or does it take our stereo mix and make it all mono. Also how does the mixing desk connect to the L1 , just through the jack out L or the monitor out. and does that just go to the aux input on the L1? Thanks

Edit Subject: Previously "New set up"

Bose Pro Community Admin  

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Model 1S with third party mixer

Hi, BrettM.

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.  Thank you for joining us.

BrettM posted:

I was just about to purchase an L1s but wanted to clarify the set up.

I'll assume you're getting an L1 Model 1S with a B2 bass module (or B1 bass module).

The Input Panel looks like this.

Since you are using a third-party mixer, you won't use the ToneMatch port at the bottom right.

You will use the Analog Input.

I currently run 2 powered speakers through a mixing desk and need at least 8 inputs, we work  as a 2 pce and 3 pce and i run my guitar straight thru the mixer. we run backing tracks that are in stereo.

Thanks for the background information.

does the L1 split those signals at all or does it take our stereo mix and make it all mono.

The L1 Model 1S Analog input is balanced mono using a 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve input jack. This is not compatible with a stereo source.

You want to mix down to mono before connecting the mixer to the L1 input.

Generic mixer to L1 Model 1S

Also how does the mixing desk connect to the L1 , just through the jack out L or the monitor out. and does that just go to the aux input on the L1?

You can:

• Pan all your inputs hard left
    • connect the left output to the L1 
      OR
  • Set up a mono monitor mix
    • connect the monitor output to the L1

If the output from the mixer is balanced then use a balanced cable to connect to the L1.

14 trs

or

XLR Female to TRS

For details see:  Balanced vs Unbalanced

Setting the Trim Control
  1. Set the Trim control on the power stand to the 0 (zero) position.
  2. Connect the audio source to the Analog Input
  3. Adjust the volume of the source device output to the reference or nominal output level. This may be marked as 0 dB. 
  4. While playing/singing as loud as you will during your performance, increase the L1 Model 1S Trim level so that the Signal/Clip indicator glows green or yellow. Occasional flickers of red are okay.
  5. If the Signal/Clip indicator glows solid red or you hear distortion, decrease the L1 Model 1S Trim level so that it glows only green or yellow.

Thanks

We have more notes on the subject here: Stereo Mixer to Mono L1® 

If you need a more detailed explanation, please give us a link to the owners manual for your mixer and tell us about the source for your backing tracks and how you are connecting them to the mixer.

Does that help?
ST