chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

Re: L1 Model II with new T8S

Hello again. I have two sets of the Bose L1 Model 11's, the T1, a Korg PA4X Arranger Keyboard and use a Neumann KBS 105 microphone. Occasionally I have a friend work with me playing guitar, hence why I need more channels. We all have different ways of doing things, I'd be curious to hear how your first gig goes with the new T8S. Take care.   

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

ST. Since I am now using channels 4/5 on the T1 for my keyboard. Can I use channels 9-10 for the same purpose on the T8S. Then the follow up question is are the new master outs you pointed out now used for the speakers? Remember I use two sticks.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chuckm,

Thanks for the interesting questions.

Chuckm posted:

ST. Since I am now using channels 4/5 on the T1 for my keyboard. Can I use channels 9-10 for the same purpose on the T8S.

Channels 9-10 are routed directly to Master Outputs.  There's no processing on those channels. If you want to add Presets or Effects you'll need to connect to the regular channels, 1-8.  Do you use Presets or Effects on your Keyboard in your T1®?

Then the follow up question is are the new master outs you pointed out now used for the speakers? Remember I use two sticks.

The new master outputs: You will connect them to the L1® Model II Power Stands Analog Inputs. Use balanced cables (1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve).

All set?

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I somehow lost my response before I was finished typing it. The keyboard comes with it's own effects. But to stick with the basics, I can come out of my left/right out of the keyboard into channels one-two of the T8, set the balances the same on each channel using the proper cables and use them as dual mono. I'm a little ahead of the game since I don't have the 8 yet. Just getting ready for a quick start up when I do get one. Thanks

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chuck,

Yes, you can do what you said. However, since you are adding any processing to the Keyboard signal. you CAN use channels 9-10. You can adjust the pan and levels if you want under the Aux/Pan control. But if you leave things alone - the defaults should work for you.

This will leave channels 1-8 open for other things.

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

Once I get the T8 I will consider all my options. Thanks for the guidance.

Pangui
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Hi ST , I was wondering are there any benefits of using a cat5 cable to connect the bose mixers to a bose power stand over a conventional xlr or 1/4 inch balance cable because I see that the t8 mixer has left and right xlr out connections 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Pangui16,

Bose engineered all the ToneMatch mixers (T1®, T4S, T8S) to offer the same excellent quality audio whether you use the ToneMatch cable or a balanced cable for audio.

If you are using good quality balanced cables there should be no difference between using any combination of XLR and 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve connections.

The benefit of using the Cat-5 cable for the T1® or T4S is convenience because you don't need to use the T1®/T8S power supply. Unfortunately, the Model II Power Stand can not supply enough power to operate a T8S.

Does that help?

ST

chuckm PA PA
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

ST.I was going over all of our notes over the weekend. If I am right I won't be able to connect both sticks digitally to the 8S as outlined in the manual. Just analog, right?  

Pangui
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

ST posted:

Hi Pangui16,

Bose engineered all the ToneMatch mixers (T1®, T4S, T8S) to offer the same excellent quality audio whether you use the ToneMatch cable or a balanced cable for audio.

If you are using good quality balanced cables there should be no difference between using any combination of XLR and 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve connections.

The benefit of using the Cat-5 cable for the T1® or T4S is convenience because you don't need to use the T1®/T8S power supply. Unfortunately, the Model II Power Stand can not supply enough power to operate a T8S.

Does that help?

ST

Yes indeed it clears the air I can use the tone match with other systems the power supply is about $35 not too bad good to know thank you st