ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Model II with new T8S

Hi Chuckm,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, you will have to update the firmware on the T4S.

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

One of the features I liked about the T1 was that I could use CH 4/5 for my keyboard and those channels could be edited, plus I still had 3 channels left for other instruments.

I see on the T4S CH's 5/6. I suppose I would be asking to much to see if these channels can be edited so I could use them for my keyboard. I think I read some where they were to be used for Aux which makes them not editable. Right?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chuckm,

Chuckm posted:

One of the features I liked about the T1 was that I could use CH 4/5 for my keyboard and those channels could be edited, plus I still had 3 channels left for other instruments.

There's no direct equivalent of the T1 channel 4/5 (really one channel with two inputs).  The T1 was mono. There's no way to do this with a T4S or T8S because they are stereo. Another approach is to use the mono output from the keyboard to T4S channel 4. But if you need stereo separation, then the T8S is a better choice.

I see on the T4S CH's 5/6. I suppose I would be asking to much to see if these channels can be edited so I could use them for my keyboard. I think I read some where they were to be used for Aux which makes them not editable. Right?

The T4S Inputs 5 and 6 are Aux inputs. They are not full featured channels like 1 through 4. They are hard-wired to the main outputs. You can set the Level and Pan, but there is no processing or editing available for the Aux inputs.

Internally there is no difference between the T8S and the T4S - except that the T8S has more channels, and the T8S must be powered by the supplied ToneMatch power supply. 

Given your requirements, the T8S seems a better choice.

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I make no excuses for my illiteracy regarding these high tech products, even with my high tech keyboard there is a forum to help out. Bose and their customers are very fortunate to have you ST. I'll stay the course with the 8. Thanks

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I have a job that I am trying to book. When I went to check out their layout I noticed their ceiling were a little low. The L1 Model II sets up at 7 ft. The place I am trying to book has a ceiling of 81 inches, 3 inches shorter than my towers. So here is the question. Has anyone ever used just the bottom part of the towers and if so how much effect does it have on the sound. I also use the BI subs. 1 stick on each side dual mono. Thanks

ScubaBadger
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Think I read somewhere in the past you can use the top set (remove the joining locator) and place a 1/4 jack in the jack slot on top of the power stand.

id wait to have that confirmed by ST or a BOSE authority.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chuckm,

Chuckm posted:

I have a job that I am trying to book. When I went to check out their layout I noticed their ceiling were a little low. The L1 Model II sets up at 7 ft. The place I am trying to book has a ceiling of 81 inches, 3 inches shorter than my towers. So here is the question. Has anyone ever used just the bottom part of the towers and if so how much effect does it have on the sound. I also use the BI subs. 1 stick on each side dual mono. Thanks

That's a low ceiling.  The good news is - you can operate the L1 Model II using only the lower half of the Cylindrical Radiator®.

Please see this article for details:

Half Stack

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I assume this was written before the T8S came out. Completely different connection setup than the T1. I still use two sets of towers and really don't want to harm anything.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chuck,

The article is equally applicable today. 

We're concerned about harm to the L1 Model II Power Stand while running with only the lower section of the Cylindrical Radiator®.  You won't harm the system, regardless of the signal source (T1, T4S, T8S).  There are other considerations noted in the article though. For others reading along, please see: Half Stack

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I took both tops off and inserted the cables into the "base line out" and then turned on the system.Immediately noticeable was the lack of volume. I usually set the volume for a room that size to 12 O'clock. I pushed the T8S up to 2 O'clock and got a little more volume. My sense is, in order to get more volume and balance perhaps raise the entire system = power stand, B1 and half stack up to a level similar to what it would be in using the entire stack. Quality of the sound wasn't to bad, given we lost 24 speakers. But I plan to use a guitar player in this gig and my hope is he will sound okay. Anyone's thoughts are appreciated. Thanks