Steve_in_EC
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

L1 Model II w/TI Tone Match

I have been been using a L1 Model II system w/the T1 Tone Match mixer for a while, now.  I am a solo guitar/vocalist and play frequently at area churches.  I use a Shure SM57 microphone and either a Taylor T5 or Takamine Santa Fe Acoustic guitar.

Recently, I experienced the following:

I was performing at a church I had played at previously with no problems. The setup and sound check went fine and, since I was not going to be performing immediately, I powered the system down.  When it was time for me to play, I powered up (as I typically do), and I couldn't get any sound out the speakers, only an unusual static/humming sound.  I checked all cable connections, etc. and tried shutting down and powering up again, but still had the same result. When I got the unit home, I set it up and tried to replicate the problem, but the system worked just fine. Do you have any ideas as to what could have caused this?  All I can think of is that something was causing electronic interference with the T1 Tone Match unit but, since I had played at that venue multiple times without any incidents, I am at a loss as to what could have caused the interference.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Mister_D
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 31, 2010

Re: L1 Model II w/TI Tone Match

Steve, The next time that happens go to your cable that connects your T1 to the power stand. I too had a problem similar to this at a gig. It does make you panic. The problem was the cable plugged into the T1. It "Looked" like it was plugged in. BUT, it was not plugged in all the way. I have been using the the same basic system for years and that problem just surfaced. Maybe it's just because of the constant plugging and unplugging the cable. This has happened twice now to me and it was the same thing both times. It looks and feels like it was all the way in but it wasn't. So now I make sure I push it in a little bit harder to make sure.   Hope this helps Dave

Simon Patrick
Participant
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

Steve in EC posted:

I have been been using a L1 Model II system w/the T1 Tone Match mixer for a while, now.  I am a solo guitar/vocalist and play frequently at area churches.  I use a Shure SM57 microphone and either a Taylor T5 or Takamine Santa Fe Acoustic guitar.

Recently, I experienced the following:

I was performing at a church I had played at previously with no problems. The setup and sound check went fine and, since I was not going to be performing immediately, I powered the system down.  When it was time for me to play, I powered up (as I typically do), and I couldn't get any sound out the speakers, only an unusual static/humming sound.  I checked all cable connections, etc. and tried shutting down and powering up again, but still had the same result. When I got the unit home, I set it up and tried to replicate the problem, but the system worked just fine. Do you have any ideas as to what could have caused this?  All I can think of is that something was causing electronic interference with the T1 Tone Match unit but, since I had played at that venue multiple times without any incidents, I am at a loss as to what could have caused the interference.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

The only thing that I can think of that might possibly be the issue is the voltage level supply to your unit. If there happens to be a drop in voltage on the circuit you are on, this may cause the unit to shut down. One way to assess this would be to use a power conditioner that has a voltage meter on it.  I dont know all the particulars about this but I do know some L1 Model 2 users insist on having a dedicated circuit and assessing the voltage line before using their show to ensure adequate 120 voltage.  An AC unit or anything with a big power draw on the same circuit might be the issue. Hope you figure this out soon.

Tom_Pernal
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

99% of all electrical - audio - fiber optic - etc., are poor terminations. Maybe the data cable between the mixer and the base would be my first choice to look. buy a 6' RJ-45 data cable and keep it as a spare in case the original one fails.

oldmachead
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Simon Patrick posted:

The only thing that I can think of that might possibly be the issue is the voltage level supply to your unit. If there happens to be a drop in voltage on the circuit you are on, this may cause the unit to shut down. One way to assess this would be to use a power conditioner that has a voltage meter on it.  I dont know all the particulars about this but I do know some L1 Model 2 users insist on having a dedicated circuit and assessing the voltage line before using their show to ensure adequate 120 voltage.  An AC unit or anything with a big power draw on the same circuit might be the issue. Hope you figure this out soon.

I always use one of these to keep an eye on the voltage that I'm getting for my L1.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/produ...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.54.20 PM

gerardsound
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Yes, it has happened to me also. Mine was the cable. I always carry a back up cable. Fixed the problem.  I carry many backed up items,  Never take a chance.