Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

L1 Model II, should we get a B1 or B2?

There seems to be some really useful info here so I'm hoping someone can advise. We're a two-piece band considering buying a Bose L1 system for convenience and quality. Our current set-up is electric base (through a 100w Fender Rumble), electro-acoustic guitar, drum machine (BeatBuddy) and two voices through a 200w amp/PA and speakers on stands. I'm thinking LI model II, but don't know what bass speaker/s to go for. We can play from small pubs to outside events. Hope someone can make some suggestions.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Model II, should we get a B1 or B2?

Hi Terry Martin,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

It sounds like you'll be happier with a B2 bass module rather than a B1.

Terry Martin posted:

There seems to be some really useful info here so I'm hoping someone can advise. We're a two-piece band considering buying a Bose L1 system for convenience and quality.

Our current set-up is electric base (through a 100w Fender Rumble),

If you would like to run the electric bass through the L1 (with bass module), instead of the Fender Rumble, then you'll appreciate the extra low-end support you'll get with the B2.

electro-acoustic guitar,

drum machine (BeatBuddy)

You'll get better results with the BeatBuddy using the B2.

and two voices through a 200w amp/PA and speakers on stands.

I'm thinking LI model II, but don't know what bass speaker/s to go for. We can play from small pubs to outside events.

Outdoors, the B2 will perform better than the B1.

Hope someone can make some suggestions.

The B1 is a great unit and if you want to continue using the Fender Rumble, then it might be fine. If weight is a consideration, the B1 is only 25 pounds vs. 40 for the B2 but you won't get as much low-end support for the BeatBuddy.

Indoors, you can rely on reflections to help the bass frequencies. Outdoors, without those supporting reflections, you will appreciate the difference between the B2 and the B1.

Does that help?
ST 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

That's great. Much appreciated. I wasn't sure if the L1 model II had five inputs or if I needed anything additional.

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 21, 2018

Due to weight, I use 2 B1s instead of the heavy B2. Works great.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Terry Martin,

I got focussed on

I'm thinking LI model II, but don't know what bass speaker/s to go for. We can play from small pubs to outside events.

Let's take a closer look at your inputs

1. Vocal Mic
  2. Vocal Mic
  3. Electro-acoustic Guitar
  4. Electric Bass
  5. BeatBuddy drum machine

You can go with a T8S or T4S Tonematch mixer.

The T8S has eight full-feature channels (ToneMatch Presets, EQ, Effects) plus two Aux inputs.  That will give you all the inputs you need and room for expansion.

The T4S has four full-feature channels (ToneMatch Presets, EQ, Effects) plus two Aux inputs.  That will give you all the inputs you need for the mic, guitar, and bass. You can use one of the Aux inputs for the BeatBuddy. You won't have ToneMatch Presets, EQ, Effects on the Aux input and you will likely use the volume control on the BeatBuddy.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Thanks, that's the advice I wanted. 40lb is the same weight as my Fender Champion 100 (which I rarely use) but seeing as the B2 is more compact I'm guessing it's easier to carry. I think the BeatBuddy would be happier with the B2 as well.

Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

The B2 is larger and kind of clumsy to carry compared to 2 B1 units but puts out more bass.

Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

You will need some kind of mixer in addition to the L1 Model 2.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Hello,

I play electric bass in a two pc band, just bought the l1 II and the B2 bass unit....it's perfect and sounds great!

Mike Moreau

Facebook.com/Beside Ourselves

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Get the T8S mixer to go with your rig