Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

L1 Model II with QSC K131 subwoofer

Spun off from T1® to two L1 Model IIs

OK, now supposed in addition to the two B2 subs I have, I want to also use one of my QSC KW181 powered subs. What would the proper way to add that into the system?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 13, 2015

Re: L1 Model II with QSC K131 subwoofer

Hi Rob,

Since I don't use a Bose mixer I can't help you with anything related to that but I CAN answer questions 3 & 4. I have been using my L1 MIIs with several digital mixers (Presonus, Behringer, and Midas) and prefer the flexibility that they offer for my particular needs. 

As far as question 3 goes, what would be the purpose of routing an external mixer through the T1? I have always believed that the less things in the signal chain, the better. Using the other mixer would allow you to easily incorporate your KW181 sub by assigning it to an aux output so you can send only the low frequency instruments to it (ex - kick drum and bass guitar) so you don't have to stress out the B2s. I use this type of setup for larger gigs and it works VERY well since an 18" sub compliments the L1/ B2 nicely. If you're not familiar with "aux fed subs" check it out on YouTube.

Good luck with your L1s, I'm sure you'll love them more and more every time you use them!

Highlighted
Registered since

May 28, 2009

Rob has anwered this one too, use the Aux outputs and set the EQ to limit the outputs to the lower frequencies. When using other manufacturers subs with the Bose system be aware that positioning can be critical to avoid diminishing the sound quality through phase issues, room acoustics and volume levels. There are plenty of posts in this forum on the subject, it would be worthwhile checking them out.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

OK, now supposed in addition to the two B2 subs I have, I want to also use one of my QSC KW181 powered subs. What would the proper way to add that into the system?

Thanks everyone for the support in this forum. I think once I get these few questions answered I will be set (yeah probably not :-).

Rob

Since the QSC K181 line out is full range (instead of high-pass) I think you should try the Aux Fed Subs approach suggested by Yamahaha.

You could try running it from the Model II Power Stand Bass Line out - but that will have the B2 EQ applied to it. You'll have to try it out to know which sounds best to you.

Here's a link to previous discussion about the QSC K181.

ST